New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

I like Asus, but I think they miss the point...


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
DarkestRitual

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,073
DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

DarkestRitual is offline
DailyTech - ASUS Announces $1,000 Eee Pad, $399 Android Tablet

$399 Android Tablet (that's a good price point and good implementation of touch) and the $1000 Eee Pad. C2D and Windows 7... I see this not performing very well and overheating... a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

 
Member Since: Oct 05, 2009
Posts: 236
Sonicjet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13' Macbook Pro i5

Sonicjet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
DailyTech - ASUS Announces $1,000 Eee Pad, $399 Android Tablet

$399 Android Tablet (that's a good price point and good implementation of touch) and the $1000 Eee Pad. C2D and Windows 7... I see this not performing very well and overheating... a lot.
This article is a joke that is not factual at all. The android tablet is true,priced at 300,the WinCE tablet does not exist,thats an error,the machine that is now the android system was at first CE,lastly the Win 7 machine is 499,tying the iPad,not a crazy number of 1000,asus said it themselves.
Keep in mind that right now asus makes $400 windows 7 tablet convertibles and 1000 gets you a macbook pro hardware matcher with better battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,073
DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

DarkestRitual is offline
No, the Win 7 Compact is $499. They have a 12.1 Eee Pad that will run win 7 home premium.

Linky-poo
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

 
iggibar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 20, 2009
Location: C-Town
Posts: 4,065
iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

iggibar is offline
There's also this...the "ePad," running Android, all for just 100 bucks! I ordered one last night, which means it's gonna take about a month to get here...

I still don't get the point in using a full OS, which is based on mouse movement, on a touch device, which, simply put, requires a "middle-man" to make your finger interact with the mouse's placement. Have you seen them demoing out some of these tablets that run W7? They always mention something like, "this is really how simple it is!" Then they take you to a step 1 through step 6, just to get the keyboard app open, so you can type a couple of words, on what looks to be a microscopic keyboard because they have to have keyboard on their tiny screen screen. FAIL!!! I think all these companies designing tablets that run full OS's are similar to people driving through dense fog, at night, pitch black, with all lights out...everywhere! They don't see what can lie ahead, just what they want to do to try and one up the current competition without giving it much thought as to how such a thing could be achievable. It also doesn't help to have a moron like Ballmer on their team.
They will always miss the point...

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

 
Village Idiot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 04, 2007
Location: Durtburg, WV
Posts: 2,641
Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Village Idiot is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
There's also this...the "ePad," running Android, all for just 100 bucks! I ordered one last night, which means it's gonna take about a month to get here...

I still don't get the point in using a full OS, which is based on mouse movement, on a touch device, which, simply put, requires a "middle-man" to make your finger interact with the mouse's placement. Have you seen them demoing out some of these tablets that run W7? They always mention something like, "this is really how simple it is!" Then they take you to a step 1 through step 6, just to get the keyboard app open, so you can type a couple of words, on what looks to be a microscopic keyboard because they have to have keyboard on their tiny screen screen. FAIL!!! I think all these companies designing tablets that run full OS's are similar to people driving through dense fog, at night, pitch black, with all lights out...everywhere! They don't see what can lie ahead, just what they want to do to try and one up the current competition without giving it much thought as to how such a thing could be achievable. It also doesn't help to have a moron like Ballmer on their team.
They will always miss the point...
A full OS means a power user could get way more out of their tablet than say your typical iPad user.

It's not that there's anything wrong with a tablet running a full OS, it's that there's not adjustments to a full OS to run more like iOS but still giving you the means to do what you need to do while having the ease to do it without your typical mouse and one screen keyboard setup.

You and your iPad can download apps from an app store and play with those all day, but if I had a tablet capable of running OS X with implementations to increase usability, I could do so much more than download apps from the app store.

Let's see, multitasking is of course already supported, I could have a real working file system, connection to my servers, the ability to install whatever I wanted on it and not just apps selected by Apple, and other advantages.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

 
iggibar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 20, 2009
Location: C-Town
Posts: 4,065
iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

iggibar is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
A full OS means a power user could get way more out of their tablet than say your typical iPad user.
Reallyyy? I didn't know that....(note sarcasm)

Theoretically, it makes sense, but just try it first to do everything you can do on a laptop that you plan on doing based on a full OS touch device.
But, I guess you've never really used a tablet running a full OS. You think it's cool that you can do everything you can on a laptop, but in a small touch device, but just 10 minutes into playing with one, you realize how good your old trusty mouse is. Until they figure out a way to make their own OS that is actually built around the way a person communicates with it, my opinion will always remain the same!

I also don't think you understood what I was trying to say. Everyone and their grandmother knows that a FULL OS will undoubtedly have more options, but what my point was is that you cant just port a FULL OS, designed to run on a pc that is connected to a monitor, and requires input via a keyboard and mouse, and be done with it. You can have your say against the ipad, but that doesn't mean anything else is automatically better.

Full OS tablets and computers have been around for years...there's a reason why they have never taken off.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

 
Village Idiot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 04, 2007
Location: Durtburg, WV
Posts: 2,641
Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Village Idiot is offline
I guess you kind of missed the point where I was mentioning to make a full OS run more like iOS with the input and controls but without losing the functionality...

Being able to use multi touch with a full OS and have a soft keyboard pop up with just a touch would get you the ability to do pretty much everything you could with a keyboard and mouse.

If they implemented that into OS X and it would run with the performance of the iPad, it would be a much better system. Apple could even market it as the iPad pro.

At that point, there's endless possibilites. It would be the perfect remote for a smart house, along with the ability to have access to limitless "things". I have a server sitting on my computer desk that houses movies, games, music, articles, etc... that I could have access to any time I wanted.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

 
iggibar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 20, 2009
Location: C-Town
Posts: 4,065
iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

iggibar is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
...market it as the iPad pro.
See, now we're thinking on the same page.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,073
DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

DarkestRitual is offline
Mac OS X 10.7 = iPad Pro? We'll see how it goes... I really like iOS, I think maybe they'll redesign Mac OS X to work with a larger touch screen device?

Either way, I don't think Windows 7 works as a Touch OS. Windows Compact 7 is a little bit better. We'll see where Microsoft takes this, because I think that lately they've been designing some quality software. I am just still not a fan of their OS, and I think their touch offerings are far behind the rest of the pack. Honestly, even using it on a giant 26 inch touchscreen gateway and HP models at work, I'm still not a fan of Home Premium. The demand for precision mouse clicking is just too high, and it is far from optimized for touch. OS X on the other hand is more than ready to have touch added into it, and I think Apple will meld some mixture of SL and iOS into 10.7 and release 13-17 inch touch devices possibly? Who knows! I can't imagine the world without a traditional desktop PC, and I think that Apple still needs to dominate in that market, since their product has been so quality for so long.

We'll see what happens!
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

 
dan828's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 12, 2005
Location: Ceres, Ca
Posts: 670
dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

dan828 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Mac OS X 10.7 = iPad Pro? We'll see how it goes... I really like iOS, I think maybe they'll redesign Mac OS X to work with a larger touch screen device?

Either way, I don't think Windows 7 works as a Touch OS. Windows Compact 7 is a little bit better. We'll see where Microsoft takes this, because I think that lately they've been designing some quality software. I am just still not a fan of their OS, and I think their touch offerings are far behind the rest of the pack. Honestly, even using it on a giant 26 inch touchscreen gateway and HP models at work, I'm still not a fan of Home Premium. The demand for precision mouse clicking is just too high, and it is far from optimized for touch. OS X on the other hand is more than ready to have touch added into it, and I think Apple will meld some mixture of SL and iOS into 10.7 and release 13-17 inch touch devices possibly? Who knows! I can't imagine the world without a traditional desktop PC, and I think that Apple still needs to dominate in that market, since their product has been so quality for so long.

We'll see what happens!
Windows 7 has a bunch of features for touch interface, and even with out them, I use logmein from my iPad all of the time to log onto my computer at work running windows 7, and it works fine without a mouse or keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,073
DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

DarkestRitual is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828 View Post
Windows 7 has a bunch of features for touch interface, and even with out them, I use logmein from my iPad all of the time to log onto my computer at work running windows 7, and it works fine without a mouse or keyboard.
Yea... apparently fine for you isn't fine for me. I don't like having to try to tap the same spot all the time. Even with super blown up buttons, I don't like it. Good for you, though. Glad you're satisfied. The way it currently stands, Microsoft is behind the game in touch, and have a lot of catching up to do. The real threat is from Google.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Motorola Droid 2 may suffer ironic signal problems [Electronista] | sync bookmarks to android »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Signs point to eventual Apple television set, says analyst the8thark Apple Rumors and Reports 0 07-03-2010 08:58 PM
How to insert a bullet point in Pages? rheannarudy OS X - Operating System 2 04-23-2010 08:06 AM
Clues point to international iPad launching April 24th the8thark iPad Hardware and Accessories 0 03-31-2010 07:23 AM
Airport Extreme (n only) and additional 802.11g access point Wheeljack Internet, Networking, and Wireless 4 02-08-2010 02:42 PM
Help..How to connect wirelessly with an Access Point? mec Apple Notebooks 5 07-28-2004 05:12 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?