New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Ballmer: our biggest gamble is the 'next version of Windows'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Ballmer: our biggest gamble is the 'next version of Windows'
Ballmer: our biggest gamble is the 'next version of Windows' | Electronista

Read the comments there. They are really good.
And in my opinion Fat Ballmer and co have an issue. Modernise their OS and risk people not upgrading cause of lack of backwards compatibility. Or just add minor updates and ensure all the old code and apps work. But doing that means their OS in essence does not improve and stays locked in the 2000's.

I think MS really need to do what Apple did with Classic -> OSX or PPC -> intel. Radically improve their OS but have a really good backwards compatibility mode. Like Classic or even better something even better like Rosetta. A windows version of Rosetta for the W8 will be the best thing. And in W9 and W10 they can slowly remove this Windows rosetta when most developers are making their apps for the new Windows architecture.

It's a big gamble for MS. Even fat Ballmer with his limited knowledge can realise this.
QUOTE Thanks
thanxal

thanxal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4

What's this thing called "Windows"?

I have 'em in my house but they're all leaky and let bugs in.

Switchers are the most religious of Mac fans.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

And viruses too. Heck those windows in winter let in the cold and can give people the flu.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

They still keep on gussying up the interface, without addressing the rusted roots below. How much of a risk can that possibly be?

And it's not like you're ever going to match the elegance of OS X without exercizing total control over the hardware platform. So, why bother?

Ballmer is an absolute buffoon. May he remain at the helm of RMS Microsoft for as long as it takes.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Ballmer's biggest gamble is walking outside everyday. He's gambling that an angry mob isn't going to lynch him and string him up.

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
They still keep on gussying up the interface, without addressing the rusted roots below. How much of a risk can that possibly be?

And it's not like you're ever going to match the elegance of OS X without exercizing total control over the hardware platform. So, why bother?

Ballmer is an absolute buffoon. May he remain at the helm of RMS Microsoft for as long as it takes.
Well that's a catch 22. You need complete control over the hardware so you can fully optimise your OS for the hardware. But if MS made their windows fur use only with some new MS computer, then the workers from Dell, Acer etc would lynch him. Plus the fact the government would cry monopoly.

So it seems Ballmer can't win here. Unless he has much closer ties with the hardware manufacturers. And pretty much condenses the Dell, Acer etc lines to a small line on similar computers that can be easily be optimised by a future version of the OS.

I think it is very possible to make Windows 8 very good with the right hardware manufacturer ties. But is Ballmer smart to realise that the OS in itself is not the winner. It's the integration of software, hardware and the customer experience (ease of use of the OS, ie the UI and customer support.). I just don't think he gets this point.

This point of total integration and the ability to cut legacy support to move forward like Apple has done many times in the past is what MS need to do. But that only comes when you're customer focused and future focused (like Apple is) and not technology in itself focused and profits focused (like MS).
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
And viruses too. Heck those windows in winter let in the cold and can give people the flu.
Yep. And I can take a command-line rock and throw it into it and watch windows break.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.9.5
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

That's exactly what shareholders want to hear, Steve.
QUOTE Thanks
ZachUSAman

ZachUSAman is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram

O.o
the anti MS is strong in here... but seriously though, sticking with windows 7 and really fixing issues is great. but I would seriously support a windows 8 if it was a rebuild of the windows platform.

you can fix errors and bugs, but at a certain point you have to scrap it and redo from the bottom up.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

You're right. Windows 7 itself is not a bad piece of software. MS just can't be the total package of hardware/software/customer support like Apple can.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachUSAman View Post
O.o
the anti MS is strong in here... but seriously though, sticking with windows 7 and really fixing issues is great. but I would seriously support a windows 8 if it was a rebuild of the windows platform.

you can fix errors and bugs, but at a certain point you have to scrap it and redo from the bottom up.
First, there are a lot of people here who use and like Windows (Especially 7). I use XP, Vista and 7 here on different systems.

I agree with you. MS has kept so much in Windows that goes back to the old days. It's time for a complete refresh. It WILL upset some people, but make for a much better and much more up to date Windows. I would fully support such a move.
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

I'm not against Windows, I used it for many a year before realizing I prefer the Mac OS and Apple computers.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
35g700

35g700 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13.3" Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz C2D | 4096MB 1067 MHz DDR3 | nVidia GeForce 320m

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post

I think MS really need to do what Apple did with Classic -> OSX or PPC -> intel. Radically improve their OS but have a really good backwards compatibility mode. Like Classic or even better something even better like Rosetta. A windows version of Rosetta for the W8 will be the best thing. And in W9 and W10 they can slowly remove this Windows rosetta when most developers are making their apps for the new Windows architecture.
When Apple switched from PPC CPU's to Intel CPU's it was a hardware change not an operating system change.

I'm a Windows User and a Mac User. I've been using Windows 7 for over a year and a half and it is a lot better then XP and Vista. Sure there are some things about Windows 7 that I don't like (Along with OS X) but I don't think it needs to be completely redone. Just a few tweaks would go a long way.

Laptop PC - MacBook Pro Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM| GeForce 320m
Desktop PC - Core i5 750 @ 3.4GHz | 4GB DDR3 | XFX 6870(Overclocked) | Winows 7 x64
Certifications - CompTIA A+ Certified | Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35g700 View Post
When Apple switched from PPC CPU's to Intel CPU's it was a hardware change not an operating system change.
I know. But you missed my point. My point is seamless backwards compatibility for a while. And a while later when everyone has moved over to the new system you kill the backwards compatibility source. Cause no one will need it. Classic for example was useful for a while but when everyone moved over to OS X apps, the need for classic died. So Apple killed classic. And I think when the need for Rosetta goes away (ie. everyone makes UB or intel apps), Apple will kill Rosetta. Sure a few people with their (will be one day ancient) PPC apps will cry but for the other 99% of people who kept with the times there will be no issue at all.

It's all a case of correctly managing legacy OS code support and removing it at the right time. Apple have shown they know how to do this. MS are trying and they have done well to a point but they still have a long way to go to be on par with the smooth transitions Apple have when they introduce new architectures be them OS or hardware based.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Microsoft already IS doing a Classic -> OS X type deal, though. They have "XP Mode" in the "Pro" and "Ultimate" versions of their OS.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What was the 1st thread you started here in M-F ??? | LifeHacker- How To Break Into a Mac…And Prevent It From Happening-> To YOU »