New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Tips for selling iPhones?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

butters149

butters149 is on a distinguished road

I have 2 brand new iPhone 4s for sale and my old 3GS, I've been hearing alot of these scams on ebay lately where the buyer would say nothing was in the box. Of course everyone and their moms will side with the buyer.

I think I will sell on craigslist, are there any tips? I am going to activiate the phone and remove the sim card. Do alot of craigslist people use fake cash?
QUOTE Thanks
JordanJez

JordanJez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2 GHz 1Gb(soon to be 4:) 120gb HD. 2nd gen iPod. Rip iPhone Rip iPhone 3g Rip iPad

Craigslist is always good, no most people never use fake cash on craigslist. include pictures and maybe a cell phone number so they can contact you.

How much you selling for anyway?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Since this is a very sought after item..go with CL and try to restrict yourself to local sales..meet the buyer in person and always take cash and then hand over the phones..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
butters149

$650, is that good? They are going for $700 on ebay.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

scams can happen on all items and places. If you are a new seller, you will be targeted by a scam artist. From my experience, ebay offers you great seller options to reduce scams. You can put restrictions on who can bid for your item. One requirement option is for minimum feedback required. You can also read the feedback of the bidders that bid on your items. If ANYTHING seems fishy about them, withdraw their bid! Simple as that. I have more than 250 transactions with 100% feedback, and I have never been wronged by a scam artist, though I have had 2 attempts of people expecting to get something while paying nothing after I shipped it. If you don't know/understand the field you are selling something in, you should not sell there. CL is fine as long as you meet them in person, and count the money there. Don't feel stupid by bringing a marker to mark the money, you would not believe how many people try to buy with fake currency. Ebay should bring you the most money, as long as you are very descriptive, have great photos...touch them up to make them better looking...
God speed!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I would add that CL is a better option for something like a phone, which has many subjective qualities that could later be argued. I generally try to meet someone in a place which is related to the item being sold or traded so that everyone can verify everything works correctly... were I buying an iPhone, I'd meet at an AT&T Wireless store; a gun sale would be at a shooting range, and so forth... Everything else gets done in the local Police or hospital parking lot as there is a greater likelihood of help and video cameras being around. Going armed isn't a bad idea either.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I sell all my old iPhones on eBay and have never had an issue.

Of course I only sell to people with PayPal accounts, in the US, with positive feedback, certain account longevity, and no violations.

I had more scam issues Craigslist than on eBay. It all just comes down to being careful and smart about how you do things regardless of where you sell and buy whether it's eBay, Craigslist, or even Mac-Forums.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
butters149

That is good tip and I prefer ebay too, but what about the part where the buyer receives the item and claims that everything is in the box except for the phone. This is the part that worries me, and on the paypal seller protection it states "Claims and chargebacks where the buyer says that the shipped item is significantly not as described" are not covered under seller protection.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters149 View Post
That is good tip and I prefer ebay too, but what about the part where the buyer receives the item and claims that everything is in the box except for the phone. This is the part that worries me, and on the paypal seller protection it states "Claims and chargebacks where the buyer says that the shipped item is significantly not as described" are not covered under seller protection.
thats the very reason I don't use Feebay anymore I got scammed by a guy who claimed he got the iphone but the box was empty, Paypal promptly put my account in the negative well over $400. 99% of the time Paypal will side with the buy not the seller.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« inception - Review | Top Internet memes »