New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Looking for first hand experience/advice with laptop insurance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

conchshell123

conchshell123 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone I've been browsing the interwebs like crazy to find any sort of reliable non bias information on laptop insurance and I've come up with nothing!

My dilemma: I've just purchased a new Macbook Pro and it was way too much to not have accidental damage/theft coverage. I have renters insurance on my apartment but I doubt it would cover my computer if something silly were to happen, like water gets spilled on it. I especially need the insurance to cover my macbook when it leaves my house, in case it were to be stolen at school or something.

Any first hand experience and information would be greatly appreciated. Please include as much info as possible, rates and deductible cost, whats covered, customer service, length of time for claim processes, overall satisfaction? Anything else that comes to mind!

It would also be a plus if the policy could cover other electronics and goods such as music equipment or bicycles....

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try Safeware Insurance. Most home owner's and renter's policies have certain restrictions and deductibles. I get around that by using a special scheduled policy which lists items specifically. That type of policy has no deductible and covers accidental loss or damage.
QUOTE Thanks
conchshell123

Thanks, how much is the premium for how much coverage? Have you had to make any claims, how did that go?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I pay less than $75 a year for full coverage on all scheduled items. Premium depends on how many items you schedule and their value. I made one claim and that was some time back - for which they paid without any hassle whatsoever. (It was a loss claim.)
QUOTE Thanks
conchshell123

Okay thanks so much! I just got a quote from their website and it was very reasonable.

By any chance has anyone heard of insurance from NSSI?
Affordable Laptop Insurance, College Student Insurance, Personal Property, & Laptop Theft | National Student Sevices

The only reason I would consider this over Safeware is because they offer coverage for other items like instruments and bicycles....but I can't find any credible reviews or information on them.....
QUOTE Thanks
conchshell123

bumpity bump
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Looks like NSSI has been around for awhile. While I have no personal experience with them, it should be easy enough to check on them through your state's insurance board or the Better Business Bureau. They also provide health insurance among other types of insurance. And they offer tracking for stolen iPods, computers, etc.

Call them up and speak with them. Their 800 number is listed on the web site.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hurricane Season... | Hello all! New here! »