New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Magic Jack...anyone know about this?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacForever

MacForever is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 Tower

Just got a Magic Jack, do they really work?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Yes. Kind of strange to buy something...and then ask "Do They Really Work?"

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have never used one on a Mac, but I have seen the Magic Jack on a friends PC. Seemed to work very well, sort of like Vonage but cheaper per year. I have been told they work on any Modern Mac. I looked at one at Best Buy and believe it said Intel Mac but I could be wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
TheOneBillyX

TheOneBillyX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacForever View Post
It works great internationally but I don't really find use for it domestically. I know a lot of people overseas that use it.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Yes. Kind of strange to buy something...and then ask "Do They Really Work?"

- Nick
What's even more strange/funny/facepalm-ish, is when I get calls from people asking if MJ will work with our phones. I'm a customer service agent for a mobile phone company in Canada..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio.Trench View Post
What's even more strange/funny/facepalm-ish, is when I get calls from people asking if MJ will work with our phones. I'm a customer service agent for a mobile phone company in Canada..
Keeps life interesting!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacForever View Post
At least your an Islanders fan!

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

They work fine. The only problem is that the voice quality goes down real noticeably when calling internationally(which is the only reason my dad has it). That, and the fact that your computer needs to be on all the time to use it, or if you want to receive calls from it from a vop number, can sometimes make calls end quickly, or never start.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
At least your an Islanders fan!
Yep we are. Of the really big one south of the equator

And back on topic it should work. But best to ask the guy at the store (or other people online) first. Best to get all the info on something before you buy it.
QUOTE Thanks
codman1004

codman1004 is on a distinguished road

I have heard bad things about it and yes the quality does drop especially internationally, My uncle has one and when my grandma tries to call him she can't understand what he is saying
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I personally dislike and do not trust VOIP lines. I use them at work and the call quality is just terrible most times.

It's like some one's trying to talk to you through a swarm of angry wasps, the volume isn't consistant, calls drop frequently, etc, etc

I can't vouche for MJ, but I've heard both good and bad things from customers I've spoken to.

You get what you pay for..
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Usually, skype works better for us...

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
PETR0L

PETR0L is on a distinguished road

I know a friend who has one to talk local and loves it.
My mom bought one to talk to people over seas and it does fine.
QUOTE Thanks
swan44

swan44 is on a distinguished road

The magic jack does in fact work really well. I use it all the time
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6 | Garmin Etrex Vista? »