New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Ebay account was hacked

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ace.13unibody

ace.13unibody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G

Well last night around 9 I posted an Iphone 3G for sale on ebay (on my PC), then around 11 PM I received an email telling me my account had been compromised and was shut down. There were no links, or give us information links, and after logging looking at my account on eBay the news was true.
The codes I received from eBay were:
MC033 Account Security Notice: eBay Auction(s) Canceled
MC027 Billing - Temporary Exclusion From Automatic Payment of Selling Fees
MC010 Support Warning - Account Security (Selling) - Restored Account

So, now I'm all nervous because right before I logged in a "previously logged in" popped up along with my user ID on the eBay page that said (F**KYOUMOTHERF***ER) but I didn't really think anything of it, thought maybe it was my brother joking around. I guess thats not really clear, I'm talking about for example when you are getting ready to log in and you double click the "user ID" and the previous log in names display below.

So should I be worried about bank accounts, credit cards etc. too?

I'm thinking about just not using my PC for any personal info like that anymore, and just using my mac.

I'm running a full scan of updated Malwarebytes
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.13unibody View Post

So should I be worried about bank accounts, credit cards etc. too?
Did they use the same password as you used for your eBay account? Is the password on all of these accounts strong?

Quote:
I'm thinking about just not using my PC for any personal info like that anymore, and just using my mac.
It likely has little to do with your OS and more to do with the strength of your password. You're probably just the random recipient of a password hack attempt.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I had this happen to me a couple of years ago, where the person who hijacked my account placed a bunch of motorcycles for sale, which gave me more than 300 dollars in fees. I contacted ebay, paypal, and all accounts associated with ebay and paypal to change passwords over the phone. Ebay retracted the listings and fees right away. You gotta call everyone as soon as possible! It's easier to change passwords to everything, than it is to deal with theft!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
ace.13unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Did they use the same password as you used for your eBay account? Is the password on all of these accounts strong?

It likely has little to do with your OS and more to do with the strength of your password. You're probably just the random recipient of a password hack attempt.
The password was honestly terrible, it was from years ago, and I rarely use eBay, so I may just put a good password on there after this happened. Hopefully I don't have any more issues
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.13unibody View Post
The password was honestly terrible, it was from years ago, and I rarely use eBay, so I may just put a good password on there after this happened. Hopefully I don't have any more issues
That's probably why.

The strategy I recommend is this...

come up with 3 passwords that are strong. It should have a change of case, at least one number and at least one special character. I would recommend NOT using English words.

A good example would be something like this:

G0ing2+h3St0R3!

It spells out "Going to the Store!", but it's not an English word - and very difficult to hack with a brute force attack.

Come up with three passwords like this. Use one for every day, low-security needs (registering for generic websites, etc). Use one for social networking (forums like this one), online shopping and other medium-security sites. Then, reserve one for financial and high-security sites like online banking and any site that has a lot of identity information.

This way, if you ever get hacked, you have multiple layers of security. Getting one password does not mean that the hacker can completely own you.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
The strategy I recommend is this...

come up with 3 passwords that are strong. It should have a change of case, at least one number and at least one special character. I would recommend NOT using English words.

A good example would be something like this:

G0ing2+h3St0R3!

It spells out "Going to the Store!", but it's not an English word - and very difficult to hack with a brute force attack.

Come up with three passwords like this. Use one for every day, low-security needs (registering for generic websites, etc). Use one for social networking (forums like this one), online shopping and other medium-security sites. Then, reserve one for financial and high-security sites like online banking and any site that has a lot of identity information.

This way, if you ever get hacked, you have multiple layers of security. Getting one password does not mean that the hacker can completely own you.
Thanks for the tips "cwa"...I appreciate it!!! I would have to start writing those types of passwords down somewhere.

On the positive side I do follow a couple of the rules you mentioned. My passwords are "alpha-numeric" and are not English words.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Thanks for the tips "cwa"...I appreciate it!!! I would have to start writing those types of passwords down somewhere.

On the positive side I do follow a couple of the rules you mentioned. My passwords are "alpha-numeric" and are not English words.

- Nick
Well, that's why you come up with something that makes sense to you. Come up with a short phrase like "I ate the 2 pound burger!" and then just switch it up a bit:

i8th32#Burg3r!

This way it's relatively easy to remember (after you've typed it a few times), but it wouldn't make a bit of sense to someone until you've explained it.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Well, that's why you come up with something that makes sense to you. Come up with a short phrase like "I ate the 2 pound burger!" and then just switch it up a bit:

i8th32#Burg3r!

This way it's relatively easy to remember (after you've typed it a few times), but it wouldn't make a bit of sense to someone until you've explained it.
I'll have to do some practicing using that method (or abbreviated language).

You HAD to mention a "2 pound burger"...I'm hungry!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Leet speak is fun.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
ace.13unibody

Thanks for the advice. All my other passwords are pretty complex, but I just was neglecting that one because I never use it (I know not a good excuse) but now I learned, at least eBay caught it !!! I'm hungry too, thanks for reminding me hahaha....Smash Burger sounds good.....mmm
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« LifeHacker- How To Break Into a Mac…And Prevent It From Happening-> To YOU | Formatting usb »