New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Question for the Aussies and Kiwis...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

I know there are alot of you on here.

I'm just struck by this curiously. My wife had a co-worker who went to Australia a few years ago.

Said if you go into a bar and mention you're from Texas, lots of the OZ and NZ fellows will start buying you drinks wanting to hear our wild Texan stories. Is this true?

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Not true at all. In Australia we have groups of people from every corner/part of the world. And you're very likely here to bump into/see them all. So in that bar here you're just another person. Sure if you have crazy stories we'd listen to them but we'd not stop everything, shout you a round and stop the Earth just for your Texan story.

So if your wife's co-worker is saying this, he is having you on really. It's just not true.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Sounds like an Aussie / Kiwi wind-up story

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

It is so true, if she is beautiful, big whatsits AND available. You guys, however, get nuthin'!
QUOTE Thanks
B0yB0y

B0yB0y is an unknown at this point

Everyone loves to hear a person from oversea's stories, not just if your from Texas. It's wonderful to listen to adventures a person has experienced.

I'm from Australia btw.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
It is so true, if she is beautifu, big whatsitsl AND available. You guys, however, get nuthin'!
Yep, post a photo of your wife's co-worker, and we'll tell you whether it's true or not!
QUOTE Thanks
christoh

christoh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" i7 500Gb, 2.66GHz. iPhone 5 32Gb, 16Gb iPod Nano, 8Gb iPod Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Yep, post a photo of your wife's co-worker, and we'll tell you whether it's true or not!
haha

- Chris
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

In a way it is true mate... Not so much the listening to stories, but once we hear that thick Southern accent, then we will troddle over and have a bit of a chin wag with them. I do personally if i know they arent living here. But then again ill talk to anyone lol

I had a mate over in Texas, and it happened to him being Australian there. Worked a StripClub/Bar on $5hr, but always came out with over $500 a night, just because he was Aussie lol Once the Texans heard his voice, the tips started rolling in lol

Quote:
louishen Sounds like an Aussie / Kiwi wind-up story
In the same book as Drop Bears and Hoop Snakes hahahaha

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
In the same book as Drop Bears and Hoop Snakes hahahaha
And that dingo that stole a baby all those years ago. We all know she killed the baby, but her "Dingo sole my baby" defence actually held up in court and she was found innocent. That's fail justice for you .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0yB0y View Post
Everyone loves to hear a person from oversea's stories, not just if your from Texas. It's wonderful to listen to adventures a person has experienced.

I'm from Australia btw.
I couldn't agree more!...as well as learning new terms & phrases...and how things "culturally" work in other countries.

I had to smile/laugh recently when Harry (Harryb2448) used the word "Strewth"!

I of course have gotten most of my "Australian Slang" from:

- Crocodile Dundee movies
- Steve Irwin "The Crocodile Hunter"
- and "Outback Steakhouse" restaurant commercials

...sad I know...but true!

But I'm checking out this website as well to "learn" in a better way:

Australian slang dictionary

- Nick

p.s. I found this one from the slang dictionary pretty funny..."Brown-eyed mullet"!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

LOL. Brown-eyed mullet! Priceless!

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I couldn't agree more!...as well as learning new terms & phrases...and how things "culturally" work in other countries.

I had to smile/laugh recently when Harry (Harryb2448) used the word "Strewth"!

I of course have gotten most of my "Australian Slang" from:

- Crocodile Dundee movies
- Steve Irwin "The Crocodile Hunter"
- and "Outback Steakhouse" restaurant commercials

...sad I know...but true!

But I'm checking out this website as well to "learn" in a better way:

Australian slang dictionary

- Nick

p.s. I found this one from the slang dictionary pretty funny..."Brown-eyed mullet"!
Born here, and lived here most of my life, and I'm still trying to work my way through it all!

Love cultural differences!

When I travelled to the states, I was taken aback as to how every state loved the Aussie in me, and made me feel welcome, even in LA when I was caught in the bloods territory wearing cripts colours, and saved by an LA local
Have many more stories, but that is enough for now
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What the ? | Your Broadband Plan. Are you happy with it? Will you Change it? Improvements !!!!! »