New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

advice on buying a tv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ecg■eow

Ecg■eow is on a distinguished road

I have a vizio 20" LCD tv. It's 720p, and it only has 1 hdmi port. I want something has more ports, and has better built in sound. I'm looking for a 32", and I'm on a budget.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

What is your budget?

ôIf you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.ö Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Ecg■eow

500 dollars
QUOTE Thanks
saneman

saneman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Model Name: Mac mini Model Identifier: Macmini3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Samsung LN32C530 32-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV (Black)

Price: $499.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Want the link sent from amazon?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Have had my share of problems with samsung, and will no longer just buy something because of the Samsung name! I have owned many lcd tv's, and currently own 2 Toshibas. They have been PERFECT! I have 2 friends that have convinced themselves to purchase a toshiba of their own, and they are both very happy! All of our tv's have been switched to toshibas(besides the HP projector), best move in a long time! All of them have the "Dolby Digital" and "SRS Surround WOW" for sweet sounding sound from the stock 3d-sound bar.

If I had 500 to spend on a tv, this is the model I would buy...hinthint, my friend just got this...it's REAL nice!

Amazon.com: Used and New: Toshiba 32E200U 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV (Black Gloss)

Go to the seller "1onecall". They have excellent customer service!!
Or you can get it from TigerDirect.

1 thing that I have learned over the past couple years about tv's is that if a high volume name brand TV company, like Sony or Samsung, offer a low price range model for their stuff at the same price point as others, it's as expensive as other because of its name, and aren't always the best option, the less known company will most likely have more options in it. I know more people that are happy with Vizio than ones with Sony/Samsung combined! At $500 you WILL be able to find better options out there, one of those being the Toshiba I mentioned. I'm sure there are others too, but then you post wouldn't be a "recommendation"

Read some reviews about them.

ôIf you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.ö Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
saneman

saneman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Model Name: Mac mini Model Identifier: Macmini3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

I don't own a Samsung it was just cheap. I own a APEX Digital and it was actually made in the USA. It had 3 HDMI hook ups and has outlasted any other Digital TV I have ever owned. Consumer Best Buys gave it a 85% so for a low cost TV I'm not disappointed.
QUOTE Thanks
Ecg■eow

well the samsung looks really good. The only downside is it doesn't seem to have place to mount a VESA bracket.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Since you're asking for opinions - don't buy a Samsung - if you're looking for the company with the absolute worst customer service in the entire electronics industry - you've found it. They are also the number 1 brand name to have problems with Macs. Viewsonic comes in a distant 2nd place here - and only because they come in with sales numbers far behind.

The quality name brands I personally recommend are Toshiba, Panasonic, Hitachi and Sony. There are others, but these are my top 4 in no particular order.

Amongst the "throw away" brands are Westinghouse, Polaroid and Vizio. I would not advise buying these brands without purchasing an extended warranty. But, you can often buy them with the extended warranty for less than others.

The "throw away" brands are those for which you cannot get repair parts for their TVs. When they break, you buy a new TV or as with a BB warranty, you get your original purchase money back so you can buy another (after that is, your TV has sat in the repair shop for 4-5 weeks and they still have no idea when the replacement part might come in - because there aren't any).

edit: watch the local BB ads and others at this time of the year. You'll find some bargains on what are classified as "last years" models. Like cars, July thru Oct are when the new models come out typically and there are quite often some good bargains to be had as they try to get rid of inventory to make room for the new models.

edit2: I'd give serious consideration to that Toshiba idrinor linked to - $444 direct from Amazon, not bad for a 1080p at 32".

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Since you're asking for opinions - don't buy a Samsung - if you're looking for the company with the absolute worst customer service in the entire electronics industry - you've found it. They are also the number 1 brand name to have problems with Macs. Viewsonic comes in a distant 2nd place here.

The quality name brands I personally recommend are Toshiba, Panasonic, Hitachi and Sony. There are others, but these are my top 4 in no particular order.

Amongst the "throw away" brands are Westinghouse and Polaroid. I would not advise buying either of these brands without purchasing an extended warranty.
Sony, I recommend Sony with almost anything. I've used nothing but Sony equipment for my home theater centers...nothing but an amazing experience. Don't use their tvs though. I might one day with their 3d-tv. Panasonic, in my opinion, makes the best large screen tv, but they are closing doors soon(I think they already started), with their large screen tvs.
My recommendation still stands. That's the tv I would buy for myself

PS: in my room, I have the previous version(or maybe the previous version of the previous version) of that 32" with 1080p. I'm pretty sure there is one that slides in between mine and this one within the time I bought mine. I've had it for almost 3 years. The differences are that the new one has more features in the back, is a bit thinner, and also has a model with a dvd player built in, it's super easy to mount with the mounting area on the back, and has a cool usb connection to play mp3 music or view pictures...I wish I had that...

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep it's too bad that Panasonic may be going the way of the Pioneer plasmas.
I've replaced two of my TVs with Pannys this past year.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Mad_Man

Mad_Man is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro. 2.66GHz. 8GB RAM. 256GB SSD. Hi-Res Antiglare Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Yep it's too bad that Panasonic may be going the way of the Pioneer plasmas.
I've replaced two of my TVs with Pannys this past year.
I hope not. The bar has already lowered as you mentioned with Pioneer out of the game. Blows my mind how this happened. I have a 60" Pioneer Elite Pro151FD plasma with 1080p in my media room. I am not looking forward to the day when I need to replace it. No one made a more stunning plasma. From what I gather, Panasonic would now have to be my next choice. I know we're above and beyond the OP's budget here, but I'm not sold on 3D, yet.

One day I will find the right words and they will be simple.- Jack Kerouac.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Our company has had very good luck with the Panasonic Tv installs over the years and
mine will be 7 this year second brand we have had good results was Sharp the rest seem
to be a toss of the coin.
QUOTE Thanks
Ecg■eow

thanks, all great stuff. Here's some more info:

I'll be getting the new version of the much derided apple tv when it comes out (I preordered it on the apple store.) I also have an acer nettop screwed into the vesa mount on my current tv. The tv only has one hdmi port, and although the selection of ports is nice, they're all scrunched up and under, which I suppose is for ease of access when mounting it on a wall, but it isn't so hot with a stand. I had a real hard time getting my fat hdmi cable to plug into that port, and dread having to unplug it.

Because I'm getting the new apple tv, i'm not too concerned with the new digital media features that are popping up like viewing videos/photos/music on a thumb drive.

Also, i have to ask, what's the performance difference between regular lcd and led. The brighter the screen can get, the better I like it.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Man View Post
I hope not. The bar has already lowered as you mentioned with Pioneer out of the game. Blows my mind how this happened. I have a 60" Pioneer Elite Pro151FD plasma with 1080p in my media room. I am not looking forward to the day when I need to replace it. No one made a more stunning plasma. From what I gather, Panasonic would now have to be my next choice. I know we're above and beyond the OP's budget here, but I'm not sold on 3D, yet.
If i'm not mistaken, Pioneer was the BEST plasma tv maker. I've been reading on a couple of HTheater magazines saying that word is out about Panosonic possibly following in the footsteps of Pioneer due to low sale compared to the competition. Sad...

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecg■eow View Post
thanks, all great stuff. Here's some more info:

I'll be getting the new version of the much derided apple tv when it comes out (I preordered it on the apple store.) I also have an acer nettop screwed into the vesa mount on my current tv. The tv only has one hdmi port, and although the selection of ports is nice, they're all scrunched up and under, which I suppose is for ease of access when mounting it on a wall, but it isn't so hot with a stand. I had a real hard time getting my fat hdmi cable to plug into that port, and dread having to unplug it.

Because I'm getting the new apple tv, i'm not too concerned with the new digital media features that are popping up like viewing videos/photos/music on a thumb drive.

Also, i have to ask, what's the performance difference between regular lcd and led. The brighter the screen can get, the better I like it.
Technically, the only difference is in the way the lcd panel is lit up. Similar to the way a Macbook Pro's screen is lit. Instead of one or two light panels causing the brightness, LED has multiple points of brightness areas, which can help distinguish from between white and black colors. Other than that, people, as well as salesmen often lie and say that the LED aspect of a tv helps to get better resolution, which is a big FAT lie! The resolution is EXACTLY the same. Only the contrast between 2 colors increases with LEDs. I don't think it's worth excess money they charge for it, not now at least.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPads on College Campuses? Maybe Next Year | Has anyone here used an exercise ball as a chair? »