Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Apple Care or "Black Tie"
    Hi,

bought my 21.5 imac in Sept.'10. I have not purchased the coverage. What are your thought between Apple Care and Best Buy's "Black Tie" Protection program. thanks ...

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by djpedro78 View Post
    Hi,

bought my 21.5 imac in Sept.'10. I have not purchased the coverage. What are your thought between Apple Care and Best Buy's "Black Tie" Protection program. thanks ...
    Best Buy's "black tie" includes accidental damage coverage (including liquid spills & replacement batteries for laptops)...Applecare does not.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    But Apple are known for very good customer service. And sometimes repair free outside of the warranty. Is best buy this good?

Best buy is trash, they take forever (2-3 weeks) and my friend got his notebook back with a large scratch on the lid.

I wasn't sure about it. They are always trying to sell you extra protection. Apple Care seems more appropriate since you are dealing directly with Apple.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    But Apple are known for very good customer service. And sometimes repair free outside of the warranty. Is best buy this good?
    Yes...Apple & Applecare does have some "unwritten" flexibility compared to Best Buy. On the other hand...I don't think that I've heard of many complaints about the Best Buy "Black Tie" warranty (of course I'm sure there are some folks that weren't happy...just like some folks also complain about Applecare).

You got to admit though...with all of the threads we see here on Mac-Forums regarding dead batteries (via normal use/not manufacturing defects)...and liquid spills on notebooks...the Best Buy "black tie" warranty covers both.

Yes...the Best Buy "black tie" warranty covers:

- accidental damage
    - one free replacement battery (even if worn out via normal use)
    - one free replacement/repair for liquid spills

After one accidental damage or liquid spill repair...you then need to repurchase another Best Buy "black tie" warranty. And I believe that the Best Buy warranty is not too much different in cost versus the extended Applecare.

Of course the positives for Applecare are:

- first 12 months free/included
    - VERY good customer service
    - usually a replacement computer after 3 failed attempts to fix a problem (not actually an official policy...just via users experiences)
    - some out of warranty repairs (either via special extended Apple repair programs, or a subjective ruling by a "friendly/very nice" Apple person!
    - very fast onsite (Apple Store) repairs...many times same day (within 1-2 hours).

Each plan certainly has positives.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by CanonTMR View Post
    Best buy is trash, they take forever (2-3 weeks) and my friend got his notebook back with a large scratch on the lid.
    Like I said...there's always someone who's dissatisfied with the Best Buy warranty...nothing in life is 100%. I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that weren't satisfied with Applecare as well.

- Nick

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    I don't have any experience with Best Buy Black Tie but after my good experience with Applecare I was interested and did an Internet search. Found the post below from the Best Buy community forums. Have no idea how indicative it is of their program, but makes an interesting read.

BBY - Worthless Black Tie Protection Plan - Best Buy Community
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    I don't have any experience with Best Buy Black Tie but after my good experience with Applecare I was interested and did an Internet search. Found the post below from the Best Buy community forums. Have no idea how indicative it is of their program, but makes an interesting read.
    Ahhh...I don't believe anything posted on internet forums!!! Ha ha!

- Nick

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Ahhh...I don't believe anything posted on internet forums!!! Ha ha!

- Nick
    But since this is now posted on an Internet forum you can't believe it!

That must mean you have to believe EVERYTHING on Internet forums from now on.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    But since this is now posted on an Internet forum you can't believe it!

That must mean you have to believe EVERYTHING on Internet forums from now on.
    I think that you're using the laws of Algebra here...where a:

negative x negative = positive!

- Nick

Specs:
    I think that you're using the laws of Algebra here...where a:

negative x negative = positive!

- Nick
    Actually I was using the laws of Star Trek, as in the episode where Cpt Kirk uses a logical paradox to overcome a robotic probe.

Specs:
    Actually I was using the laws of Star Trek, as in the episode where Cpt Kirk uses a logical paradox to overcome a robotic probe.
    Do you mean this one:

- Nick

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    I never buy warranties from the middleman...only from the actual manufacturer. I don't care how cheap it is, or what additional crap they can cover, in the end, they are warranting a device/item that they don't actually fix themselves, but have to ship out to another facility/manufacturer to fix. While some random items might be worth the additional BB warranty, when it comes to apple products, it's stupid to pass up on apple's own warranty and go to someone else. You broke it "accidentally," tough, deal with it! That's not what a "warranty" is supposed to cover. A warranty covering "accidental damage" is just something to lure people in to buy their warranty.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    Do you mean this one:

- Nick
    That is it!

Thread Information