New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Why do Mac users constantly have to justify themselves?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thekris1234

Thekris1234 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB

Hi all,

I have recently started using a mac and have got into a really good game. But when they update it and I get an error I say something on their blog like everyone else does. But as soon as I mention mac the first suggestions are "it's because your using a mac" or "just get a pc". This has happened on several forums with several programs.

I'm sure lots of people get this. I never realised that I had to justify to the world why I bought a mac. Starting to get a bit tired of it now because it's hard to find the helpful answers amongst the crap.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 Mac mini - 10.10.1

We Mac users justify having one because there is nothing like one. Windows works on multiple hardware variations- Mac OS X works on what Apple designs. There truly is NOTHING like a Mac. Everything works. And if some people don't understand it, let them figure it out.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.1
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10.1
QUOTE Thanks
DescendeadRose

DescendeadRose will become famous soon enough

I never really have felt a need to justify myself yet. I'm new to Mac as well. I REALLY liked Windows 7. Have nothing bad to say about the OS itself, and anyone that says the OS is not competent or doesn't work as well simply doesn't know better. It's the EQUIPMENT that can be troublesome, for me. I don't know much about gaming, so I'm not sure how they work as far as that goes, I only have 3 games for my Mac and very seldom play them. So the use of Macs for that may still yet be difficult I guess?

It's simply not an issue with Macs. OS X is designed to run on a Mac. Macs are designed to run OS X. It works. If you buy something from the Apple store, there are no worries (unless you're running a very old Mac I guess?) You go home. Plug it in. Install it. Whatever you do with it and it simply works. I love it, and to me, it's worth everything for that. I don't have to buy a program/component I want, and then worry all the way home "will it work with my particular machine or will there be a driver error?"

Most people who ask why we bought Macs would understand if they ran one for just a week.

Late 2010 iMac 27inch
2.93GHz i7
12GB RAM
2TB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Macs are not exactly known for gaming. They can but the hardware for Macs are limited, especially if you are trying to game on a notebook.

Those people are kind of right when it comes to gaming. Get a Windows machine for that. For everything else I would use my Mac over Windows.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DescendeadRose View Post
I never really have felt a need to justify myself yet. I'm new to Mac as well. I REALLY liked Windows 7. Have nothing bad to say about the OS itself, and anyone that says the OS is not competent or doesn't work as well simply doesn't know better. It's the EQUIPMENT that can be troublesome, for me. I don't know much about gaming, so I'm not sure how they work as far as that goes, I only have 3 games for my Mac and very seldom play them. So the use of Macs for that may still yet be difficult I guess?

It's simply not an issue with Macs. OS X is designed to run on a Mac. Macs are designed to run OS X. It works. If you buy something from the Apple store, there are no worries (unless you're running a very old Mac I guess?) You go home. Plug it in. Install it. Whatever you do with it and it simply works. I love it, and to me, it's worth everything for that. I don't have to buy a program/component I want, and then worry all the way home "will it work with my particular machine or will there be a driver error?"

Most people who ask why we bought Macs would understand if they ran one for just a week.
Exactly the reason I switched years ago my friends that had Mac's would always say we don't have that problem when I would complain about something not working and while its not perfect the Apple experience has been better for me.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Wow, I have to say in all my years using Macs, I never have had a constant need to defend having one. I wonder where all the haters are hiding when I'm around?

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Wow, I have to say in all my years using Macs, I never have had a constant need to defend having one. I wonder where all the haters are hiding when I'm around?
Depends where you hang out. They come in droves and like to attack in gangs of 5 or so.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Depends where you hang out. They come in droves and like to attack in gangs of 5 or so.
Oh, I stay out of those neighborhoods.

QUOTE Thanks
DescendeadRose

DescendeadRose will become famous soon enough

Shouldn't be too hard to dodge their attacks You can see right through Windows

Late 2010 iMac 27inch
2.93GHz i7
12GB RAM
2TB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekris1234 View Post
This has happened on several forums
Consider the source. It's the internet and chair-bourne rangers run amok.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Whenever someone asks why I ask them why not...

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Just laugh and point out their virus, malware, spyware and Windows 2000, Me and Vista problems and they will get very defensive.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I always get these sort of comments from my one friend who works at Microsoft. But I always laugh, when he'll disconnect from our voice chat, then he'll come back with "Oh… I … mistakenly kicked my surge protector." I've caught him using that excuse twice!

Another time, he interrupted me mid-sentence with, "I think I'm going to crash, wait a second… Okay, I'm good."
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
Another time, he interrupted me mid-sentence with, "I think I'm going to crash, wait a second… Okay, I'm good."
Priceless. That's a classic moment.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
Was that on Chatroulette?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« To any Californians... | How do you deal with stress? »