New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Repurposing my old PM G5 case

Thread Closed

DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Forewarning: this thread might breach on EULA violation, but i'm not sure, it's kind of a grey area. If it makes any mod uncomfortable, feel free to let me know and close it, I don't mean to offend, but I'd like some insight.

So, I was thinking... I have my old dual 2GHz powermac G5 with a fried logic board and possibly fried CPUs sitting in my dad's basement. I'm considering getting new hardware for the internals and kind of customize a seating arrangement for it. I figure I get pretty decent accommodations from Intel. I could probably get a nice motherboard and an i7 or two for a fairly reasonable price. I'm thinking it'd be sweet to "hackintosh" my old powermac with updated hardware. I'd go all in and get a 5870 for it, too.

How do-able do you think it is? Is it completely in violation of the EULA or only iffy? Would it even work well?
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

With the case, you can do whatever you want with it...it's the software that matters. I've been thinking of doing the same thing with the spare G5 case that I have, just not all at once.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

You can do whatever you wish with the cases fellows, only running Apple software breaches the copyright.
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice

Yea, but does it really? Like, if I bought a logic board and an i7, it'd effectively be a mac pro haha. If I get a non-EFI enabled motherboard and trick it though, then it's no longer a mac. At what point is it no longer Apple hardware? I mean, i suppose I could turn it into a linux box, but that'd be a waste.
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Well they and their Legal Department thinks it does. These are the conditions you as a purchaser of software agree to.

A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.
DarkestRitual

There's a big f'in Apple logo on the outside of the case. If I pay my 30 bucks, that does not violate A. The last working OS on the machine was 10.5.3.
GraceGuitars

GraceGuitars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
There's a big f'in Apple logo on the outside of the case. If I pay my 30 bucks, that does not violate A. The last working OS on the machine was 10.5.3.
I think it's pretty clear. If the guts of your computer (the motherboard) is NOT made by Apple, then you can't use it to run an Apple OS. The case is NOT the computer, just its house.

-Jon
iMac 27", 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
Mac Mini, 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM
Macbook Air 13", 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM
DarkestRitual

The logic boards Apple sources aren't made by Apple.
GraceGuitars

Quote:
The logic boards Apple sources aren't made by Apple.
I worded that poorly. Whether or not Apple 100% manufactures the board is not the point. If it's not an "Apple-branded" computer, you can't use OS X on it. That is crystal clear in the EULA.

Once again, just because there's an Apple logo on the case, does not magically make anything you put inside it Apple-branded.

-Jon
DarkestRitual

The RAM i put in it has a crucial brand on it. Am I violating the EULA? I mean, come on. Either way, I'm running OS X on it if the project goes down, but we'll see if it ever does.
GraceGuitars

Quote:
The RAM i put in it has a crucial brand on it. Am I violating the EULA? I mean, come on. Either way, I'm running OS X on it if the project goes down, but we'll see if it ever does.
Then you will be violating the EULA if you do. What does the ram have to do with this? That's like changing the brand of spark plugs on your Mercedes' engine. It's still a Mercedes' engine. But if you're going to use a non-Apple-branded motherboard, then that's like putting in a Toyota's engine into your Mercedes--it's now only a Mercedes in appearance from the outside. It's just an analogy, so please don't try to pick it apart. The point is, the EULA is obviously referring to the board, not the ram, hard drive, video card, etc.

-Jon
DarkestRitual

I can use any EFI motherboard. They are not apple branded. That's also like saying that the Mustang you souped up under the hood isn't a mustang still.
GraceGuitars

Quote:
I can use any EFI motherboard. They are not apple branded.
Well, really this type of discussion (Hackintosh) is not allowed on M-F, so I'd just drop it if I were you. You're obviously already determined to violate the EULA if given the chance.

-Jon
DarkestRitual

And you're obviously blind to any view beyond "omfg, but, but, the EULA!" I paid 2500 dollars for that tower. The logic board fried. That wasn't my fault. If I replace it, I should still be able to run OS X on it. The last working OS was 10.5.3. It's not hackintoshing it as much as it is necromancy.
GraceGuitars

Quote:
And you're obviously blind to any view beyond "omfg, but, but, the EULA!" I paid 2500 dollars for that tower. The logic board fried. That wasn't my fault. If I replace it, I should still be able to run OS X on it. The last working OS was 10.5.3. It's not hackintoshing it as much as it is necromancy.
Running Apple's OS on non-Apple-branded hardware is the definition of Hackintoshing. It's something you agree not to do when you purchase and install OS X. Apparently, you don't respect Apple's ownership and licensing stipulations. You do realize you don't own the OS, right? You've just been licensed it under specific regulations. Same as any software.

As I said, you've obviously already made up your mind to make up your own rules regarding the EULA, so this conversation is ended.

-Jon

Thread Closed

« MISSING: Jenni-Lyn Watson | Flexible screens on the way for E-readers »