New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Japanese Dolphin Slaughter Uncovered

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

Hi guys, it has been a while since i posted anything on here but i am still here. it has come to my attention recently through a documentary called the Cove that japanese fishermen are killing thousands of dolphins each year, particularly in a place called Taiji. Japan is the only government to not adhere to the banning of fishing whales and dolphins since it was made ilegal to do so in the 1950s.

Anyway firstly i very much recommend everyone watches this documentary as it explores the issue in greater detail and explains its causes and effects. It can be found here - Watch The Cove online - download TheCove - Watch Movies Online, Full Movies

In addition i myself am taking some personal action on this matter and am organising a protest march on the japanese embassy details of which can be found here - Welcome to Facebook - i urge anyone that can to come along and to let others know about it. The first person to raise awareness of this issue was a man called Ric O Barry and his website can be found here - SaveJapanDolphins.org | Ending dolphin slaughter in Taiji .

Also feel free to post any responses or question/queries and maybe we can get a discussion going on here, anything to raise awareness would be great as this is something i have become rather passionate about.

Thanks,
Jordan
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I watch that show on Animal Planet I think it's called Whale Wars. Don't the Japanese claim they are doing this for "Research" purposes?
QUOTE Thanks
MyBrokeniPhone

MyBrokeniPhone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 3Gs, iTouch and iClassic.

If you're interested here's an interesting article from the BBC on the subject:

BBC News - Australia tells Japan: Stop whaling or face court

The Japanese do claim that their whaling is for 'research purposes' though I think that's loosely enforced.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I recall they sell the meat and from what I gather it's very much in demand and sells for big money over there.
QUOTE Thanks
MyBrokeniPhone

MyBrokeniPhone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 3Gs, iTouch and iClassic.

I always thought it was the oil?
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

It's probably both. I know here in the U.S. it's illegal to possess any part of a whale.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_OS View Post
Hi guys, it has been a while since i posted anything on here but i am still here. it has come to my attention recently through a documentary called the Cove that japanese fishermen are killing thousands of dolphins each year, particularly in a place called Taiji. Japan is the only government to not adhere to the banning of fishing whales and dolphins since it was made ilegal to do so in the 1950s.
The Japanese kills thousands of dolphins - how is this different than the killing of presumably millions of cattle, chickens and pigs every year to feed people? What about hunting ducks, deer and other animals (not a hunter so I can't name more)? I'm also no lawyer but I've also been told that international law has absolutely no force. I've been told stories by a political science prof wherein companies and individuals have brought the Canadian government (or a provincial government) to the international court, won and had the government simply ignore the ruling (or vice versa).

I'm not necessarily pro-dolphin hunt but I have a hard time differentiating this from other hunting practices. If the hunt is cruel (something I don't believe in), it's the fault of the hunters and not the government.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I can't remember the whole bit, but it ended along the lines of saving the dolphins because they are cute and smart.
Honestly, that sure seems to be the primary reason people rally against the dolphin hunt. It's much the same for the seal hunt. People rarely, if ever, make a fuss about cattle or chicken "farming" though.

Again, if it's done in a cruel manner, I think that they should cease doing so. If not, I still can't see the difference between this and other forms of hunting.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Honestly, that sure seems to be the primary reason people rally against the dolphin hunt. It's much the same for the seal hunt. People rarely, if ever, make a fuss about cattle or chicken "farming" though.

Again, if it's done in a cruel manner, I think that they should cease doing so. If not, I still can't see the difference between this and other forms of hunting.
Where as i see your point the distinction with something like a dolphin is that there is significant research to suggest that they do possess a degree of consciousness which means there are many more ethical issues associated with their hunting.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
I watch that show on Animal Planet I think it's called Whale Wars. Don't the Japanese claim they are doing this for "Research" purposes?
That is the loophole that fishermen use yes but in reality it is simply not true.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Quote:

I agree completely. We need to eat, but there is no need to be cruel in doing so. Man has been snagging his meals with a stick or sharp object for the better part of 1.5M years. I don't worry about extinction either - all species go extinct eventually. Most species that have existed are already extinct, and some day we will be as well. That said, I'm a long time ASPCA supporter and could drop the hammer on an ******* far more easily than an animal. Michael Vick should be ripped apart by dogs in my opinion. Still, I am not sure why some animals seem to have a higher level of ascribed worth over others. Honestly, I've received more nourishment from tuna than dolphin, and thus I'd have to say I value tuna more based on that merit.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
The Japanese kills thousands of dolphins - how is this different than the killing of presumably millions of cattle, chickens and pigs every year to feed people? What about hunting ducks, deer and other animals (not a hunter so I can't name more)? I'm also no lawyer but I've also been told that international law has absolutely no force. I've been told stories by a political science prof wherein companies and individuals have brought the Canadian government (or a provincial government) to the international court, won and had the government simply ignore the ruling (or vice versa).

I'm not necessarily pro-dolphin hunt but I have a hard time differentiating this from other hunting practices. If the hunt is cruel (something I don't believe in), it's the fault of the hunters and not the government.
It's actually a LOT different. Perhaps not on a moral level, but the difference lies in reproduction of the species. Dolphins and whales could be at risk for extinction and they're both extremely important for the sea's ecosystem in general.

On land, man breeds and raises cattle for food and the supply of such animals is nowhere near being extinct and find it hard to believe that they would ever be. When it is deer season, they are only (supposed to be) hunted then, and it's because there is an over population of such animals. And in case you weren't aware of this, these beautiful creatures can wreak havoc in terms of disease and other such things, and all in our very own back yards. It's not all about being a redneck and getting kicks from shooting an beautiful animal, so I'd suggest doing a bit of research on said topic, as you'd be surprised with what you'd learn.

I'm not saying I like the thought of animals being slaughtered, I actually hate it. I'm an animal lover, actually and wanted very badly to be a vet, but went the human route instead. There are many great documentaries one can watch which would heighten one's awareness about what goes on in the food industry, and would also likely turn ones stomach to the point of them never wanting to eat a chicken or red meat again. But when practiced correctly, "slaughter" for consumption doesn't have to mean blind cruelty. Though I'm sure that can be debated as well.

Point though... Dolphins and whales are a heck of a lot closer to the human food chain than a cow or chicken in that they ARE mammals for one, and two it has been proven that dolphins are able to understand and communicate with humans. They are very intelligent creatures. Not that it makes killing them any worse than another creature... But again, it's about the proliferation of the species. Think about how difficult to impossible it might be to reinvigorate the whale species! Whale breeding ? Dolphin breeding ?

We already have a tough enough time trying to repopulate some of the other endangered species on the earth which aren't in the ocean.. Heck, if it were possible, we'd be doing this with bees, which seem to be appearing less and less in the places we need them to be during certain seasons, but that's another long story.

But yeah... totally different, and that's more fact based, than it is opinion.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
I don't worry about extinction either - all species go extinct eventually. Most species that have existed are already extinct, and some day we will be as well.
Ah, while this is indeed true, the fact remains that as human beings we have a very strong instinct for survival. And the problem with your hypothesis is that while all species do, and will eventually be extinct (with perhaps the exception of certain insects such as the cockroach or in that family) the most important ones which we depend on ecologically speaking, have not done so while we've been around.

And while it seems selfish to think and to say, the truth of the matter is that if we don't want a tumultuous negative change in the way human beings are able to exist, it might be in our best interest to make sure that ocean life as it is now, thrives rather than dwindles into obscurity or nothingness.

Heck, maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't like to be right, either. Just sayin'.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Ah, while this is indeed true, the fact remains that as human beings we have a very strong instinct for survival. And the problem with your hypothesis is that while all species do, and will eventually be extinct (with perhaps the exception of certain insects such as the cockroach or in that family) the most important ones which we depend on ecologically speaking, have not done so while we've been around.
I'm not sure I agree with your logic, but I respect your opinion. ie: strong survival instinct, yet unable to adapt to extinctions of important species? I think we will last as long as we will last. Our ability to adapt is impressive, but still finite. It will eventually fail us regardless of our best laid plans or purest intentions. If the dolphins going bye bye does it sooner than nuclear war, or a pandemic, or aliens who like a side of human to go along with their tuna, the end is still the same.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with your logic, but I respect your opinion. ie: strong survival instinct, yet unable to adapt to extinctions of important species? I think we will last as long as we will last. Our ability to adapt is impressive, but still finite. It will eventually fail us regardless of our best laid plans or purest intentions. If the dolphins going bye bye does it sooner than nuclear war, or a pandemic, or aliens who like a side of human to go along with their tuna, the end is still the same.
Haha.. last point very true. But... it's not that we would be unable to adapt to the extinctions of important species. Rather that if such extinctions did manage to expedite the break down of certain eco systems, more quickly, which we depend on for a lot of resources, then yes... that "same ending" you spoke of will indeed hasten its pace as well.

Dude, I just wanna see space exploration reach the point of where we are able to inhabit and screw up other planets.. so come on.. save the whales !

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Buy? | I might have to go back to the dark side.. »