New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Ditching cable tv for streaming

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neonmac

neonmac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it

The wife and I are seriously are considering ditching cable TV for streaming from Hulu and Netflix. Netflix has unlimited TV shows and movies for $7.99 per month. Way cheaper than our $130 a month cable bill, that includes internet. We hardly watch TV anyway. Thinking about getting a mac mini to hook up to our TV.

Anybody here done this?. I started thinking about it months ago after reading about it in Mac Life.

The only thing Microsoft could make that would not suck, would be a vacum.

www.obsessivemacdisorder.com
QUOTE Thanks
SirGaGa

SirGaGa is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPad 16GB, MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4GB HD, 32GB iTouch, 8GB itouch, 4 GB video nano.

Well personally I havent done so,

but obviously if you're going to be saving however many monies
then you should totally go for it,
and Hulu is very convenient since it shows a lot of popular shows nowadays!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

But but but...you'll miss the Golf Channel!
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I've been trying to convince my parents that they should abandon cable TV for streaming to save money, but there are like 3-5 channels thay can't live without.

Also, I just wish the all the available options would let you use Hulu, instead of being forced to use Hulu Plus.
QUOTE Thanks
neonmac

neonmac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it

I am so ready to make the move to just streaming. I watch Stormchaser's on a Wednesday which is available on youtube anyway and that is about all I watch. Moving into the final stages of switching and shall post up on how the whole transition goes.

The only thing Microsoft could make that would not suck, would be a vacum.

www.obsessivemacdisorder.com
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I've dumped cable for awhile now...actually (other than brief try having it again) haven't had it for about 3 years now.

Netflix, Hulu, and AppleTV are all I really need. Everything is pretty much available online.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Once I can find a streaming solution for live sporting events and local news then I'll be interested in giving up cable. The thing is the cable companies aren't even trying to be price competitive. Some have actually raised prices rather than lower them. They are just motivating people to drop their cable service when they do that.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Once I can find a streaming solution for live sporting events and local news then I'll be interested in giving up cable. The thing is the cable companies aren't even trying to be price competitive. Some have actually raised prices rather than lower them. They are just motivating people to drop their cable service when they do that.
I understand sports, but what is at all worthwhile on local news anymore?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It would be great to be able to drop cable TV altogether and just stream, however, most cable companies offer reduced prices for bundling. My ISP - Verizon offers a price reduction for FIOS TV if you subscribe to FIOS internet services. Either one alone would cost 20% more. Not saying I enjoy paying around $100/mo. (including taxes) for both services, but just the high speed FIOS alone would be close to $60 (including taxes).
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

What we did was cancel the hd cable subscription, and downgrade to the regular 13 channels. Our Toshiba tv have a built in tv-tuner, so they automatically find hd channels(plenty of all the cool shows I like). We also Have netflix and xbox live for media stuff...almost forgot about the apple tv!! Xbox live now has espn live shows with all the good games. We went from $170+, which included internet/tv/telephone, to only $57 dollars a month. I can honestly say, most tv subscriptions are filled with garbage shows/infomercials! You start to realize how much time tv actually take up from your life.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I understand sports, but what is at all worthwhile on local news anymore?
Not a whole lot but do like catching up what's been going in my area. I don't live out in nowhere so there are some interesting news that happens locally. Also there have been times when people I met in real life have talked about some local news and I have not heard about it. I guess it's partly for conversation about local events when I met up with local friends and acquaintances but I find it nice to keep up with local news as opposed to what is going on with the rest of world news I get from the internet.

It's not a deal breaker for me but I think I'm just used to having easy access to it. I can read local news from the internet but I like listening/watching it in the background while I'm doing other stuff like preparing dinner. It's a very quick and easy way for me to catch up with what's been going on in my area.

For example there was recently a bomb threat that drastically effected my morning traffic and possible safety. The morning news had good coverage of it.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Quote:
For example there was recently a bomb threat that drastically effected my morning traffic and possible safety. The morning news had good coverage of it.
Are you talking about OSU by any chance?

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Not a whole lot but do like catching up what's been going in my area. I don't live out in nowhere so there are some interesting news that happens locally. Also there have been times when people I met in real life have talked about some local news and I have not heard about it. I guess it's partly for conversation about local events when I met up with local friends and acquaintances but I find it nice to keep up with local news as opposed to what is going on with the rest of world news I get from the internet.

It's not a deal breaker for me but I think I'm just used to having easy access to it. I can read local news from the internet but I like listening/watching it in the background while I'm doing other stuff like preparing dinner. It's a very quick and easy way for me to catch up with what's been going on in my area.

Just buy a $20 antenna and get the local stuff in HD over the air for free.

QUOTE Thanks
Scott Baret

Scott Baret has a spectacular aura about

I second the idea of the antenna. The only thing I ever watch on cable is baseball, and an mlb.tv subscription works for that. Yes, there are blackout areas, but if you like a team from out of town, it's not a problem. (Of course, if you go to a lot of games at home, you'll hardly miss TV--something tells me this was done so MLB teams could sell more tickets to those who don't use cable).

Everything else I used to watch on cable I've replaced with better (and free!) online alternatives. CNN has its website where one can pick and choose the news stories, Weather Channel's website doesn't make one wait a half hour for the local forecast, and sports scores are always available from the major websites.

My problem with cable is that it's not "a la carte" and one must purchase the entire package of channels when only one or two actually get used. If I only use FSN, why pay for channels I never watch like Nickelodeon or MTV? This is precisely why I will be switching to mlb.tv and a box top antenna for my trusty old CRT television in the near future so I can still get local news, PBS, and the few shows I do watch on the major networks.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Antennas are great. We lost power during the last snow. The Honeywell kicked in and we were warm and watching local channels within 20 seconds. While the DirectTV satellite dish went out due to snow in the trees, but that antenna had us covered.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows Phone 7 devices free at Microsoft's own stores | 15 Awesome Things We Learned From The 1985 Steve Jobs Playboy Interview- Business Ins »