New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

What Is This Material Called?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Meteora

Meteora is an unknown at this point

I'm looking for this kind of material because I know it's super soft and could never scratch anything. It's like this fiber-ish white material that resembles a thin layer of malleable styrofoam, though I don't know the technical name of it. Here are some visual examples of what it looks like.

It is used by many manufacturers of electronics, like Nintendo with their DSi's. This DSi was just taken out of its bag that is shown below the DSi (Note: the layer shown on the exterior of the bag is a plastic-like surface that is on top of the soft fiberish material that I want. It was the softer, inner portion of this bag the DSi was touching).

Same with Macbooks too. A lot of them come in this soft material so that they don't get marked by harder substances (i.e. stuff that are plastic and whatnot).

The reason I'm wondering is, I own electronic products but it's been years since I bought them and some of their original packaging materials are gone, and I want to be able to re-pack them as best as I can when I move out, which is most likely happening later. So I want to use this material to wrap most of my stuff up when they get shipped. I want to cause them the least damage as possible.

It's not so much about shock-absorbency, either. I think bubble wrap takes care of that. It's about keeping them unmarked and unscratched, which this material will work perfectly for.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Expanded Polypropylene is what you might be looking for.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB3
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Polypropylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It comes in many forms!
QUOTE Thanks
Meteora

Why am I having trouble finding a place to buy this stuff?

From my searching, I stumbled upon forms of this I never saw before, like propylene chairs, random plastics or thick styrofoam sheets but I was looking specifically for the thin white soft material we see in our product packaging.

I'd be amazed if this stuff was not allowed to be bought by the public!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

WHere i go to get stuff like that is Storage Places ..... Where you go and hire a Storage place and in the office they sell Styrofoam, Bubblewrap, Loose Styrofoam pieces, and airbags ???
Best option i can offer ?? Dont know where ya from but i can get it in similar places here in Australia

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Meteora

Foam Packaging Supplies: Find Foam Rolls, Foam Wrap & Foam Pouches from OfficeMax

Please tell me these prices are a joke. Seriously? I was expecting 5-20 dollars for most of these things. These cost more than the expensive electronics I've trying to protect them in!
QUOTE Thanks
Meteora

Found these at Office Depot: Office Depot Micro Foam Packing Sheets 12 x 12 Pack Of 100 by Office Depot

Surprised they don't sell them in bigger. They're just 1 feet squared.

By the way I found the name of the material (poly-propylene was a broader term) it's microfoam I'm looking for. No surprise actually. Almost anything with "micro" preceding it doesn't scratch anything, like microfiber, which I use to clean my stuff.

I wish there was somewhere I can buy microfoam sheet rolls from (that are at least 1 feet by many many for feet, hence a roll). There's got to be a place? That isn't like a Chinese website or involving an awkward method of online shopping.

Well here's another one: http://www.rpconline.com/Polyethylen...lls_c_411.html

Jesus Christ at the prices.

If only they were selling ones with 100-200 feet I'd pay for that because that would be between 50 and a hundred dollars which I'm willing to dish out.

They're smallest length is frickin 550 feet. Wtf?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

WOW not cheap is it

Why i personally like to go into a STORE to look at this sort of thing. From a chinese web site god know what you could be purchasing

Good luck with it all and thanks for posting back what you have found

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Meteora

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
WOW not cheap is it

Why i personally like to go into a STORE to look at this sort of thing. From a chinese web site god know what you could be purchasing

Good luck with it all and thanks for posting back what you have found
Thanks and you're welcome.

So you know of a store it can be bought from? Can you name the store and I know you're in Australia but it doesn't hurt to ask.

They sell them at Office Depot here in America problem is like the link above says, it's just 12 feet by 12 feet which is not enough say to cover a desktop PC, CRT monitor, big glass mirror, some poster frames I have etc. that the size won't cover.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteora View Post

So you know of a store it can be bought from? Can you name the store and I know you're in Australia but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Hmmm l know of places here. Office works, Bunnings, Clarke Rubber and Storage Places .....

Nothing that will be the same in the US but any BIG hardware stores or Walmart or BestBuy from what i have heard about those stores should sell something like it ?? Its the best i can offer mate. If you lived here i could buy you some in less than 10minutes from where i live :9
Doesnt help you out though does it lol

QUOTE Thanks
Meteora

Call me crazy but is there anyway you can get this stuff in the form of gloves??? I would absolutely love having to deal with delicates with this kind of material to prevent hand sweat from dirtying/nails from scratching.
QUOTE Thanks
Meteora

Still wondering guys thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

If anyone knew, they would post. It won't help to bump.
QUOTE Thanks
Meteora

I thought someone probably missed it...
QUOTE Thanks
iMacaroni2

iMacaroni2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21" iMac duce core and a 15" I7 MBP

try grainger.com and mcmastercarr.com, they sell

Foam,Polyethylene
Item # 5ZX27
Polyethylene Foam, Bubble Height 1/8 Inch, Roll Length 175 Feet, Roll Width 12 Inches
PACTIV
2085 Usually ships
While Stock Lasts 1
$46.75
Clearance
$42.08
Add to Personal List Quantity More Info

Pouches, Polyfoam, PK 275
Item # 4TU75
Polypropylene Foam Fill, Low Density Foam Pouches, Thickness 1/8 In, Resistant To Abrasion, Length 9 In, Width 6 In, Package Quantity 275
PACTIV
AF1
2085 Usually ships
1-3 Days 1
$60.70

Bubble Wrap Bags,Sealable,PK 50
Item # 1HAK5
Bubble Wrap Bags, Sealable, Length 8 1/2 In, Width 7 In, Carton Length 15 7/8 In, Carton Width 9 5/8 In, Carton Height 10 In, Bubble Height 3/16 In
PREGIS
0760-0700316
2086 Usually ships
While Stock Lasts 1
$16.89
Clearance
$11.02

Bubble Roll,HP,1/2,12 In x 50 Ft
Item # 5VEW7
Bubble Roll,HP,1/2,12 In x 50 Ft
APPROVED VENDOR
5VEW7
N/A Usually ships
Today 1
$19.79

Polypropylene Foam,Roll Length 450 Ft
Item # 1HAY6
Polypropylene Foam, Roll Length 450 Ft, Roll Width 24 In, Perforation Increments 12 In, Thickness 1/8 In
PREGIS
0760-2500339
2085 Usually ships
Today 1
$91.80

Corrugated Wrap,W 24 In,L 250 Ft.
Item # 3EVP2
Corrugated Wrap, Single Face, Roll Length 250 Ft, Roll Width 24 In, Paper Material, Brown
SCHWARZ
0760-1450048
2085 Usually ships
Today 1
$50.10
Select
Items to Grainger Item # and Description Compliance
& Notes Brand &
Model # Catalog
Page # Availability Ship
Quantity Price
Protective Packaging - 500 products found Showing 1 - 5 of 32 pagesShow products per page 1 2 3 4 5 | > Next
Sort by:Change Display:Go to page:
**The "Usually Ships" reflects when an item is generally expected to ship from Grainger based on its stocking location. Real-time availability information will be shown during the checkout process and on the e-mail order confirmation (for U.S. and Puerto Rico - US customers only). Please allow additional delivery time for international orders.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Retrieving Old Copy Text | Windows 8 may focus heavily on gaming to recover lost share »