Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
    Just got back from "Up North"
    Hello fellow Apple enthusiasts.

Been away for a few days. I reside in Metro Detroit, Michigan, but I spent this past weekend in the Traverse City/Charlevoix area, which is in the upper part of the lower peninsula off of Lake Michigan. Anyone here ever visit that part of the state? It's quite a beautiful region, and I really love it there. Finally got me a Petoskey stone, indulged in some Mackinac fudge, visited family (my cousin's house is right off the lake -- lucky son-of-a-gun), ate good food at quaint restaurants, enjoyed the little towns, and had a wonderful time.

I've been there before, but the last time was over ten years ago.

Of course, I'm sure you all know how vacations are. It's nice to go, but it's also nice to be back.

Hope you're all doing okay.

Peace.

Sounds like a very pleasant trip, I've only been to michigan once, but I think it was closer to the lake superior side.

Specs:
    27" iMac, 4GB, 1TB HDD, quad-core
    Sounds beautiful...

Bit far away for me though, hehe

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    If you think that's nice, go a little farther north and into Canada, land of polite pundits and boring talk radio!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by JGelks2007 View Post
    Sounds like a very pleasant trip, I've only been to michigan once, but I think it was closer to the lake superior side.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradders View Post
    Sounds beautiful...Bit far away for me though, hehe
    Thanks. But are you sure you can't make it? Australia is just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Michigan!

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    If you think that's nice, go a little farther north and into Canada, land of polite pundits and boring talk radio!
    Ah Canada, our wonderful neighbors and allies. I've been to Toronto a couple of times -- really enjoy that city. I came back and suggested we switch to Metrics -- people looked at me like I was crazy!

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    LOL.

Here's how you persuade them: tell them that six inches = over 15 cm.

That should do the trick ...

Specs:
    21.5" iMac, 3.06 c2d, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpathiaMan View Post
    Anyone here ever visit that part of the state?

Peace.
    Yup, been up there many times and I think it's one of the most beautiful areas of the state. Will be in Charlevoix the middle of October.
    Larry

Specs:
    Macbook - Duel Core 2.4 ghz, geforce 320m 2 gigs ram, 250 gb
    It's actually kind of weird here in Canada. We use both. We use KM/h instead of miles, Pounds instead of kilograms and Milaletres instead of fl oz, Both celcious and ferinhight.

I live really close to the Minnesota border and ppl in Minnesota are so canadian. They just wont admit it!

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    The switch to metric should have taken place years ago here in the US. I guess we're either too stubborn to switch or it's too hard.

I spent years working for the US Govt abroad in countries where the metric system is standard. I actually think it's much easier to learn and understand than the English system which we insist on using. The only thing I had hard time getting used to was when I was in a country that drove on the left.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Yup, been up there many times and I think it's one of the most beautiful areas of the state. Will be in Charlevoix the middle of October.
    Cool. Yeah, there's a possible Beaver Island family meeting that might take place with us next year. I'm eager to take advantage of that.

On one of the nights we were there, part of downtown Traverse City was blocked off to make room for a bike sprint. Even Olympic-level athletes made appearances. Pretty crowded, so with all of that going on, there was definitely not a lack of things to do up there.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    The switch to metric should have taken place years ago here in the US. I guess we're either too stubborn to switch or it's too hard.

I spent years working for the US Govt abroad in countries where the metric system is standard. I actually think it's much easier to learn and understand than the English system which we insist on using. The only thing I had hard time getting used to was when I was in a country that drove on the left.
    An old habit of 300,000,000 people dies hard...

But seriously, sometimes I wonder what the big deal is. Sure, social movements of large populations can often be slow, but look how quickly a country like the U.S. has embraced the Internet. Then again, that was brand new, not a replacement for something. (Windows = English, Mac OS = Metric?)

Specs:
    21.5" iMac, 3.06 c2d, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpathiaMan View Post
    But seriously, sometimes I wonder what the big deal is. Sure, social movements of large populations can often be slow, but look how quickly a country like the U.S. has embraced the Internet. Then again, that was brand new, not a replacement for something. (Windows = English, Mac OS = Metric?)
    They need to include it as a mandatory course starting in 1st grade through high school. Many, if not most grade schools teach a second language because youngsters learn it so easily. The same could apply in the math world of education. Government could set a date, say 2025, for the country to make the final conversion. But it'll never happen in my lifetime.
    Larry

Specs:
    27" 5k imac i7, 295x
    Canada is a mix of English and Metric like said earlier.

We also use HP instead OF KW for cars. Most people i know use feet instead of meters, Very Strange.
    "I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"

Specs:
    -->
    Used to snowmobile every winter in the Lake Gogebic / Ironwood / Hurley Wi. areas. Beautiful places, and they get a ton of snow! I have pictures somewhere of us sitting on Lake Superior in the dead of winter. Good Times!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    Used to snowmobile every winter in the Lake Gogebic / Ironwood / Hurley Wi. areas. Beautiful places, and they get a ton of snow! I have pictures somewhere of us sitting on Lake Superior in the dead of winter. Good Times!
    Visiting the U.P. in the wintertime sounds like an interesting prospect ... I would love to see the scenery up there that time of year!

you should visit Vancouver, BC soon, its amazing place

Thread Information