New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Anybody shops at Best Buy? Has their service been getting worse?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheOneBillyX

TheOneBillyX will become famous soon enough

Wow just wow. I remember when best buy first opened and it was the place to go for all your electronic needs because they had people there who were friendly and actually knew what they were talking about. Now, the store in my area feels like it de-evolved to a Circuit City. Just rude rude customer service!!

Has anybody else been to a best buy recently and feels the same way?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I don't shop there a lot, but every time I've gone the personnel have been unfailingly helpful and friendly. Must be because I live in Arkansas.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Well, say what you want about them. I know that our guys usually try to be helpful, at least at Geek Squad.
QUOTE Thanks
TheOneBillyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Well, say what you want about them. I know that our guys usually try to be helpful, at least at Geek Squad.
Wow, and your from NY too. Must be just a California thing...specifically, suburbia California.
QUOTE Thanks
audiofader

audiofader is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM

I work in a Best Buy and I know we work our hardest to be helpful and friendly even on busy days.

Move the crowd,
Audiofader
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Best Buy employees have always been friendly and helpful to me at least here at the Best Buy in my city.

My only gripe of late with Best Buy is a lot of stuff is online only that used to be stocked in the store. I talked to 2 people at BB (One in Geek Squad and another on the floor) and they both acknowledged it was happening. Otherwise I have no issues with BB or the staff at my BB.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I only go to best buy to test stuff out. Sorry to the worker here, but I don't trust them for advice. Most of them suck on to you like leeches, even though they say they don't work off commissions. There used to be an old man who worked at my closest BB store. He was cool to talk to and actually gave you good advice. I don't know what happened to him though. He would also work us out great deals on setups/package deals, like the last time when we purchased stuff for our home theater room. Now it seems like they just want to hire young people who they know won't be in their system for a long time.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Geesix

Geesix is on a distinguished road

One thing I've notice about the BB in my area, is they always seem to try and find a loop hole in there insurance policies so that you have to pay up. And so they don't have to give you a new one, like they tell you when you buy the product.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesix View Post
One thing I've notice about the BB in my area, is they always seem to try and find a loop hole in there insurance policies so that you have to pay up. And so they don't have to give you a new one, like they tell you when you buy the product.
You mean how they don't let you return something for whatever stupid reason they claim warrants the return policy null? That happened to me with the old 30gb ipod and an Hp Touch pc. Sometimes you gotta raise a stink.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
prrs4me

prrs4me is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Now it seems like they just want to hire young people who they know won't be in their system for a long time.
I just had to reply to this. When I go in to my Apple Store I am surrounded by young people. To me they seem to be very knowledgable. Most of them are in college or have a college degree.

To answer the OP, I feel that BB has gotten away from customer service in my area. It's difficult to get someone to help you and when you do, they aren't too versed in the higher end equipment. However, other than going in to Manhattan, it's better than my other choices. I still have to do my homework.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Like any other large chain store, Best Buy has its good and bad. I've run into some difficulty with them in the past regarding returns, but for the most part they've been real good. I've had the opportunity to use their extended warranty several times. They've never given me any static about doing a repair, and in one instance completely replaced an item with a new one and that was after using it for one year.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I went to Bestbuy last night and bought an iPod shuffle, Aside from the complete lack of help or customer service, I did find what I needed. Other than that I rarely shop at Bestbuy.
QUOTE Thanks
Geesix

Geesix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
You mean how they don't let you return something for whatever stupid reason they claim warrants the return policy null? That happened to me with the old 30gb ipod and an Hp Touch pc. Sometimes you gotta raise a stink.
Thats exactly what Im talking about. I understand the putting up a stink, but I hate doing it.
QUOTE Thanks
TheOneBillyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by prrs4me View Post
I just had to reply to this. When I go in to my Apple Store I am surrounded by young people. To me they seem to be very knowledgable. Most of them are in college or have a college degree.

To answer the OP, I feel that BB has gotten away from customer service in my area. It's difficult to get someone to help you and when you do, they aren't too versed in the higher end equipment. However, other than going in to Manhattan, it's better than my other choices. I still have to do my homework.
I like the Apple Store - I always have a good experience at the Apple Store. Not surprising since I hear they have a rigorous application process.

The thing I been noticing about Best Buy is that they are getting really pushy and rude about helping customers. I know this isn't all Best Buy employees as someone here works at Best Buy and I hope they aren't like the ones I've had to be with but I remember one time, I needed to buy a memory card reader, store was a mess so I couldn't find anything so I asked for help, the employee just walked me to the aisle, grabbed something from the shelf, threw it to me, and walked away; no follow up questions like "what kind of memory card do you have?" Oh, and here's the kicker, it wasn't even a memory card reader!!! It was a USB 4 hub device!!

And last time I was there, I was buying a xbox 360 game and the cashier spent the entire time talking about how people who purchase games for the xbox 360 is stupid.

Really? Is this where customer service has gotten? I could do my homework for electronics I want to buy but what ever happened to the basics?
QUOTE Thanks
ad2MAC

ad2MAC is on a distinguished road

I've resisted from going to BestBuy for a while now, for I too have found their service to be in decline. I also can't believe at how much their GeekSquad charges for some services.

Macbook - White, 2.2 Ghz Intel Duo Core, 120 Gb, 1.5 gb RAM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Who is getting Rock Band 3? | Apple Care or "Black Tie" »