New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Just got back from "Up North"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CarpathiaMan

CarpathiaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB HD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.9.x

Hello fellow Apple enthusiasts.

Been away for a few days. I reside in Metro Detroit, Michigan, but I spent this past weekend in the Traverse City/Charlevoix area, which is in the upper part of the lower peninsula off of Lake Michigan. Anyone here ever visit that part of the state? It's quite a beautiful region, and I really love it there. Finally got me a Petoskey stone, indulged in some Mackinac fudge, visited family (my cousin's house is right off the lake -- lucky son-of-a-gun), ate good food at quaint restaurants, enjoyed the little towns, and had a wonderful time.

I've been there before, but the last time was over ten years ago.

Of course, I'm sure you all know how vacations are. It's nice to go, but it's also nice to be back.

Hope you're all doing okay.

Peace.
QUOTE Thanks
JGelks2007

JGelks2007 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a very pleasant trip, I've only been to michigan once, but I think it was closer to the lake superior side.
QUOTE Thanks
bradders

bradders is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 4GB, 1TB HDD, quad-core

Sounds beautiful...

Bit far away for me though, hehe
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you think that's nice, go a little farther north and into Canada, land of polite pundits and boring talk radio!
QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

Mac Specs: Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB HD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.9.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGelks2007 View Post
Sounds like a very pleasant trip, I've only been to michigan once, but I think it was closer to the lake superior side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders View Post
Sounds beautiful...Bit far away for me though, hehe
Thanks. But are you sure you can't make it? Australia is just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Michigan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
If you think that's nice, go a little farther north and into Canada, land of polite pundits and boring talk radio!
Ah Canada, our wonderful neighbors and allies. I've been to Toronto a couple of times -- really enjoy that city. I came back and suggested we switch to Metrics -- people looked at me like I was crazy!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

LOL.

Here's how you persuade them: tell them that six inches = over 15 cm.

That should do the trick ...
QUOTE Thanks
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06 c2d, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathiaMan View Post
Anyone here ever visit that part of the state?

Peace.
Yup, been up there many times and I think it's one of the most beautiful areas of the state. Will be in Charlevoix the middle of October.

Larry
QUOTE Thanks
hamlin

hamlin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - Duel Core 2.4 ghz, geforce 320m 2 gigs ram, 250 gb

It's actually kind of weird here in Canada. We use both. We use KM/h instead of miles, Pounds instead of kilograms and Milaletres instead of fl oz, Both celcious and ferinhight.

I live really close to the Minnesota border and ppl in Minnesota are so canadian. They just wont admit it!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The switch to metric should have taken place years ago here in the US. I guess we're either too stubborn to switch or it's too hard.

I spent years working for the US Govt abroad in countries where the metric system is standard. I actually think it's much easier to learn and understand than the English system which we insist on using. The only thing I had hard time getting used to was when I was in a country that drove on the left.
QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
Yup, been up there many times and I think it's one of the most beautiful areas of the state. Will be in Charlevoix the middle of October.
Cool. Yeah, there's a possible Beaver Island family meeting that might take place with us next year. I'm eager to take advantage of that.

On one of the nights we were there, part of downtown Traverse City was blocked off to make room for a bike sprint. Even Olympic-level athletes made appearances. Pretty crowded, so with all of that going on, there was definitely not a lack of things to do up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The switch to metric should have taken place years ago here in the US. I guess we're either too stubborn to switch or it's too hard.

I spent years working for the US Govt abroad in countries where the metric system is standard. I actually think it's much easier to learn and understand than the English system which we insist on using. The only thing I had hard time getting used to was when I was in a country that drove on the left.
An old habit of 300,000,000 people dies hard...

But seriously, sometimes I wonder what the big deal is. Sure, social movements of large populations can often be slow, but look how quickly a country like the U.S. has embraced the Internet. Then again, that was brand new, not a replacement for something. (Windows = English, Mac OS = Metric?)
QUOTE Thanks
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06 c2d, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathiaMan View Post
But seriously, sometimes I wonder what the big deal is. Sure, social movements of large populations can often be slow, but look how quickly a country like the U.S. has embraced the Internet. Then again, that was brand new, not a replacement for something. (Windows = English, Mac OS = Metric?)
They need to include it as a mandatory course starting in 1st grade through high school. Many, if not most grade schools teach a second language because youngsters learn it so easily. The same could apply in the math world of education. Government could set a date, say 2025, for the country to make the final conversion. But it'll never happen in my lifetime.

Larry
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 27" 5k imac i7, 295x

Canada is a mix of English and Metric like said earlier.

We also use HP instead OF KW for cars. Most people i know use feet instead of meters, Very Strange.

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Used to snowmobile every winter in the Lake Gogebic / Ironwood / Hurley Wi. areas. Beautiful places, and they get a ton of snow! I have pictures somewhere of us sitting on Lake Superior in the dead of winter. Good Times!
QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
Used to snowmobile every winter in the Lake Gogebic / Ironwood / Hurley Wi. areas. Beautiful places, and they get a ton of snow! I have pictures somewhere of us sitting on Lake Superior in the dead of winter. Good Times!
Visiting the U.P. in the wintertime sounds like an interesting prospect ... I would love to see the scenery up there that time of year!
QUOTE Thanks
FuelFoes.com

FuelFoes.com is on a distinguished road

you should visit Vancouver, BC soon, its amazing place
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AT&T DSL Customer Service Terrible | AT&T Internet advice? »