New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Would you work for minimum wage?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

swan44

swan44 is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to poll everyone here. The cost of living keeps going up everywhere, but the minimum wage is still low all over the country.

Most companies these days are looking for cheap labor and even some desk jobs pay minimum wage.

Would you work at minimum wage? Or have you ever worked at minimum wage? Share you experiences...
QUOTE Thanks
jhon99

jhon99 is on a distinguished road

Off course I would. I worked on minimum wage at a supermarket whilst at university. I learnt about Admin, team work, customer service and it also made me more commercially aware.

You wont be on minimum wage forever. Once you have proved your self you manager will be looking to promote you. Or you can carry on looking for a better paid job.

Its better to be working on the minimum wage then sitting at home.

But it depends on your circumstances.

Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I work for minimum wage.. I make roughly $1200-1400 CDN in-change after the government takes their part, my health benefits come off, and my pension/employment insurance comes off.

That's providing I work a full 80 hours.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Depends on how hungry you are and what commitments you have to meet. Of course we would all work for the minimum wage if there is no other option.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio.Trench View Post
I work for minimum wage.. I make roughly $1200-1400 CDN in-change after the government takes their part, my health benefits come off, and my pension/employment insurance comes off.

That's providing I work a full 80 hours.

In anyones book that is a GOOD minimum wage. Equates to $600-$700 a week. Here in Australia a minimum wage after tax is about $426 ....

But on subject YES i would if i had to. If it came to a place where i didnt have to i wouldnt, but if needed be of course. The sad thing is many wouldnt and would rather sit in there house, drinking drugging and taking money off the Government. Its called the Dole here in Aust.
As for rising Utilities and such its hard here as for instance, 12 months ago a power bill for the 1/4 was $380 odd and now it has gone up 61% in 12 months.
Go figure and i do really feel for the people that struggle and have to turn off every appliance just to try and bring it down. So electricity isnt a necessity anymore its becoming a Luxury that people just cant afford ... End Rant

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Ya gotts ta eats. I'd give pole dancing a go first though. You never know, maybe I'd be good at it?

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice

Yeah, every 2 weeks I clear about $730 after dedubctions.. I live fairly comfortable to say the least.

One cool thing, I'm moving in with my girl, which will eliminate a rent payment, and I'll be able to afford a car

The first one I've ever owend at that!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio.Trench View Post
I'll be able to afford a car
Nice one. The ultimate independence that is having a car. It will change your life as you know it

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Just be thankful that you have a job. Some people aren't so lucky, especially with this economy.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Not with them legs thanks XJ!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Ya gotts ta eats. I'd give pole dancing a go first though. You never know, maybe I'd be good at it?
Thanks for that.

Yes, I've worked for minimum wage but that was when I was in high school. Would I now? Absolutely not. There is one simple reason for this: I have three university degrees and I think it's fair to say that warrants a much higher salary.

That said, there is nothing wrong with working for minimum wage. Minimum wage is $10.25/hr in my province which means you make $358.75 before taxes a week which may or may not be enough depending on where you live. As long as someone is comfortable with the job and manages their finances, minimum wage should work. It's set at a certain value for a reason.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Nice one. The ultimate independence that is having a car. It will change your life as you know it

Cheers
Oohhhh I know all about it.. I've dated girls who've owned cars.. I'm just at the point in my life where I NEED a car.. Not just want one.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Not with them legs thanks XJ!
LOL. That hurts man.

Seriously though, I worked minimum throughout high school and college as a landscaper and made a tad bit more than that as a LEO. I won't dig holes anymore because I'm just not that fit anymore. I won't be spit on or fight with idiots at 3 AM again for any price because I'm far less patient and tolerant than I was in my 20's, so that's out too. As an AIX Admin with 10+ years working in the enterprise field, I certainly wouldn't provide that specific skill set to any corporation for a minimum wage contract. Fortunately, thanks mainly to my wife's financial planning, we socked away several years worth of living in liquid cash aside from the 401k stuff. The most likely scenario would be my wife going back to work until I found something worth doing. Then again, we still have title to just under 100 acres in Illinois, so I may just retire early and raise Alpacas.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Minimum wage may be the single biggest factor besides unemployment for families living
with their parents or in-laws but that aside yes I like to eat so if I had to so be it.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

In a sense we all work for minimum wage, providing we have chosen to work rather than wait on government, family or friends for financial support.

Very few people willingly work for less than their skill, experience and current job market allows them to command. Working or not working (in normal times--a lot of people out of work right now who would rather work) is a choice. How much you earn, minimum wage or much higher, depends on personal circumstance.

Bottomline: to me the question isn't would you work for minimum wage, but do you want to take personal responsibility for your future?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Man changes name to Captain Awesome | Rollover Data Plans »