New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Microsoft holds funeral for death of iPhone and BlackBerry

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Microsoft celebrates Windows Phone 7 RTM with funeral parade for BlackBerry and iPhone -- Engadget

Don't put the cart before the horse.
Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Don't bite off more than you can chew.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Dumbest. Thing. Ever.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB3
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

LOL, what some companies will do for publicity.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Idiocy, thy name is Ballmer...

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Uuuch... really ? And you guys KNOW I'm no iPhone flunky, to say the least but that, is just ugly in every way possible. Hey, maybe WP7 will be great, who knows? But to make such a public display and possibly set themselves up for a large disappointment is just plain stupid. But yeah, that totally IS Ballmer, ain't it ?

What ****** me off even more though, perhaps... is all the totally inane comments left by some of the delusional Windows crowd. Such as:
Quote:
@arasheps

SOO agree. If you wan't to go on facts, WP7 is perfect, in my opinion (cept for those few features they left out but will add later). Then, if you want to go on experience...then your gonna have to wait for Oct. no doubt.
Um, FACTS ? Whom ever this "Water911" character is (user who left the remark) really makes me want to punch him square in the nose. I know that's violent, and I'm sorry but... he has ZERO facts ! The phone is nowhere near release time and he already has FACTS about how perfect the phone is ? How does that work exactly ? But wait... I nearly missed saying how he readily contradicted himself in the same sentence by saying: "facts, in my opinion" OMG I HATE WATER911!

/teenage rant.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I've haven't even heard of this until now. >_>" I did a quick google on it and I actually kind of like their simple icon, grid, typographic, vertical tile thing they got going on. It looks very simple and clean, and seems pretty easy to navigate and extract information quickly.

From what I've seen it seems pretty cool. Even if it's Windows I'm going to give them a chance. As for the publicity stunt...well that's just what it is, a publicity stunt and nothing more. If they want to brag and shoot themselves in the foot then let them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
... I nearly missed saying how he readily contradicted himself in the same sentence by saying: "facts, in my opinion" OMG I HATE WATER911!

/teenage rant.

Doug
I know you are exaggerating, but you need to love that someone to actually hate them. Just my lease on life. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
torrey0012

torrey0012 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 500GB 7200RPM H/D, nVidia 9400M + 9600M 512 MB, 4 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM

Hahahah this is so great. But at the same time, terrible..
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Just goes to show that Apple is definitely doing something right to be picked on so much.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I've haven't even heard of this until now. >_>" I did a quick google on it and I actually kind of like their simple icon, grid, typographic, vertical tile thing they got going on. It looks very simple and clean, and seems pretty easy to navigate and extract information quickly.

From what I've seen it seems pretty cool. Even if it's Windows I'm going to give them a chance.

I might give them a chance as well. Based on the Wikipedia article, it sounds a bit interesting. We'll see if Microsoft can really deliver this time.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB3
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I hope it does exceptionally well. More motivation for iOS and Android to step up the game.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

One wonders if the Reverend Steve delivered the Last Rites?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Is this seriously for real? I have such a hard time believing it because of how idiotic it seems! Microsoft has stooped to an even newer low. Anyway, since when was anything related to funerals a joke? I think that alone is as shocking, and just shows how dumb of a CEO, Steve "The Idiot" Ballmer, really is for letting it happen! I would be embarrased if I had anything to do with that or msft!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I think the main issue here is not the WP7 or the iphone or the Blackberry. It's ideology. Apple don't ever expect their products to do amazingly well. They just say as long as we get a few sales and kinda break even maybe we'll do fine. Sure they lowball their estimates all the time but it's good I think. Then any success their products do have is just an awesome bonus.

MS on the other hand expect all their products to be amazing competition crushing devices. It's like anything less then putting the competitors products out of business and off the shelves is a failure to them. Which is silly. Cause you're setting yourself up for failure. MS is just being very cocky with this new publicity stunt. Sure if you're the best in the game then you can brag a little cause you can say "well hey I am the best".

But now it's MS (who is one of the worse so far in the phone game) saying hey so what I came last in every phone race I entered. This time I will win. If MS was a horse and it had a last place from ever one of it's starts, you'd never bet on it apart from $2 as a joke bet. Mind you you'd expect to lose the $2. Sure the WP7 might actually be a decent effort. But after things like the Kin etc it's going to be a very hard sell to the public to prove to them that this could be their first decent phone ever.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Apple don't ever expect their products to do amazingly well. They just say as long as we get a few sales and kinda break even maybe we'll do fine. Sure they lowball their estimates all the time but it's good I think. Then any success their products do have is just an awesome bonus.
I disagree with that. Apple, if it were a student, would be that kid in class who had a bigger ego than every other student. Apple has proven that it will consistently label it's products "the best <insert product here> in the world." They continually remind everyone of the success of their products and repeatedly have huge expectations about how it will revolutionize the market. And they by no means take the "break even equals fine" approach to business - no for-profit company does.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I disagree with that. Apple, if it were a student, would be that kid in class who had a bigger ego than every other student. Apple has proven that it will consistently label it's products "the best <insert product here> in the world." They continually remind everyone of the success of their products and repeatedly have huge expectations about how it will revolutionize the market. And they by no means take the "break even equals fine" approach to business - no for-profit company does.
You are correct in what you said. But you missed the point I was trying to make. I'll explain myself a little better.

When the iphone was released Apple said they wanted 1% of phone sales. That was their aim. Sure all companies want to make a profit and all companies want you to believe their product is the best. Apple is no different. But Apple did not go out and say "the iphone will kill every other competitor in the smartphone market". They just said they hoped for a 1% share of the market.

And hoping to revolutionise the market with their products though a little egotistical as you said is a very good thing. At least then they won't pump out any old garbage just for profit. They want to at least try to make the products better too. And that's a win-win. better products for us and more profits for Apple.

MS just pump out the old garbage and expect us to buy it. So MS win by more profits (if they get the sales) but we consumers lose by having products with very little innovation at all.

Having a little ego is not bad actually. It's how you use the ego that matters. Apple are doing something good with it. And yes in keynote speeches (but rarely outside of them) Apple to say their products are the best. But for the most part they actually are the best out there. So sure that's ego but it's not a lie either.

I'm sure MS would continually remind people too of the success of their past products. But saying "well people that product sold 200 thousand less then we hoped or that product had a less than satisfactory customer rating" does not look good. You only brag about the good things for the company in the past. And when you have very few recent good things to brag about like MS does, well then you don't brag. But don't confuse this for not wanting to brag. They would too if they had something to brag about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Steve "The Idiot" Ballmer
Well if he was an idiot then he'd be better then he currently is now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows Phone 7 will be GSM-only in 2010 | Digital Picture Frames! »