New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Anyone who pays for cable is a sucker

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ecgțeow

Ecgțeow is on a distinguished road

I don't really mean it like that, but I personally see the internet as the future of media across the board. No more physical media, and no more "broadcast" media either, at least in industrialized countries. I also think that the paradigm of the TV schedule is going to go out the window, and be replaced by an on demand system where episodes are released and can be rented or bought like podcasts.

I also think that, like CDs before it, physical video media will eventually be replaced entirely by digital videos. The quality just needs to improve, as well as the download speed.

Here's my ideal media solution:

All my media stored in a central location, say a computer in my office. This media can then be streamed to various devices throughout my home, or synched to things like phones or ipods. I know this already exists, but it's not as ubiquitous as I imagine it will become.

Also, I changed my mind a little, internet radio and tv news will still be live.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

You're leaving out live telecasts of sporting events. That's a big segment of TV network offerings. Internet only isn't quite there yet. I know someone who tried it for 3 months, then decided to get cable. The main reason for that was that the local CBS station wouldn't come in over the antenna with a converter box.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I haven't had cable/satellite for over two years now. Unless you need to watch sports, there's really no reason to pay for cable/satellite since there are streaming options available for pretty much any show out there. Plus, since there are so many boxes available to make all that content available on your TV, it's simple for everybody in the house to access all that content with just a remote.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Sports and local news is pretty much the main reason why I wouldn't drop cable as of yet. Streaming media is getting better with content but I also don't think it's fully there yet either.

I also think internet speeds need to improve before we can do 100% streaming. My internet speeds are okay when one person is streaming high quality content but if everyone in my house streams their own shows then it brings my internet speeds to a crawl.

I do think that premium cable such as HBO, Showtime, etc is a waste. All those shows and movies can easily be bought/rented individually through iTunes/Amazon instead of paying a monthly fee to only see a few good new movies/shows a month. It can be cheaper to buy those few good movies/shows individually.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I haven't had cable/satellite for over two years now. Unless you need to watch sports, there's really no reason to pay for cable/satellite since there are streaming options available for pretty much any show out there. Plus, since there are so many boxes available to make all that content available on your TV, it's simple for everybody in the house to access all that content with just a remote.
me too, I have regular TV, No need for cable TV for me. I don't miss it one bit.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeremy G

Jeremy G is on a distinguished road

I have Amish cable. I have a high powered antenna on my house. I get all the local channels plus 3 PBS stations. The only live tv I care about is football. Now I cant watch football on the NFL network or Monday Night Football on ESPN. So that sucks.

With the internet and Netfilx streaming on my mac and ps3 I really don't miss cable. Plus I really don't like giving money to Comca$t.
QUOTE Thanks
ZachUSAman

ZachUSAman is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram

I agree, its much easier to steal cable!

but seriously, TV isnt going away anytime soon, your way ahead of yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
ZachUSAman

ZachUSAman is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecgțeow View Post

Here's my ideal media solution:

All my media stored in a central location, say a computer in my office. This media can then be streamed to various devices throughout my home, or synched to things like phones or ipods. I know this already exists, but it's not as ubiquitous as I imagine it will become.
Thats called a server, user media/ftp/whatever. Really quite easy to make, just get an old computer with a couple of large hard drives, put all your material on it and have it connected to your various electronics.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

To those who say they are using an Antenna and regular TV, I am curious. I thought all normal Analog TV was gone and you had to have a Digital Converter box to get stations. Is that what you are talking about?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I dumped cable 2 years ago as well, and get all my shows via a combination of Hulu (plus), ABC Player, Netflix and iTunes - although there are some strange catches.

For example, Stargate Universe is available on the free version of Hulu (I watched all of last season on it). Yet, you can't watch it on Hulu Plus (which costs $9.95) on your iPad, iPhone or PS3... only on a computer, where it's identical to the free Hulu. When it comes to licensing content, there are all kinds of deals about all kinds of devices. This whole dream of ubiquitous content on all devices isn't going to be around anytime soon.

Additionally, TV shows like Fringe (which I paid $49.99 for on iTunes) would be unsustainable in a world where 70 or 80% of people streamed the show on-demand or paid 99 cents for it. The whole industry is very finely balanced economically, with almost all the revenue coming from season premier network broadcasts between 7:00pm and 9:00pm and then the endless syndications to smaller cable companies. This is what supports the industry, not you or I paying $1.99 or $9.99 a month for endless helping of reruns.

Lets be honest, no one is going to pay for 'The Biggest Loser', but cheap shows like that which rake in advertising revenue make a lot of money, and make things like Detroit 187 or Fringe possible. It's a delicate house of cards right now.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I may be wrong but I believe the newer antennas are designed to pick up the over the air digital signals for say the local channels. If your set has a built in digital tuner you probably don't need the converter box.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Its OK for those people not living in Australia .....
We really are behind the 8 Ball when it comes to Streaming Content ...
Personally i dont have cable as i dont watch a great deal of crap that is on the box, BUT it would be nice to have access to things like NetFlix and Hulu, because if we dont it really makes the new ATV pretty well defunked in this house hold. Not going to pay that sort of hard earned NOT to beable to use it to its full capacity ...
We (austtralians) have been and still are being bloody well screwed hard by our WTF Government Sorry this makes me furious Grrrrrrrrr

But on topic, Im with the OP here that Cable is not the way of the future .....

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

You will ALWAYS have to pay for something that the majority of people will/might use. It might be free now, but companies aren't stupid, they won't keep something free when they know they have the potential to make money.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

We will likely ditch the satellite when our contract ends on December. I haven't decided if internet-only will work as many shows I like are on the extra cable channels. I'm still use to getting my media when I want it and not waiting a week or months to stream it. Anyhow, I ordered an AntennaCraft HD1200 for the house. We'll see how installation goes and then decide what to do from there.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
To those who say they are using an Antenna and regular TV, I am curious. I thought all normal Analog TV was gone and you had to have a Digital Converter box to get stations. Is that what you are talking about?
I don't use an antenna because the signals around here aren't that great but you are correct about needing a converter box. At least it's true for my area. I can either buy a converter box for the free over the air TV signals or I have to get a converter box from my cable company to get even their basic cable channels.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« advantages of the walled garden | iPhone 4 Retina Display matched by upcoming Sharp smartphone »