New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

I might have to go back to the dark side..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

todd51

Well after being Windows free for my personal computing needs since summer of 2006, I might have to go back to Windows. I'm wanting to get back into PC gaming and my 13" MBP won't cut the Steam applications. Thought about a Mac Pro, but since I could just build a PC built to my own specifications, it's much easier and less expensive. I think I"ll budget around $700-$800 for a nice desktop that can play the most recent games at decent resolution. Probably throw Winows 7 64 bit on there. Thought about doing XP, but it's getting to be way to old of an OS. Now the only question is whether or not to go with the new Intel core processors, or an AMD processor. I think the AMDs will provide more room for upgrading processors in the future without having to replace the entire motherboard.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
Well after being Windows free for my personal computing needs since summer of 2006, I might have to go back to Windows.
Maybe this post should go in the "Switcher" forum...or maybe there should be a "Reverse Switcher" forum!

Windows computers do seem to be the way to go for hard-core gaming. Best performance/cost balance. You could still have a Windows computer for gaming...and use a Mac for everything else.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Maybe this post should go in the "Switcher" forum...or maybe there should be a "Reverse Switcher" forum!

Windows computers do seem to be the way to go for hard-core gaming. Best performance/cost balance.

- Nick
Haha, reverse switcher forum, I like it!

Yea, I just miss playing games on Steam on my old gaming PC that I had built way back in 03-04. I played games on it up until 2008 and the motherboard went out and died.

I know a couple of my friends will be excited to hear about it. I'll finally be able to get back into PC gaming with them! I would love to do a LAN party sometime soon, haven't been to one of those in a loooonnng time!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

There is nothing wrong with having a mixed environment - many people here have both Windows machines and Macs at home. Use the tool that is best for the job and a Windows machine is still best for gaming.

I notice in your Mac specs that you have a 27" iMac. Have you thought about boot camping it (assuming the video card meets your needs)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
There is nothing wrong with having a mixed environment - many people here have both Windows machines and Macs at home. Use the tool that is best for the job and a Windows machine is still best for gaming.

I notice in your Mac specs that you have a 27" iMac. Have you thought about boot camping it (assuming the video card meets your needs)?
Yea, I should take that out. I sold the 27" iMac a while ago, didn't like the whole all-in-one design. I was actually dual-booting it at the time with Windows 7 to play games and it ran Left 4 Dead at 720p resolution! It was pretty awesome, although for some reason the sound drivers weren't working with Windows 7 very well, so I couldn't chat. Which is a very essential part of the game if you have ever played it.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Ditto. I have long been an advocate of using a Mac laptop as my primary computing environment, and maintaining a gaming rig running Windows for those purposes.

The nice thing is, I can constantly refresh my hardware at minimal cost and never have a lump sum to pay out to run the latest and greatest games. Every few years, I'll get a new video card, motherboard and/or CPU. The case, optical drives, power supply, etc stay the same. And since I'm only playing games on it, maintenance of Windows is not a problem in the slightest.

Do let us know what hardware you're looking at, we can help you pick components if you want.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Ditto. I have long been an advocate of using a Mac laptop as my primary computing environment, and maintaining a gaming rig running Windows for those purposes.

The nice thing is, I can constantly refresh my hardware at minimal cost and never have a lump sum to pay out to run the latest and greatest games. Every few years, I'll get a new video card, motherboard and/or CPU. The case, optical drives, power supply, etc stay the same. And since I'm only playing games on it, maintenance of Windows is not a problem in the slightest.

Do let us know what hardware you're looking at, we can help you pick components if you want.
Well I'm thinking of spending about 700-800 right off the bat. Do you think I should go AMD or one of the newer Intel processors?

EDIT: cwa, I think I'm going to go with an AMD quad-core processor, just having some trouble picking out the right processor and motherboard. Can anyone suggest something that could be on budget for a $800 computer? The motherboard doesnt' really need to have any video output even though most of them do. USB ports aren't a big concern for me, I don't have too many peripherals, so I don't need a ton of them.

I also have a LCD screen with HDMI for a monitor, and have a keyboard/mouse. Also looking to order from TigerDirect.com since I get parts faster through them than NewEgg.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
Well I'm thinking of spending about 700-800 right off the bat. Do you think I should go AMD or one of the newer Intel processors?

EDIT: cwa, I think I'm going to go with an AMD quad-core processor, just having some trouble picking out the right processor and motherboard. Can anyone suggest something that could be on budget for a $800 computer? The motherboard doesnt' really need to have any video output even though most of them do. USB ports aren't a big concern for me, I don't have too many peripherals, so I don't need a ton of them.
Every time I think about my next system, I always say "I'm gonna go AMD next time", but when push comes to shove, for whatever reason, I always stick with Intel. The chipsets, sockets and naming schemes for their processors just seem to click with me. I often find myself confused when trying to figure out AMD's latest components and what is compatible with what.

If I were building one right now, I'd be going for a Core i5 or i7 with an AMD Radeon 5870 card. The video card is much more important than the CPU in terms of gaming, so I'd probably go with the more budget-minded CPU and spend more money on the video card. I also wouldn't do dual video cards until you actually see how the system performs with the games you play -- you can always add a second one in Crossfire if push comes to shove, just make sure your motherboard supports it before you commit to a particular model.

As far as motherboards go, I tend to buy Gigabyte. I like their solid state capacitors and overall designs. ASUS makes a nice MB too. MSI seems to have quite a following, but I don't have much personal experience with them.

Another tip - spend good money on a very good power supply from companies like PC Power & Cooling or Antec. Cheap, knock-off PSUs are often rated with a very high peak output, but in reality they can't handle that kind of sustained output. Buy a power supply that will outlive your motherboard and is overkill for your components. This way you won't have to buy another one down the road.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

NewEgg has a rather nice bundle right now with a Core i5 and a Gigabyte board for $309:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

The i7-920 is still one of the best bang for the bucks. They were on clearance at several places for about $200. You can over clock the **** out of them and it's verrrrrrry easy to do. I've even seen bench marks where they outperform stock higher end i7's.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Thanks for the replies guys! I will definitely check this more out when I get off work. Typing this from my phone right now.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

@ todd51

What model MBP do you have mate ??
Just wondering as too if it has the newer NVIDIA GeForce 320M ?? or the older one ??
Trying to determine if mine the with the newer NVIDIA GeForce 320M will run Steam as i havnt checked it out yet

Cheers

EDIT : Just noticed the bottom of page sig of your and you have only 2GB and the new models came out with 4GB standard ... So i worked it out my self thanks

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have always done the same thing. I would just use an Xbox or PS3 but I love building computers and I can have it my way.

I used to use AMD for all my gaming rigs till the Core Duo and later Core 2 Duo came out. So far AMD has some catch up to do before I will go back to using them in my Gaming rigs. The latest Intel's CPUs just blow down anything else.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
@ todd51

What model MBP do you have mate ??
Just wondering as too if it has the newer NVIDIA GeForce 320M ?? or the older one ??
Trying to determine if mine the with the newer NVIDIA GeForce 320M will run Steam as i havnt checked it out yet

Cheers

EDIT : Just noticed the bottom of page sig of your and you have only 2GB and the new models came out with 4GB standard ... So i worked it out my self thanks
My MBP has the 9400M chipset in it. It does play Portal pretty good, but not at the specs I want it to.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have always done the same thing. I would just use an Xbox or PS3 but I love building computers and I can have it my way.

I used to use AMD for all my gaming rigs till the Core Duo and later Core 2 Duo came out. So far AMD has some catch up to do before I will go back to using them in my Gaming rigs. The latest Intel's CPUs just blow down anything else.
Yea, my last gaming rig, I used AMD. I'm thinking about going with the core i5 processor. I figured instead of getting an i7, I'll save the left over cash to dump on the video card. Anyone have a preference of nVidia or ATI? My last PC I built had an ATI card in it and it worked wonderfully for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Japanese Dolphin Slaughter Uncovered | Amusing battery lifetime difference »