New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

How do you deal with stress?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

School, especially this semester, is being very stressful right now. So many test/essays...sometimes I just lay in bed till 4am because all the things that keep running through my mind...only to have to wake up at 8/9am to get class. It's getting worse now. We're getting hammered with anatomy practicals/weekly 8-page essays/bio exams/chem exams/2 lab exams...oh mannnn. I think my coping mechanism is buying things. I think I do it to get my mind off of school. I'm bidding on two powermac g5's, won 1 black ipod video auction(bidding on another white one), bought a 500gb seagate m.XT drive, and a WD Black 500gb in case the XT is a dud. I lost an auction to a powermac DP 1.8 that was in AMAZING condition by only 5 dollars Now I'm out for revenge Was at a rave 2 days ago...time of my life! This semester needs to end(hopefully with B's or higher in all of my classes please) asap!

What do you do to cope with stress?

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

A really good book to read is the power of now.
In short, it is basically it is all about learning techniques to live in the moment, without doing your head in about the past or the future.
It really is worth getting a copy.
Other than that, exercise before bed, be it gym, yoga, pilates, running, etc. is a really good way to release good endorphins in the brain, exhaust your thoughts and body so you can sleep pretty soon after your head hits the mattress.

That book is really worth a go though.
Here's a little story/review from a reader.
The Power of Now
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

It depends on your outlook on what exactly is stress.

We had a very famous sportsman in Australia who had been a fighter pilot in WW2. Commenting on TV at a sports match, he was asked about the stress modern day sportsmen and women have to go through.

'Stress? Stress? A Messerschmidt on your #$%@ (rear end) trying to blow your head off - that was stress!"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
It depends on your outlook on what exactly is stress.

We had a very famous sportsman in Australia who had been a fighter pilot in WW2. Commenting on TV at a sports match, he was asked about the stress modern day sportsmen and women have to go through.

'Stress? Stress? A Messerschmidt on your #$%@ (rear end) trying to blow your head off - that was stress!"
It does put things into perspective a bit, doesn't it?

I've been through a bit of a stressful time at work over the course of the last few weeks, and it's definitely effected my home life. But then I realized, that the worst thing that can possibly happen if things don't go well at work is that I'll be fired. I think just that little bit of perspective was enough to help me deal with things a little better.

Idrin: My wife gave me a bit of advice awhile ago and I think it helped me quite a bit. She said that a person can tolerate anything for a finite period of time. As long as there is a "light at the end of tunnel", it's just a matter of breaking the problem down into pieces and and working through it systematically.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

My stress relief is a good..loooooooooonnnngg…bike ride.

A realllllllly loooooooonnnng bike ride= 2 hours for me. My mind focuses on the bike, the power my legs force upon the drive train (pedals, chain etc.), my heartbeat and the cool wind in my face. Ah. Stress=Finito.

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.2 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Nothing better to fight stress than a large amount of physical hard work... Like knocking down a tree, dig a hole, go for a long run.... Something that gets you totally exhausted.
Then take a nice hot bath.
Works for me every time.

Over the years I learned that the best way to handle stress is to avoid it ( if possible)

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Hmm. I can't say I really suffer with it too often, life's too short and so I stay chilled, but there's nothing like a good workout on the drum kit to relieve any tension I'm feeling.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I can understand the Aussie thing. A lot of people that come back from war do say civilian life has no stress compared to the war.

Personally though I write songs about the stressful situations. Gets it sll of my chest and I feel much better.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Privatization is key, especially with all you have going on at school.

My biggest piece of advice is to cut the things out of your schedule that you do not need to be doing, regardless of how much you think you want to do it.

Make a list of the things you have to do like school, work, etc. The rest is optional. Make some difficult choices on the things or activities you'll need to put down.

I was in the same position as you so I totally get it, but I know from personal experience that if you don't cut some activities out, no matter how much you like them, to get yourself some down time, you'll never get rid of the stress.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

To quote Homer Simpson:

"To alcohol; The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!"

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Music.. I put lots of time into my music.. playing, recording.. whatever.. it's very stimulating/relaxing..

Oh, and beer helps
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
..sometimes I just lay in bed till 4am because all the things that keep running through my mind...only to have to wake up at 8/9am to get class.
Just for the sleeping part of it, I've found that getting up is the best way to get to sleep. While I'm up, I do something boring until I get drowsy, usually within a half hour or so. Then I get back in bed and go to sleep. Your body is tired already and needs rest. Just sit and stare at the wall. Leave the lights off. Don't watch TV. If I have things that need to get done on my mind, I make a list of them. Getting up for 30 minutes is way better than laying there for 6 hours!
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCosmicPope View Post
To quote Homer Simpson:

"To alcohol; The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!"
Quit trying so hard!

Because as Home Simpson also said, "Trying is the first step towards failure!"

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Some form of exercise that stimulates the senses in a good way like bicycling/walking through your neighborhood preferably by a park. Afterwards a nice hot shower and some
music you enjoy then a nice meal then I am down for the count.
QUOTE Thanks
LelandJLK

LelandJLK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Other than that, exercise before bed, be it gym, yoga, pilates, running, etc. is a really good way to release good endorphins in the brain, exhaust your thoughts and body so you can sleep pretty soon after your head hits the mattress.
That is exactly what I do. I have been in recovery for some time now and that was one the main downfalls for me in my dark days. It is amazing how staying busy (in a productive way), working out and being honest with yourself goes a long way. Yeah I know that seems like a lot, but it really helps with your mental and physical strengths. Stress is normal to have, but how you react to it is different.

Day by day!

Leland
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why do Mac users constantly have to justify themselves? | Color E Ink coming soon »