New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Amusing battery lifetime difference

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

I am going into my second year as a Mac user, but only into my second month as a MacBook Pro user. Our small town finally got an Internet coffee shop with a decent connection. Great place to kibitz around with others.

But, I have noticed to my amusement that the Mac users are sitting at the tables in the center of the room, and the PC people are sitting around the walls. The reason, of course, is that the PCs all need to be plugged in to power if they are being used any length of time at all.

I can relate to this, since I have an otherwise very good laptop with Linux that I used before this MacBook. But, the Linux PC will run just about an hour and fifteen minutes before it shuts down with a dead battery. My MacBook won't run the ten hours that I see that is claimed in Apple's ads, but it will definitely run far longer than any session I have ever had - many hours, at least.

I haven't pointed this out at the cafe, since it is a very friendly place and I don't want to start any kind of OS war, and I am not an OS evangelist anyway. But it is a very apparent difference between the different hardware if someone ever notices.
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Sonicjet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13' Macbook Pro i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
I am going into my second year as a Mac user, but only into my second month as a MacBook Pro user. Our small town finally got an Internet coffee shop with a decent connection. Great place to kibitz around with others.

But, I have noticed to my amusement that the Mac users are sitting at the tables in the center of the room, and the PC people are sitting around the walls. The reason, of course, is that the PCs all need to be plugged in to power if they are being used any length of time at all.

I can relate to this, since I have an otherwise very good laptop with Linux that I used before this MacBook. But, the Linux PC will run just about an hour and fifteen minutes before it shuts down with a dead battery. My MacBook won't run the ten hours that I see that is claimed in Apple's ads, but it will definitely run far longer than any session I have ever had - many hours, at least.

I haven't pointed this out at the cafe, since it is a very friendly place and I don't want to start any kind of OS war, and I am not an OS evangelist anyway. But it is a very apparent difference between the different hardware if someone ever notices.
You know that's the funny thing,the linux os has bad power saving systems..and there are plenty of Windows machines that are more than capable of running beyond 9 hours...it is just up until a few years ago that their makers figure out that maybe people want battery life...
The other thing is that people with 5 hours battery life are more afraid of it dieing than those with 8.
Its not the os,it the maker....
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

You have to keep in mind as well, at what they are doing on their computers...

If they're taking advantage of the WiFi, they could be playing WoW, or even multitasking..

I do see what you're trying to say though.. I never pay attention to the battery life, because with the way that I use a computer (mobile recording), it's going to drain fast anyways.
QUOTE Thanks
TF626

TF626 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic

Moving from some of my past Windows PC to my MacBook Pro, I can see a huge difference in battery life. But my Dell Latitude D630 had a sick battery life, even better than my MacBook Pro.

@Sonicjet - I would disagree the OS plays an important part in battery efficiency, if you run Windows on your Mac, your battery life will decrease. OS X is a lot smaller footprint than any Windows such as Vista, or 7 that I know off in terms of size of the OS to install on your HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

It depends totally on the computer. Some one with a smaller netbook just surfing the web won't be draining a battery as some one running programs that require intense GPU usage.

Next time, ask the people what hard ware they're using, what they're running, and the age of the battery if you would like to get a real comparison and not just an anecdote based on speculation.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF626 View Post
@Sonicjet - I would disagree the OS plays an important part in battery efficiency, if you run Windows on your Mac, your battery life will decrease. OS X is a lot smaller footprint than any Windows such as Vista, or 7 that I know off in terms of size of the OS to install on your HDD.
Installed size is largely irrelevant. What's more important is what the computer is doing and how it manages the services/daemons and applications on your machine.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

Also consider using ClickToFlash / H264 to aid battery life. Flash is a battery hog.

It's nice going to the coffee shop and having more choices for places to sit!
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Actually, in this coffee shop, there is very little or no gaming. I don't look over people's shoulders to see what they are running, but from the clientele I doubt that any of them besides me would connect the word WOW with anything but an exclamation. There is only an occasional nerd since most of them use college connections. It is all surfing.

Interestingly, I have yet to see a single notebook - at least that I recognize. By notebook, I mean those cheap low powered jobs, not small laptops.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I might have to go back to the dark side.. | Where is my post? »