New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

WP7 US launch marked by small lines, none at Microsoft store

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

WP7 US launch marked by small lines, none at Microsoft store
WP7 US launch marked by small lines, none at Microsoft store | Electronista
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

That has to be a painful to acknowledge for Microsoft. It's going to be a tough uphill battle for them in the smartphone market.

I wonder, if their largest market segment would be their employees...
Microsoft to employees: 'everybody gets a Windows Phone 7!' -- Engadget
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
That has to be a painful to acknowledge for Microsoft. It's going to be a tough uphill battle for them in the smartphone market.

I wonder, if their largest market segment would be their employees...
Microsoft to employees: 'everybody gets a Windows Phone 7!' -- Engadget
Then you can really say the W7 phone was never used by anyone outside of MS .
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I loled through class when this was at the top of one of the news headlines. What did they expect with such a weird user interface? That's not taking a step forward, more like taking 10 steps back with that interface. I wonder what Ballmer has to say about this?

The way I see it is, if you want a great phone, get an iphone. Can't afford it, get the latest android phone and still end up with a great phone! WP7 fits nowhere on that list.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

I agree with the above. Even some of the android phones of late are slowly getting quite respectable. I fear the people who designed the W7 mobile did not get it. And I think the proof of this is in the final released product.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Actually, I find the interface quite interesting. I especially like the social media integration.

I'm definitely going to a store to check it out in person, though of course I'm sticking with my iPhone 4.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Microsoft Tech: Long line* at AT&T store on Phone 7 Day | Network World

This is a fun read. Aparently, there was some bribery involved to get some big lines at the stores.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
Microsoft Tech: Long line* at AT&T store on Phone 7 Day | Network World

This is a fun read. Aparently, there was some bribery involved to get some big lines at the stores.
Quote:
It turns out though, from comments below, that Microsoft may have used the same concert ticket gimmick for the Kin launch earlier this year, also known as the Kin debacle. "You'd think Microsoft would learn to try something different this time. But no, it's KIN all over gain," wrote the Kin Man. Britton clarified that the concert tickets, a joint AT&T and Microsoft promotion, were given away on a first-come, first-served basis and that no purchase was required.
So yeah on the one line up in the W7 mobile release day, most people bought a concert ticket and not a W7 mobile. But in the iphone 4 launch day there was many many line ups and 100% of the people in the line either bought an iphone or wanted one and missed out on that day.

It seems people are not "into" MS products like back in the 90's. I remember the lines up for Windows 98 on the TV news. Midnight release and it was crazy. But these days most people don't think MS products are "cool" anymore. Hence no need to line up and be one of the first to brag about getting one. Unlike Apple products where the line ups are huge and the unboxings are all over the internet.

For me MS are ticking all the boxes for "A product that does the job it says". But the box for "you will have a lot of fun or seen to be cool while using these products" is empty. I think MS as a brand is not considered cool anymore. MS need to really spice up their image and marketing campaign. And not the dodgy funeral or Jerry Seinfeld in a shoe store tripe. Some real innovative ads that are not cut/change a word or 2/paste from someone else. But a real original idea. I know that's asking a lot from MS. But I think that's what they need.

So in my opinion the products are sound. But flashy and cool but they get the job done. But the marketing and brand like-ability stinks.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

The nifty different color themes to me is a sight for sore eyes- I mean compared to the icons-on-a-screen interface that iOS and Android have.

Of course, I would still use an iPhone any day over WP7, but still...

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I'm surprised people are easily swayed by concert tickets. Why?? It just boggles my mind. T_T"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

I'm certainly not an MS hater, but I have to say that I just find the interface to be ugly and somewhat awkward. I think I'd stick with my blackberry before I'd make that jump, and my blackberry is about to drive me nuts.

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Free concert tickets to a sold out show, just for waiting in a line for a few hours? Where do I sign up?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

Didn't Microsoft have a huge parade or something about this before, Where they carried a big dead iPhone or something like that?

EDIT: Neowin.net - Microsoft workers celebrated Windows Phone 7 RTM with iPhone hearses

Found it, yes they did.... Epic fail M$, epic fail. Way to make yourselves look like total goons.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Windows Phone 7: Why it's a disaster for Microsoft
Windows Phone 7: Why it's a disaster for Microsoft | Mobilize - InfoWorld
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I'm surprised people are easily swayed by concert tickets. Why?? It just boggles my mind. T_T"
To a nearly sold out show, or to not pay the $180 for a good seat ... Yesss please

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Cat the Sport's fan | Any advice on changing someone's Facebook profile pictures? »