New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Imagining An End Game For RIM


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
the8thark

 
Member Since: Jan 27, 2007
Location: *Brisvegas*
Posts: 5,658
the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

the8thark is offline
Imagining An End Game For RIM
Imagining An End Game For RIM - Deal Journal - WSJ
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,818
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is offline
Is it just me or is everyone saying every bad thing they can about RIM lately? This article is no different. Does it even matter what RIM does anymore or have disparaging remarks become the norm for RIM?

Quote:
Chief among those scenarios: Microsoft acquiring RIM. The tech giant is desperately looking for a viable way to compete in the smart-phone market and it has deep enough pockets ($36 billion) to help RIM branch out its mobile offerings to reach a wider range of consumers.
Never going to happen. I find it hard to believe that MS would spend that much of their capital to enter a market that isn't really their focus and I don't think RIM would sell itself off because they've been experiencing some issues.

The article also states that they only had 4.5 million subscribers. Honestly, using the word only was a poor choice. Sure, it may not be what they expected but 4.5 million subscribers is still quite a bit.

I won't ignore the fact that they have been having some trouble (example: luke warm reception of OS 6) but it's hardly the time to start calling for massive change and the end of RIM as we know it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,494
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Agreed, Vansmith. RIM's financials are strong and they have and will continue to hold a strong foothold in the business market. BB isn't the hot property it once was, but for certain niche markets, it's the best solution.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

 
Kash's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 03, 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 9,385
Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Kash is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
The article also states that they only had 4.5 million subscribers. Honestly, using the word only was a poor choice. Sure, it may not be what they expected but 4.5 million subscribers is still quite a bit.
That's 4.5 million new subscribers in a quarter. Not bad at all.


June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Never going to happen. I find it hard to believe that MS would spend that much of their capital to enter a market that isn't really their focus and I don't think RIM would sell itself off because they've been experiencing some issues.
Right there is the flaw in your argument. What IS Microsoft's focus these days? They don't even seem to know and they appear to be simply casting around looking for markets they can try to exploit or bully their way into.

After years of criticizing Apple they have entered the Hardware business (Zune, X-Box, iPad knockoff etc) without seeing much irony. They are looking for any market they can break into or, in the case of RIM, buy their way into and out of their self dug hole.


QUOTE Thanks
ZachUSAman

 
Member Since: Sep 19, 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 191
ZachUSAman is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram

ZachUSAman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Right there is the flaw in your argument. What IS Microsoft's focus these days? They don't even seem to know and they appear to be simply casting around looking for markets they can try to exploit or bully their way into.

After years of criticizing Apple they have entered the Hardware business (Zune, X-Box, iPad knockoff etc) without seeing much irony. They are looking for any market they can break into or, in the case of RIM, buy their way into and out of their self dug hole.
Apple needs a competitor, and consumers need an alternative to the ipod.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

 
Chris H.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2009
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 2,602
Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Chris H. is offline
If you ask me, (and feel free to correct my flaws in this), RIM is becoming a little bit more like Apple was in the 90s.

-Multiple hardware models
-Ever-changing OS

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB3
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

 
osxx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 19, 2008
Location: houston texas
Posts: 4,644
osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

osxx is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachUSAman View Post
Apple needs a competitor, and consumers need an alternative to the ipod.
Competition is always good for the consumer and they have alternatives to
the iPod they just don't sell as well.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,818
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Right there is the flaw in your argument. What IS Microsoft's focus these days? They don't even seem to know and they appear to be simply casting around looking for markets they can try to exploit or bully their way into.
I'm not sure that's a flaw in my argument but I do agree that they do have a lack of focus. My argument was based on a recognition that they seem content to developing the software and not the hardware when it comes to phones. Let's not forget the second part of my argument which was that a slightly weak part of the year (which was in actual fact, still fairly good) is not grounds for RIM to go looking for a buyer.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« why use official apple shop? | Invited to Apple Hiring Seminar »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
can't load game under Windows varney Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 3 04-15-2009 02:46 PM
looking for an old mac game ronnykat OS X - Apps and Games 2 03-24-2009 10:14 PM
A Game For The Ages Graphite Schweb's Lounge 2375 03-11-2009 12:06 AM
end key? jcart OS X - Operating System 0 01-08-2005 11:31 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?