Thread: Mac Genius

Cool Mac Genius
    In your opinion is it worth working for Apple as a "Mac Genius"? Any past employee experiences?

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Note: Moved to appropriate forum. This has nothing to do with Community Suggestions or Feedback.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    2 iPod Touches and iPad
    Does it pay more than you make now? Have you ever worked in retail before? You will be working nights, weekends and holidays. You will be spending a lot of time on your feet.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by socalryda9 View Post
    In your opinion is it worth working for Apple as a "Mac Genius"? Any past employee experiences?
    It's worth it if you need the money...just like any job.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1991-C4 View Post
    You will be working nights, weekends and holidays. You will be spending a lot of time on your feet.
    That sounds exactly like what I do for a living. .
    But back on topic, I thought if you worked behind the genius bar you were only at that desk helping people out with their Apple issues and the "sales" staff did the sales work. Or do people at the genius bar have to sell Apple products too?

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    As a former Mac Genius myself, I think it's a tough job. It pays pretty well, but the key things that you HAVE to have is a thorough *and accurate* knowledge of Mac OS X and the most popular programs, *and* a genuine affection for people at all skill levels.

It is REALLY HARD to find "nerds" who have that second ability to really listen and enjoy bonding with customers who don't "grok" some of the key concepts.

Oops, I said "grok." What a giveaway, eh?

A *lot* of Mac nerds *think* they like people, but what they mean by "people" is "other Mac nerds." A Mac genius needs to be able to not only "read" people so that you can communicate at a level or pace that is comfortable for them, but to have *respect* for people you've only just met or who may clearly not share your views on certain things.

Trickier than it sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    As a former Mac Genius myself, I think it's a tough job. It pays pretty well, but the key things that you HAVE to have is a thorough *and accurate* knowledge of Mac OS X and the most popular programs, *and* a genuine affection for people at all skill levels.

It is REALLY HARD to find "nerds" who have that second ability to really listen and enjoy bonding with customers who don't "grok" some of the key concepts.

A *lot* of Mac nerds *think* they like people, but what they mean by "people" is "other Mac nerds." A Mac genius needs to be able to not only "read" people so that you can communicate at a level or pace that is comfortable for them, but to have *respect* for people you've only just met or who may clearly not share your views on certain things.

Trickier than it sounds!
    Thanks for the crystal clear explanation of "Mac genius" i'm new to MAC world and have never heard about this term, now i do

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post

Trickier than it sounds!

I pretty much am one of those nerds. I like helping people out with computers. However, of the three times I applied at the Apple Store in Albuquerque, I never was hired for it. If by "grok" you mean "screw up"?
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

Thread Information