New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

USB 3 - How long will Apple take to support it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Just a poser of a question for us to discuss.
In the past Apple have been notoriously slow on the uptake with new connections. USB 2 took them an age to implement really, and then they ditched Firewire 400 (annoyingly).
With the rapid arrival of many and external HD with USB 3 connections, I was curious as to how long you think Apple will take.
Do you think the next new line of Laptops and Desktops will support it? Or do you think Apple will steadfastly stick to Firewire 800 (which doesn't appear to have much support elsewhere)?
I think they will take at least 2 more model updates personally, which would be a shame.
Would you be keen to have it? I think I would given the super fast transfer speeds.
Thoughts?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
ZachUSAman

ZachUSAman is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram

I would say the next line of laptops/desktops/ should have usb3 support, but then again, it all depends on how fast it catches on.. Currently have usb3.0 support on my computer right now, havent encountered anything to use it with. The real factor would seem to be that if the cameras catch on to usb 3.0, which is probably why ieee1394 has stuck around for so long.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would be gambling on this. Intel Research :: Light Peak
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I voted yes. That said, Apple believes everything should be cloud based or wireless. I would imagine they don't place a high priority on wired connections anymore. We are lucky to still have Firewire. If it doesn't have a 30-pin connector and interface with iTunes, it's useless as far as Apple is concerned.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachUSAman View Post
I would say the next line of laptops/desktops/ should have usb3 support, but then again, it all depends on how fast it catches on.. Currently have usb3.0 support on my computer right now, havent encountered anything to use it with. The real factor would seem to be that if the cameras catch on to usb 3.0, which is probably why ieee1394 has stuck around for so long.
Interesting. Nearly all of Lacie's current range of external HD's are USB3 enabled, which would make for some speedy transfers!

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

USB3 would be nice for large data transfer.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Most of my data transfers are not large files. I usually have to transfer insanely large numbers of really tiny files all in one go. I wonder how good USB3 would be at handling that.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Apple have a good track record of embracing new technology, so I would thing that USB 3 will start to appear in the next line of desktop updates

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
ZachUSAman

ZachUSAman is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Interesting. Nearly all of Lacie's current range of external HD's are USB3 enabled, which would make for some speedy transfers!
well with solid states coming in though, things are going to look very interesting..check out This friggin amazing video and see how fast SSDs are which might be a factor.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachUSAman View Post
well with solid states coming in though, things are going to look very interesting..check out This friggin amazing video and see how fast SSDs are which might be a factor.
How did we go from USB 3 to SSD? SSD have been around for awhile now, and they aren't practical as they are extremely expensive for the amount of storage that you get.

We have been talking about USB 3 for what like almost two years now? Hopefully they will implement it within the next two refreshes.

Light Peak is cool. I want it now.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I would really like to have USB 3 considering USB 2 is no longer fast enough for me and as you mentioned Firewire 800 lacks broad support. I also don't like paying more for devices that also includes Firewire just so I can get the faster speeds. A perfect example is external hard drives. There are plenty of decently priced USB hard drives but when they add Firewire support the price goes up.

Light Peak also looks interesting but if it doesn't gain broad support we will have the whole Firewire lack of support issue all over again. It does have a higher chance of wide support though since it's being working on my Intel. I guess we will have to wait and see...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

USB3 hasn't really found much mass acceptance in the marketplace yet. Apple is unlikely to support it anytime soon, though of course people with Mac Pros will once again reap an advantage in that someone will create (or probably already has already created) a USB3 add-on card.

Colour me a USB3 skeptic. I don't doubt that it's very fast indeed, but all real-world indications are that -- once again -- it's posted speeds are theoretical, and users will never actually see but maybe 40-60% of the posted speed in everyday use. Now that's still very fast, but I just don't like false advertising.

I admit I was holding out for -- but have now given up on -- S1600 and S3200 Firewire, and it's a shame Apple never brought them out, but I suppose they didn't feel like expending the effort in yet another "pishing" contest. I'm keeping an eye on Light Peak, but not holding my breath.

And who's to say the eSATA technology won't improve? That could give USB3 some real competition, because for the most part USB2 is fast enough for most of the things people use it for except in one area: drive speed.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

I voted Yes but if you have a PCMCIA/Express34 port, you can insert whatever connections for data transfer you want.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Added a glaringly missing poll option for you.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I like USB3, but really, I don't really care, but I DO want it, just don't care enough. It's not going to stop me from getting something.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Home theater setups | Failures in mobile space cost Steve Ballmer half his bonus »