New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

TV seasons too expensive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ecg■eow

Ecg■eow is on a distinguished road

I was looking at buying from itunes some of the cartoons I used to watch as a kid (a risky endeavor, because you never know it it'll be as good as you remember) and I noticed that they're pretty expensive. Usually a good 2 dollars or so more than what you might pay for a season on dvd from amazon, and that's not counting the fact that you don't get extras, commentary, subtitles or language selection.

So what should I do?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

>_>" You answered your own question, so what more do you want.

They charge more for it because it's already been "ripped" for your convenience.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

hold on...this requires a lot of brain power...I think I know it...AMAZON!

ôIf you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.ö Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Ah-Mah-Zon

is yah ansah'

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I typically buy TV-on-DVD when it's in the $10 bargain bin at Walmart and make my own rips.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio.Trench View Post
I typically buy TV-on-DVD when it's in the $10 bargain bin at Walmart and make my own rips.
I'm sure the quality is also better.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Just depends... Have bought a few from iTunes. ex. Sons of Anarchy
Currently Season 1 in HD is the same price both places.
Season 2 is still $7 cheaper than Amazon - not to mention the fact that I bought both seasons several months prior to them even being released on DVD or B-R.

Amazon does get a significantly larger portion of my entertainment budget than iTunes however.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I personally just buy from whichever place gives me the better deal. It's easy enough to make a ripped copy for your own personal use if needed.

Although I do like how we can access all the video files conveniently from the DVD's menu compared to a bunch of individual files when buying from iTunes. That's why even when I rip the DVD onto my computer I still like to keep the DVD menu function intact (basically making an exact copy of the DVD) rather than creating individual files of each video.

This way I can watch my DVDs like an actual DVD with its menu functions on my computer but without the physical DVD that kills battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecg■eow View Post
and that's not counting the fact that you don't get extras.
That's the killer blow for me with itunes. I really like the extras the hard media dvds have. I watch that bonus content quite a bit. And not having it with the itunes purchased content makes it really hard for me to justify paying the same price or more for the itunes files.

If itunes can add the special content to their releases I'll think about buying there. Till them itunes for me just for music. And the visual content (music videos and movies/TV I'll get from my local stores. WHich ever is the cheapest.

Well you can buy albums and individual songs from itunes with artwork booklets. Why not have individual episodes from TV series and also whole series (with bonus content) purchasable on itunes. That'd be the smart thing to do.
QUOTE Thanks
Ecg■eow

Ecg■eow is on a distinguished road

Oh, I kind of phrased the statement poorly. This was intended more as a comment then a question. We know itunes is capable of providing these extras with their movies, so why don't they?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Your First Time | If Facebook existed years ago . . . »