New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

OMG, when did ebay start taking part of my final selling price?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheOneBillyX

TheOneBillyX will become famous soon enough

Ok, so I haven't sold anything on ebay for about two years. When I was rummaging through my house, my found all my old cool things that I decided to sell on ebay. I sold it on ebay, made a couple of 100s and I was happy.

Today, I received a invoice for ebay. Even though the invoice isn't a large amount, it's an annoying amount...close to 10%. Selling is a lot more than I remember couple of years ago.

When did they change things? I liked the old way better where I had to pay a listing fee, that's it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Over a year ago now. No listing fees, but 10% of the final sale price is right.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
TheOneBillyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Over a year ago now. No listing fees, but 10% of the final sale price is right.
Geez, I thought ebay was making a decent profit.

lame!!!
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I prefer them taking a commission on the final sale price because with listing fees I get charged even if my item doesn't sell. This means that I'm less willing to take chances in trying to sell something I don't think will sell. Their listing fees are also higher the higher you price list your item but there is no guarantee it will sell so I would lose that money.

For example there have been several items that I have sold which I didn't think would sell. There have also been items that I had to relist a few times in order for them to sell so getting charged a high listing fee is a rip off to me because they are making money off of me without my item even selling.

It's been awhile since I've sold anything on eBay but they were charging a percentage of final sell price when I last sold something. I always found the best time to sell was when eBay gave me the free listing offers.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I have to agree with the above. Cause with the final sale fee ebay has to try to get people sales for them to get their fee. And 10% is not too bad I guess. it's the same as the GST in Australia.

But you know people will just jack up their prices 10% to cover the final sale fee. So in essence the buyer will be indirectly paying this 10% fee. And directly paying for the postage. So the buyer will feel this 10% a lot I think. It's a fair fee I think. But buyer beware I think.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneBillyX View Post
Ok, so I haven't sold anything on ebay for about two years. When I was rummaging through my house, my found all my old cool things that I decided to sell on ebay. I sold it on ebay, made a couple of 100s and I was happy.

Today, I received a invoice for ebay. Even though the invoice isn't a large amount, it's an annoying amount...close to 10%. Selling is a lot more than I remember couple of years ago.

When did they change things? I liked the old way better where I had to pay a listing fee, that's it.
Here's an article that explains e-Bay's latest fees/fee changes.

eBay Announces Fee Changes, Will Eliminate Store Format

Looks like the new "fee structure" started around March 30th, 2010. Those final value fees of 9% (max final value fee of $50)...seems pretty steep!!!

Thus for an item sells for $250...you pay a final value fee of $22.50! That's on top of other fees such as the listing fees, reserve auction fees, Buy It Now fees, etc. Then add in the Paypal fees. Jeez...with all of these fees...it makes Craig's List look better & better!!!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Actually Nick no listing fees for items starting at $1.00 and the rate seems pretty competitive. Here Down Under most major auction sites charge a flat 12% commission.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Craigslist is all I use now. It'd rather man up face to face for a cash deal anyhow. Less drama and cheaper.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Actually Nick no listing fees for items starting at $1.00 and the rate seems pretty competitive.
I agree Harry...no listing fees for items starting under $1.00. The fee that has peopled "bugged" a bit is the "final value fee". So if an item starts at say $.50 cents...but sells for $100...if I understand it correctly, you still have to pay a 9% final value fee of $9.00.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
TheOneBillyX

I should have sold my stuff on Craigslist.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well you always have that option. Called 'free trade'!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneBillyX View Post
I should have sold my stuff on Craigslist.
Not necessarily. Depending on what you were selling...the items might have been easy or hard items to sell quickly. The down-side to Craig's List is you're advertising to a much smaller audience. With e-Bay you're advertising to the whole country...or world if you're willing to ship internationally.

So if you list items on CL...they may not sell. But listed on e-Bay the items may sell much more quickly. So fewer $$$ in your pocket from an e-Bay auction (due to the newer fees)...is still a lot better than no $$$ at all if an item doesn't sell on CL.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
TheOneBillyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Not necessarily. Depending on what you were selling...the items might have been easy or hard items to sell quickly. The down-side to Craig's List is you're advertising to a much smaller audience. With e-Bay you're advertising to the whole country...or world if you're willing to ship internationally.

So if you list items on CL...they may not sell. But listed on e-Bay the items may sell much more quickly. So fewer $$$ in your pocket from an e-Bay auction (due to the newer fees)...is still a lot better than no $$$ at all if an item doesn't sell on CL.

- Nick
That's true. I'm just a little irrate at the final listing fee (it's new to me!!!!) I guess putting my old but very awesome junk would never have sold on craigslist.

I think I'm even more irritated because I put my old cameras for sale and now, I think I might have gotten the same trade in value if I went to a camera shop; I might get even less because of those fees.

Good thing I didn't put my Apple Gift Cards on ebay.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Craigslist is all I use now. It'd rather man up face to face for a cash deal anyhow. Less drama and cheaper.
Me too, Have not sold anything on Ebay since 2008, These days everyone is using Craigslist anyway. Feebay & Paypal are fine to use until you have a problem, Generally that's where things go south.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

We don't have Craiglist here, so apart form 2 free papers and Gumtree - which is similar to Craiglist I guess - Ebay is still the best way.
I agree about the final fee being better too, it does avoid you paying if you don't sell the item (all bar any extras that you use to help sell, like borders).
March 2010! Definitely much longer ago than that here in the UK, checking back on my account it started April 2009 here. I guess they rolled it out gradually.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Better for Travel? | Paypal fund holds »