New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

eBay question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

So, I had an item up for auction on eBay (a PC graphics card) and it's the first auction I've put up in ages. Within a few hours of posting it, someone snatched it up using "Buy It Now".

Anyway, the guy hasn't paid for it (I thought it was customary to send a payment immediately after doing BIN). I've sent him an invoice, to which he didn't respond.

Am I to assume this guy is playing games, or is it customary to wait a certain amount of time for a response?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Did you list in your auction that payment is needed right after buying?

If not, looks like 4 days is the customary waiting period before filing a dispute.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
Did you list in your auction that payment is needed right after buying?
No, I didn't. I always thought that BIN meant that you were "buying it now", not putting it on layaway

Quote:
If not, looks like 4 days is the customary waiting period before filing a dispute.
Cool beans, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

I just found it curious that this dude snapped it up instantly (the auction was online for less than 2-3 hours and had very few hits) and then let's it sit there with absolutely no response. If he'd have just replied back with something like "thanks, I'll send payment as soon as I get a chance", I would have felt a little more comfortable.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
No, I didn't. I always thought that BIN meant that you were "buying it now", not putting it on layaway

I just found it curious that this dude snapped it up instantly (the auction was online for less than 2-3 hours and had very few hits) and then let's it sit there with absolutely no response. If he'd have just replied back with something like "thanks, I'll send payment as soon as I get a chance", I would have felt a little more comfortable.
I hate it when this happens, which is what made me add the requirement for buyers to pay right away. IMO, if you use buy-it-now, you should do that if you have the money available.

I would give him 3 days after auction ending. If they don't pay, or respond to your invoices, report them to ebay.

I've gotten real tired of the dead beats on ebay. I'll cancel someones transaction, even if they are the winner, if I smell something fishy, and send second chances to anyone else that was interested.
Enough of my ranting. Hope he pays you soon!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

There's a setting that can require instand PayPal payment when they use BIN on eBay...I always have that on.

But yeah, 4 days is the avg wait time. But eBay's reporting process requires a certain amount of time before it will even let you file a report.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
There's a setting that can require instand PayPal payment when they use BIN on eBay...I always have that on.

But yeah, 4 days is the avg wait time. But eBay's reporting process requires a certain amount of time before it will even let you file a report.
I used iSale5 to generate the auction. Thought I had gone through all of the settings - perhaps it just doesn't support that function. Bummer.

Anyway, live and learn I suppose. I'll let you all know how I make out.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I remember way back when I first started using ebay it was 3 days. 4 days makes sense.

I guess I am more thoughtful than some buyers on Ebay. If I click on someone's Buy It Now, I have the $$$ in Pay Pal or my bank and instantly transfer it to them. Why make them wait? And besides, when I bid on something, I want it and want it to get here ASAP. I won't even bid on anything unless I am ready to pay at the end of the auction.

Keep us posted CWA. If you hear nothing in 4 days, he might be a flake.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

What does the guy's feedback rating look like?

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
What does the guy's feedback rating look like?
That is a very good question. If he has done a lot of buying and no one has complained, you are probably safe. I read a few of the feedback comments usually on a user I am dealing with to see if there is any kind of pattern.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

CWA...sounds like you already got plenty of great answers. I would echo the same thing as already mentioned. Give the buyer a couple/few days to pay for their item. If this buyer has a decent amount of feedback (more than 50-100)...I would think that they would pay fairly quickly.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
GraceGuitars

GraceGuitars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If he'd have just replied back with something like "thanks, I'll send payment as soon as I get a chance", I would have felt a little more comfortable.
Non-communicativeness is my biggest pet peeve It truly amazes me how many people simply don't communicate . . . or wait until the last minute to do so.

-Jon
iMac 27", 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
Macbook Air 13", 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Yeah, he has 400+, so I think he's ok.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, he has 400+, so I think he's ok.
Hopefully a high positive rating as well.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Hopefully a high positive rating as well.

- Nick
In the many years, 13 I think, I have been on Ebay I was only ripped off one time. A Bearcat police scanner radio. Dood took a pic of the model I wanted but shipped an old and beat up lesser model. Did so from his university dorm using using their email. When it arrived I wrote the dood, said either he made it right or I would go to the dean of his university and cause a ruckus.

He wrote back begging me not to turn him in and saying what do you want. I said my money back and the old scanner. He sent me the $$$ and HE quit Ebay! That was the only one so far that tried to rip me off. I am usually very careful but that one he has great feedback so I trusted him.

Again do keep us posted CWA! I am sure all will be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
In the many years, 13 I think, I have been on Ebay I was only ripped off one time.
For me...I guess it depends on how you define being ripped off. I've been an e-Bay member for I think 10 years...with about 125+ feedback (100% Positive)...and I've had about 5-7 transactions (buying & selling) that didn't go 100% as planned. This includes:

- sold a car (same car twice)...two different non-paying bidders!!!
- sold a Mac OS 10.5 Install disk...buyer said it didn't work (yes it did I tested it before shipping)...Paypal said refund the buyer...never got the disk back!!!
- sold front forks for a motorcycle...non-paying bidder
- bought a used Dell 1705 17" laptop computer...it didn't have the higher-end specs that it was advertised as having (only had basic specs)...worked out a price adjustment with the seller...but I would have preferred the better specs.
- bought two Airport cards...only received one!
- bought what was supposed to be a 17" Apple LCD monitor...when it came it was only a 15". Made price adjustment with the seller...would have preferred the 17" monitor.

I think that there are a couple more "bad" ones as well that I cannot remember. Even with these "negative" experiences (out of 147 total e-Bay transactions)...I would still use e-Bay. These "down-side" transactions have just made me much more careful when "e-Baying"!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Some british humour parodying tech products | Joshua Kors has no idea how to use a Mac, returns it »