New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Dead hard drive is boring >.>

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

So Iíve got this dead hard drive sitting on my desk here collecting dust, itís opened up and waiting for itís punishment.

I googled what I should do with it, but making clocks seems beyond the time I have and windchimes isnít exactly me.

Anybody have their creative cap on today?

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Trash it alas! Not even a good paper weight or door stopper.
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Hummmm...

I guess you’re right. I hope hard drives like sledge hammers.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

No, no! Use this instead,
YouTube - HackaDay thermite-based Hard drive destruction

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I have a better option. Email Adam and Jamie (the Mythbusters) and tell them you want to donate a few things to them. Sure you won't get it back in one piece after they are through with it but hey it's all in the name of science right .

But if you really feel the need to destroy the drive and have a little fun in the process here are a few options you have to destroy the drive.

1. Sledge Hammer
2. Angle Grinder
3. Welding/Blow torch
4. Shotgun or take it to the rifle range for target practice with the gun of your choice
5. Take it to the explosives range and watch it go boom.
6. Neodymium magnet or watch it fly into the air with a magnet from an industrial crane
7. Take it to the local steel works and get it melted down in the furnace
8. Industrial shredder. Yes some shredders can take down a hard drive
9. Thermite as said above.
10. Give it a bath in hydrochloric acid or the strong corrosive acid of your choice
11. Take it to the local Army barracks on open day and let an APC or tank drive over it.
12. Microwave it. Mind you not at home as it might to boom in the microwave.
13. Blend it - like that guy from blendtec who has blended everything from hockey pucks to iphones.
14. Tie it to a fireworks display
15. Unscrew it, dunk all the parts in liquid nitrogen then drop the frozen parts so they shatter on the ground

Well I can't think of any more ways. .
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And if you are a spy for the KGB or similar proceed with the thermal lance destruction.
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

I just had a brain storm. I have several HDs lying around, not all dead but none are big enough to use as a backup disk, so I have no use for them. I'm going to take out the shiny thing (it's name eludes me right now) on the inside, and put them on my walls in my room. Eventually, my whole room will be covered in the things! I think I'll start collecting.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printerman View Post
I just had a brain storm. I have several HDs lying around, not all dead but none are big enough to use as a backup disk, so I have no use for them. I'm going to take out the shiny thing (it's name eludes me right now) on the inside, and put them on my walls in my room. Eventually, my whole room will be covered in the things! I think I'll start collecting.
Shiny thing=platter

You could make a mobile out of the discs. Just use metal wire instead of fishing line. You could also make towering sculpture art out of the platters by using a hot glue gun and stacking them in weird ways.

You could also make a motorcycle!

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I may have a dead hard drive to smash to pieces soon too..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RIP 2010 Vikings Season! HAH! | Intel: 1000-core processor possible »