New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Apple discussion censoring

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

InternetCloud

InternetCloud is on a distinguished road

Yesterday I made a posting about Apple Aperture 3 on Apple's discussion forum. Today I received an email saying that the posting had been removed. Do you think Apple is right to remove it?

The posting read:

I am surprised that Apple allows its software to be released with an elementary spelling mistake. In the raw decoding sharpening setting, someone has written "affect" in the pop-up tool tip when what they meant was "effect".
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetCloud View Post
Do you think Apple is right to remove it?
Their board, their rules. So yes, it was their right to remove it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

I don't think it's 'right' that they removed it - but it is their right to remove it.

You would have thought a reply along the lines of 'Thank you for spotting the spelling mistake! [insert solution here]' would have been helpful.
QUOTE Thanks
InternetCloud

@Schweb: What I meant was, would you have considered my posting inflammatory or otherwise unsuitable and removed it if it had been up to you?
QUOTE Thanks
InternetCloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Bassist View Post
I don't think it's 'right' that they removed it - but it is their right to remove it.

You would have thought a reply along the lines of 'Thank you for spotting the spelling mistake! [insert solution here]' would have been helpful.
That's how i felt. I just think it reflects on Apple, that they should censor such a harmless, factual (and helpful) remark.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
@Schweb: What I meant was, would you have considered my posting inflammatory or otherwise unsuitable and removed it if it had been up to you?
It wouldn't matter what his (or my) personal opinion happened to be. It has to do with the rules of the individual forum, what is allowed and what is not allowed.

We probably allow a great many things Apple does not allow in their forums. On the other hand, there are things not allowed here, that other forums do allow.

Apple has their method for bug reporting and I don't believe they allow that in the forum.

Here and here.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Yes, because Apple's forum guidelines clearly state that the forums are not for reporting bugs.

If it violated their terms, it was their right to remove it, just as if you break any of our Community Guidelines, we will remove your post here. Whether anyone particularly agrees or not is irrelevant, there's no free speech when it comes to private message boards. You have to play by the rules that are setup for that space.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
LelandJLK

LelandJLK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
if you break any of our Community Guidelines, we will remove your post here. Whether anyone particularly agrees or not is irrelevant, there's no free speech when it comes to private message boards. You have to play by the rules that are setup for that space.

Cheers to this!
QUOTE Thanks
ZachUSAman

ZachUSAman is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram

private forums, they can remove whatever they want.
or edit whatever they want, same with these forums.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
just as if you break any of our Community Guidelines, we will remove your post here. Whether anyone particularly agrees or not is irrelevant, there's no free speech when it comes to private message boards. You have to play by the rules that are setup for that space.
It's like the law. You don't have to agree with it. Most people do not agree. But it exists for the good of the people. Cause without law there would be chaos and anarchy. And the same no these forums. Sure one or 2 good and legitimate posts get deleted. But that's price we pay to ensure the waves of spam are kept from these M-F forums.

If you don't like rules, make your own forums with no rules. And be prepared for every man and his dog to abuse the "no rules". If there is something to abuse, it's in human nature to abuse it. So we need the rules to make sure things are treated properly and not abused.

And to the OP. There's a time and a place for everything. And the time and place for your bug report was the Apple feedback page and not the forums. hence your deleted post.
QUOTE Thanks
GraceGuitars

GraceGuitars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am surprised that Apple allows its software to be released with an elementary spelling mistake.
That's what I would call inflammatory, yes. It sounds really sarcastic and . . . as if you expect infallibility (it's not like there were misspellings all over the place, I assume).

I think we get too used to public complaining on forums that serves no real purpose other than venting. Best to report a sincere concern directly to someone who can do something about it.

For example, this past winter I found some rather basic errors in a German grammar book published by a British company. This was the second edition; the first edition did not contain these errors, making it all the more concerning. I looked up the company online and found the email for the lead editor for the foreign language division of the publisher. I emailed her to express my concern and, in the end, was even offered a free copy of the next edition coming out in 2011, a $50+ value. Point being, it was far more productive to take my concerns to the source, not the peanut gallery

-Jon
iMac 27", 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
Mac Mini, 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM
Macbook Air 13", 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HP Slate sees surprise demand, new orders delayed into 2011 | Best Buy Black Friday Ad »