New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Leopard 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Thinking of taking the "Leopard 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6" or "Snow 101: Support Essentials" course, but here is my question, with OSX Lion coming out next year do you think it would be best to take it or wait for "Lion 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6"?

Any comments / suggestions will be gratefully received.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

If you can, find out how long after the release of each operating system the courses debuted.

In the short term, you're better off on Snow Leopard.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB3
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Thinking of taking the "Leopard 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6" or "Snow 101: Support Essentials" course, but here is my question, with OSX Lion coming out next year do you think it would be best to take it or wait for "Lion 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6"?

Any comments / suggestions will be gratefully received.

- Simon
I'm going to answer this question in a blunt and hopefully humorous way (no personal attack meant or intended)...but if taking this course is important to your professional career...can you afford to be "unknowing" of the many things Mac OS 10.6 related (if you don't know them already)...for the next 6-12 months or more before OS 10.7 "Lion" is released...and then the "Lion 101" course is offered?

When OS 10.7 Lion is released...you could also ask the same question..."Should I take the Lion 101 course...or wait until the Mac OS 10.8 101 course is offered?"

Professional training courses are always a moving target...since things are always changing...so you constantly have to keep taking training courses to stay current.

I guess my questions are:

- Why do you want/need to take this course...Is it for professional or personal reasons?
- Do you feel that there is a lot of things relating to OS 10.6 that you don't already know...and this course would fill in all the gaps. Or do you know 10.6 pretty well...and are concerned that taking the course will just be a waste of money?

Hope this helps...and again...no "meanness" intended,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice

Haha no meanness taken Nick, I currently have my own business (only as a side business) and have taken the *cough* MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) *cough* courses.
I want to A/ take the apple course for my business more for a show than anything showing that I have a certification in Apple products and B/ having something to show if I retreat to the employment route.
I was thinking that even if I did take it now and Lion comes out it will still cover most of Lion anyway as Lion is just a build on top of SL. But then I thought if I took it for Lion that it would show to be a more up-to-date course.
Hmmmm many ponderings from me i'm afraid

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the details...makes total sense. I'm guessing that these courses are not cheap...and it also sounds like it is REALLY not essential that you take the course.

Just like you said...the 10.7 Lion course would probably build on the 10.6...so there is probably some overlap in the 10.7 course between 10.7 & 10.6...just like if you took the 10.6 course...there would probably be some overlap between 10.5 & 10.6.

If you're really having a tough time deciding whether to take the 10.6 course or not (and you REALLY don't need to take it for anything job related at the moment)...then maybe you can wait for the 10.7 course. But if being able to advertise (from a business perspective) that you've taken the 10.6 course (and it could be helpful for the business vs. your competition)...then maybe taking the 10.6 course would be beneficial.

There are obviously some complexities to your situation:

- personal "side business"
- something to list on your resume
- possibly cost or time to take the course
- etc.

I guess you have to weigh the pros & cons. Something to consider.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Many thanks Nick,

Lots of things to think about of course. Think I might go down the route of waiting for the 10.6 course.

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Lots of things to think about of course. Think I might go down the route of waiting for the 10.6 course.
Do you mean the 10.7 course?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

My opinion is if you need to do the course now for your job, take the 10.6 one. But if the funds for this are coming out of your own pocket I would wait for 10.7. Simply cause of the major iOS features being added + the app store and many as yet unannounced features. It seems OSX/iOS integration is Apple's next big thing. And since those courses are really expensive it's best to learn all about that.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Do you mean the 10.7 course?

- Nick
I love it when I confuse myself

Cheers for the input everyone!

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stream Direct TV , is this real or scam? | Magic Jack...anyone know about this? »