New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Xmarks - Awesome Browser Sync going away - Unless You Sign Petition!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mostro

mostro will become famous soon enough

The excellent Xmarks (previously Foxmarks) is going away. Unless they reach 100,000 signatures on this petition!

If you know what this tool is, you probably love it. If not, it's a browser add-on with support for Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari. It works on any platform these browsers are on. It syncs your bookmarks primarily, but you can also have it sync your passwords, open browser tabs, and history. It even supports multiple profiles (i.e. work, home).

I've been using this for years, and it is indispensible. Please help them stay alive If you are a user, please sign the petition. If not, well, I'd tell you to sign up, but I can see why you might not want to now, but please help us users!

'I will commit to $10 - $20 per year for Xmarks Sync' - PledgeBank (this does not require any payment, or info, all you have to give it is an email address, and click the link in your email - no personal info needed)

more info: Xmarks Blog
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Signed. I have been using this forever! However, I have already deleted it and I have started using Firefox Sync. It has been working fine, but obviously does not support any other browsers. I guess I can live with that since I use Firefox 99% of the time. I did sign the petition though and I would indeed pay for Xmarks.
QUOTE Thanks
mostro

let's keep the love going everyone
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Only 75,000 more $10-$20 pledges needed by October 15! It is gone gone gone.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Only 75,000 more $10-$20 pledges needed by October 15! It is gone gone gone.
So they need pledges of $1 - $2 million per year to keep this ad-on going?

I really like it too, but something about this is all wrong.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
mostro

I think what they're doing is, saying we need at least 100,000 people to claim they will pay $10/year for this service, in order to expect that maybe one tenth or less of those people will become actual paying customers. They're being purposely liberal in their estimate of what they need, knowing that most people will never actually follow through.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Pledged. Xmarks has been a great service. You set it and forget it, it just works!

I would personally prefer a one time charge of say 10-20 dollars.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

It also works on the iPhone/iPad, which means you can use Firefox on the desktop and still stay in sync.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

I have it on my Firefox and my Safari... That way they both sync up.
Plus, I have MobileMe, so all my bookmarks sync up between my iPad, iPhone, iMac and MBP

QUOTE Thanks
mostro

The internet mobilization worked! They have posted to the Xmarks blog today that multiple offers for purchase are now on the table, and they are confident that one will go through and the service can live on.

Xmarks Blog Xmarks Victory for the Users, by the Users

Here's to hoping the new owners will be as great as the Xmarks team has been...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Genius | Is Apple becoming Microsoft »