New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

billing to wage ratio

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

How does one find out whether there are "standard rates" for the difference between what an employee is paid and what the employer charges the client? I have searched terms such as "billing rate" "charge rate" and others, and I'm coming up empty. (Unless I want to pay hundreds of dollars to hire a consultant for advice!)

In other words, if your time is billed out, does your boss charge the client 2 times what you're paid, three times, etc. ? I know it will vary, but there should be some sort of guideline for good competitive business practices. I'm particularly interested in the architecture and engineering fields.

I have a ratio in mind from my business courses in college, and my prior work experiences. I just want to know what a reasonable, fair ratio is these days. Anyone have a good source?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

As far as I can tell, there's no real guideline -- it all depends on what the local market will bear.

When I worked as a temp, my hourly rate was "marked up" 33 to 50 percent by the agency -- so as an example I would get paid $10/hour by the agency but the client was billed $15/hour.

Different professions definitely vary in this. When I did tech support (actually I still do tech support but I mean on an on-call basis), it was 100% markup.

What you really need is a source for finding out the average wages for people in your profession in your city. Wolfram Alpha would probably a good place to try your query, they seem to excel at stuff like that.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

One hundred per cent is pretty normal if you are employing technicians/tradesmen. This allows for those slow occasions when their time cannot be billed to a client
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Like chas said, it really depends on the profession. When I was interviewing with this law firm, he told me that they pay law clerks $15 to $20 an hour while billing them out at around $100. That's a 500% markup!

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I know in the Profession i am in. i would get paid $29.80 a hour and the agency would be charging my prospective employer $57.45 ....

So thats nearly100%markup. As above had said, i think it will depend on season, type of profession and location .....

Location is a HUGE factor here in Australia. In NSW i was working for $29.80 hr and waaay down in Tas doing exact same job i was earning close to $11 less ....

My 0.02

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Thanks to all. I know it depends on the profession, which is why I specified that in my post. And I know it's not a mandate. It's what the market will bear, which is why it is dependent on what market you're in.

In business school, they probably gave us an "average" which was 2.5 times the pay rate. That's the rate one former employer of mine used. The economy is such a drag on wages, that some employers are gouging clients and under-paying employees. There's an article(column) about that in Newsweek's current issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Exciting news I wanted to share with you all! | Apple - From iPhone to.... »