New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Exciting news I wanted to share with you all!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CodeSamurai

CodeSamurai has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD

It's been one of my life goals to attend a teaching from HH the Dalai Lama and because of my wonderful wife, on October 21st, I will finally be able to! He will be speaking about "Ethics in a Modern World" and I couldn't be more excited to go. I am a christian attending seminary, BUT, I am also a surveyor of world religions. My major was religious studies in my undergrad and at seminary, I continue to study Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism and Shinto so as you can imagine, to be present at one of the world's great spiritual leader's teachings is a dream come true.

Have any of you heard him speak before? How was it? Should I bother bringing my camera? I thought about it but then thought that it may be impolite to the Dalai Lama and the others attending, so I thought I would ask for some advice. Also, what are some of your guy's ultimate life goals?

Trent out

CodeSamurai | Facebook
Twitter >> Flickr
15.4" 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro w/ High-res antiglare screen and Nvidia 650m GT w/ 1GB VRAM
QUOTE Thanks
willmeahl4

willmeahl4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.

Way to go. Always nice to fulfill a dream. I'd say leave the camera at home to avoid seeming starstruck.
QUOTE Thanks
CodeSamurai

CodeSamurai has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD

I'm thinking the same about the camera...I would really like to capture the experience of the people watching and not necessarily of the Dalai Lama, but I agree, better to not appear star struck.

CodeSamurai | Facebook
Twitter >> Flickr
15.4" 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro w/ High-res antiglare screen and Nvidia 650m GT w/ 1GB VRAM
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Take the camera, set it so that it doesn't need flash (or tending to), put it on a table or something and set it where he's going to be ahead of time, and have it automatically take pictures ever (X) seconds or minutes. You're likely to get a decent shot or two out of that bunch without being intrusive.

(I'm assuming you know about ISO speeds for various lighting conditions to help you get a clear shot and so forth)

PS. I forgot to say "AWESOME!" I mean that. I'm not especially spiritual myself, but the Dalai Llama is a great person who has dedicated his life to helping others and that's about the best you can be in this world.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

WOW and AWESOME mate .....

I have had the chance to be in the presence of this great man and it was such a humbling experience. He oozes ... Ummm Essence,greatness kindness and Ohh heck he just oozes hehe if you get my drift.

DO take the camera as you will be kicking yourself once the experience is over and you wont get another chance in this lifetime.

Im in reigioius terms Agnostic ..... but in the words of the great man himself "If you have a particular faith or religion, that is good. But you can survive without it." I have kept these words with me for a while and feel so much better in my life now i know this quote came from such a Holely Man

Take the camera CS It will be well worth it
Envious and a tad Jealous ATM

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
applebigtree

applebigtree is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro

You'd better not take the camera, as i know, it will be considered as a profane of Buddhism, really impolite.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Well, one should always ask the organisers ahead of time, BUT there do seem to be more than a few pictures of the Dalai Llama out there (and he routinely gives interviews) so I'm guessing it's not "profane" (there really isn't a concept like "profane" in Buddhism anyway).
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebigtree View Post
You'd better not take the camera, as i know, it will be considered as a profane of Buddhism, really impolite.
Umm point me to where this is stated please ...... The function i got to attend, there were cameras everywhere. Just his minders do keep a close eye on him and dont let people get too close. As the Dalai Lama approaches people you dont approach him.

Camera's seemed to be fine

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« For the Games out there .... Easy PS3 hack hits open market ....... | billing to wage ratio »