New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Has anyone here used an exercise ball as a chair?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oxband

oxband is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking of switching from my office chair to an exercise ball when working on my computer, something like this:
Natural Fitness Professional Burst-Resistant Exercise Ball - Red Rock (65cm) : Target

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm trying to figure out of I want to make this change, and if so, what ball to get.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

LMAO!! Sorry, I had to laugh about this. I don't know why you would want to use an exercise ball instead of an office chair.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Umm that's going to be uncomfortable for sure. Especially after extended usage.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved. What has this to do with "Other Hardware...." ? Please read forum descriptions before posting.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek View Post
LMAO!! Sorry, I had to laugh about this. I don't know why you would want to use an exercise ball instead of an office chair.
Yes I know on the surface it seems sort of funny...but the idea is for people that sit & work at a desk all day...it's supposed to help strengthen muscles that get weak from doing all of the sitting (legs, back, etc.)....as well as helping with stability & balance.

I'm not saying it's for everyone...just explaining the concept.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Yup a couple of people at our office use the exercise balls as their chairs..ends up forcing you to keep a proper posture..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
oxband

oxband is on a distinguished road

So, has anyone on this list used it? I tend to slouch when working on the computer and I figure it might be useful
QUOTE Thanks
Doctor_Tattoo

Doctor_Tattoo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" Macbook Pro 2.26, 4GB Ram, 160GB HD, WD 2TB, 24" ACD. iPad 64GB 3G. iPhone 4 32GB Unlocked.

I tried the large exercise ball as a chair in my office for a while, there is actually a stand for them that sort of cradles the ball so when you get up it doesn't roll away. However, after a while you'll notice the ball doesn't stay firm and needs to be reinflated often. The other downfall is it is a rubber ball and can pop if you are not careful. I ended up popping mine as I forgot something in my back pocket when I sat down.

The very same day I popped mine, I went out to find a viable replacement. Big money later I came back with a Swopper Swopper - Active sitting for a healthy back They are expensive as heck but it's easily the most comfortable chair I've ever owned.

Shawn
QUOTE Thanks
Mickyfin

Mickyfin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 2.8

After recently experiencing lower back pain myself, i too were looking into this ball option, but in the end favored the kneeling chair, with lower leg support.

QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

I would use a normal chair, but workout and go to the gym. Solved many of my problems.
QUOTE Thanks
TheOneBillyX

TheOneBillyX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes I know on the surface it seems sort of funny...but the idea is for people that sit & work at a desk all day...it's supposed to help strengthen muscles that get weak from doing all of the sitting (legs, back, etc.)....as well as helping with stability & balance.

- Nick
It sounds more like a get healthy quick scheme. You'll probably use it for a couple of days, then get tired of it, and then switch back to a regular chair while your exercise ball goes on craigslist.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

Jonik is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM

Or this happens....

YouTube - Leo Laporte pops his exercise ball live on camera - TWiT Live
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Dwight did. Jim popped it though.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonik View Post
I didn't realized that happened to Leo. He still uses the ball chair so I guess he sees some kind of benefit in having a chair like that.

Sitting all day in front of the computer or for general office work does require a good chair. I've used several different chairs myself and still have yet to find a perfect one. I'm interested to hear all the suggestions that worked for others.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

- Nick
I can vouche for this, as I work in a call center, sitting at a computer for 8+ hours a day.. The chairs we have offer nothing in terms of comfort or ergonomics..

This seems like a good idea to me!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« advice on buying a tv | This is why I don't run Winders, with contest »