New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Windows Phone 7: Don't bother with this disaster [InfoWorld]

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Windows Phone 7: Don't bother with this disaster | Mobilize - InfoWorld

Quote:
The bottom line is this: Windows Phone 7 is a pale imitation of the 2007-era iPhone. It's as if Microsoft decided in summer 2007 to copy the iPhone and has shut its developers in a bunker ever since, so they don't realize that several years have passed, that the iPhone has advanced, and that competitors such as Google Android and Palm WebOS have also pushed the needle forward. Microsoft is stuck in 2007, with a smartphone OS whose feature checklist might match that era's iPhone but whose fit and finish would look like a Pinto next to a Maserati.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Man, he doesn't cut 'em any slack whatsoever in that article.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I think the only word to describe that is scathing.

I had always thought that the UI was interesting. The key word there is interesting in that I was never able to make up my mind whether or not I liked it. I've never really had that problem with UIs from Palm, RIM, Apple or Google. The interfaces from other companies looked either useful and productive or looked like a mess. The W7 UI on the other hand leaves me puzzled (but still intrigued) and honestly, I shouldn't be puzzled about the usability of the interface of something as simple as a phone.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Wow I never thought I'd see that written about anything Microsoft. If he is right there is no way that they have all of these issues cleaned up by the end of 2010.

BTW Anyone else find it incredible that they do not appear to have done UI testing with actual users? I know this is Microsoft but I thought they did more testing than that.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I think I'll reserve judgment until the phone is released - and the author probably should have too.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I have a friend who works on the Windows Mobile team at Microsoft. And he sad the review got many things wrong in reviewing this. And secondly, the non-disclosure agreement was in place at the time he wrote the article, so he obviously doesn't have any experience with testing it out either.

This is no different than the media hyping up the iPhone 4's antenna problem, when they have never tested it out themselves either.
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

I agree with this guy, there too late to make an impact in the phone market.

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Couldn't the same have been said of Apple when they joined? Or Google? I don't think it's ever too late as long as you bring something fresh, innovative and unique to the market. Whether MS does this or not will only be determined once it has been released.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

some good articles on that site

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
torbjoern

torbjoern will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)

Windows Mobile (WM) operating system has not impressed me at all. Sluggish performance and battery-hogging bugs are a major drawback. Perhaps this will improve when MS puts it on their own hardware, but I wouldn't count on it.

Just the fact that MS doesn't even let people to change language on a handheld device with WM installed, makes me wonder what they're thinking of. A friend of mine lives in Belgium, and she bought an HTC phone with WM. It turned out that the pre-installed language was French while they speak Dutch in her part of Belgium. Trust me - those two languages are very different, and there's no way the OS language can be changed. And no, she is not even allowed to change it to English. WTF is that?

Microsoft developing a mobile phone? Makes me think of the car that Homer Simpson designed in ep 7F16.

Better lose a bar on the iPhone 4 than losing an iPhone 4 in the bar.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

I'm taking this with a grain of salt (well, a few grains anyway) considering that:

-the phone is not out yet
-WM 7 is not out yet
-the history of WM platform worked great here on one device, but badly on another

And since MS is trying hard to capture a slice of the mobile OS pie- this might fail, it might crawl along.

Whatever happens, happens. No guesses on what could happen either.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB3
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

That's pretty funny, and almost how I predicted it. But we'll see when the phone is actually dropped on the market. Anyways, it's not even on my radar regardless of how it sells.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I have to agree with what this article says. And saying a product being developed is so bad it's better to cut development and consolidate your losses then release it it very harsh indeed. But from what I've read about the whole Windows mobile experience and from the whole Kin debacle I think the article is spot on. Sure in the future they can fix these issues but by the time that happens you'll have an iphone 5 or 6 and new android phones.

Sure MS can fix these issues. But the question is what's the point if they are always behind the 8 ball as I said about. As soon as MS make their current phone good, the competition releases a phone 100x better do MS need to catch up always.

I think for that reason MS should pull out of the mobile OS hardware game. And just make mobile Apps for the iphone/android and sell them that way. MS were always known for their software and not their hardware. And I think they should stick to what they are good at. Making software for machines that others build.
QUOTE Thanks
Applediscord

Applediscord is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... i think it's highly unlikely that they would be ale to surprise us with something REALLY innovative
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I wonder if it's "Powered by Bing!"... That would give it a real edge over Google

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Plextor bus powered Blu Ray drive released | What Have You Been Browsing Lately? »