New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Microsoft kills kin 6 weeks after launch - LOL

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Microsoft Kills Kin

This is hilarious. 500 sold? Lol.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Hum that's interesting...maybe that's why I haven't seen any commercials for this product, except on youtube?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
JordanJez

JordanJez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2 GHz 1Gb(soon to be 4:) 120gb HD. 2nd gen iPod. Rip iPhone Rip iPhone 3g Rip iPad

Yeah, I read this on Gizmodo today. Not real shocking Microsoft pushes another product out and turns out to be flop. I also read that the number sold was well above 1,000 but far south from 10,000.

(apple sold 1.5 million iPhone 4's on the first day)

Apple-1
Microsoft-0
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

No surprise there. Why buy a crippled smartphone when you could have gotten a fully featured Droid or iPhone for the exact same price?

The data plan is what really killed the Kin. The price of the hardware and its features were enticing, but nobody was going to pay an additional $30 a month for their kid to be able to access their social networking sites from their phone.

This clearly shows the difference between Microsoft and Apple. Apple managed to get AT&T to offer affordable data plans for the iPad on launch. Microsoft either doesn't have the clout with cellular providers or simply did not think of working with Verizon to offer a cheaper data option for the Kin.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I just never understood the Kin UI. It just looked like a jumbled mess.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Died before I even knew it existed.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Thank You!!! Now I don't have to watch those stupid commercials anymore!
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

watching a commercial right now. i always thought is was a stupid idea.

QUOTE Thanks
JordanJez

JordanJez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2 GHz 1Gb(soon to be 4:) 120gb HD. 2nd gen iPod. Rip iPhone Rip iPhone 3g Rip iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I just never understood the Kin UI. It just looked like a jumbled mess.
I agree looks like a bunch of clutter. I think they should have marketed to a different market say the stalker demographic, know what everyone is up to ALL THE TIME.
QUOTE Thanks
Jerichoa

Jerichoa will become famous soon enough

I've never even heard of this before. I feel kind of bad for it. At least it wasn't a slow death!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

This phone sucks. Kash got it right about the data plan pricing.

Also this phone is nothing but plastic. It feels cheap and doesn't have any functions besides the social networking features. I sold my first one yesterday and it was to a older lady who didn't speak english and doesn't even have a e-mail address. I told her she didn't want that phone but she insisted.

Glad they axed this phone and I can finally not see them in my store anymore.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Here is a non-gizmodo link.
I know I know, but I just hate gizmodo with every fibre of my being.

Microsoft Kin is dead -- Engadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Died before I even knew it existed.
And this is a good point. We know about Apple products before they are even released. And the Kin. Developed, released, recalled and shot out the back of the MS office in Redmond all before many people knew the things even existed. What a waste of money for MS that little debacle was.
QUOTE Thanks
TF626

TF626 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic

I thought Microsoft was crazy for releasing the Kin, such an ugly phone. It just didn't have a lot of appeal to me as a consumer, and obviously everybody else didn't think it was that great.

Hopefully a lesson learned for their Windows Phone 7!
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

See, I thought the Kin One was really cute, and I was totally considering getting one, but an extra $30 a month for what is essentially an "enhanced" messaging phone was way too much.

I'd pay the extra $30 if it were a full fledged smartphone, and even then, I'm paying like, $25 extra now.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for Bloggers | Mid-year resolution.... »