New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

man arrested for using wide-open wifi AP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

speedydave

Talk about BS...

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar...tid=193&tid=17
QUOTE Thanks
Ey3 D

Wtf man, retarded.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

If you are going to do something of questionable intent have the common sense to move every 30-45 minutes.

Put another way "Man arrested for knowingly using a private connection without permission for multiple hours." If you don't think you are doing something wrong why hunch and hide when people pass.

I have done war driving before and will do so again, but I have enough common sense not to squat for hours at the same spot. I suppose it is because I only map I don't use them. On the few occasions where I have been on the move and needed a quick connection I have done the unthinkable. Find an open WAP, knock on the door and ask if I could use it. It is amusing to see the reactions. I subscribe to T-Mobile hotspots and have a cellular internet access plan so this is not a common problem for me but it has happened.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

if you dont secure it, then you are sharing it. the article said that most wireless set ups come with password protection. wireless routers come with instructions that tell you how to set it up. ignorance is bliss, i guess. the other thing that got me was that they made an analogy about sharing out microsoft products. in order to share microsoft products, you have to have a serial. that would mean that you knowingly gave the serial to someone to use. so that really cant be related to someone not using encryption on there wireless network and sharing out there connection unknowingly. i can see where this law is beneficial, but if he was not doing something unlawful over the internet he should be be prosecuted.

QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Let's say I park my car on a busy city street. I leave all the doors open, the keys in, and the engine running. If somebody gets in and drives off, what do you think the police are going to say? "Yes sir, you were doing nothing wrong, and this is not your fault in any way!"

Let's not be ridiculous; most of the fault lies with the person who failed to secure their network. Just like locking your car, secuiring a WAP should be COMMON SENSE today.
Example: I live in the boondocks and my nearest neighbor is well outside the range of any WPA I set up, and I STILL use a rotating encryption on my network! I also lock my car in the garage at night.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

If you needed an internet connection, why would you part out in front of someone's house when there are businesses that willingly provide it for free.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Family emergency - need to get a dial-up ASAP | mp4/m4a to mp3? »