Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Could this spell the end of Dell?
    In Faulty-Computer Suit, Window to Dell Decline
    In Suit Over Faulty Computers, Window to Dell?s Fall - NYTimes.com

I've had many problems with Dells before. Dells were never my favorites-- I always preferred HP. I don't think this is the end of Dell... I think they have a little while left. People still love them because they're traditional, even if they are crap.

I've used Gateways, eMachines, Dells, HPs, Acers, you name it! The best Windows computer I've ever used is one of the ones I built myself.

I wouldn't mind it if this was the end, though. I hold a lot of animosity towards Dell due to consistently bad experiences with their computers.

Specs:
    -->
    Interesting article, who knows on their future. I still have an Optiplex with bad capacitors sitting in a closet at home.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    Interesting article, who knows on their future. I still have an Optiplex with bad capacitors sitting in a closet at home.
    Do remember the Capacitor issue was not just dell. Apple, Asus, MSI, and every other major motherboard had some of the bad caps at one time.

If Dell willingly knew the computers would fail and did nothing, that is pretty bad.

Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Do remember the Capacitor issue was not just dell. Apple, Asus, MSI, and every other major motherboard had some of the bad caps at one time.

If Dell willingly knew the computers would fail and did nothing, that is pretty bad.
    You are right, it was more than just Dell but I just remember more Dell's having the issue. The truth may never come out on if they knew of an issue and kept shipping product anyway, while other manufacturers made changes to alleviate the problem. I have just had too many issues with Dell machines over the last few years to the point you wonder if they even care.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    I remember the days back when Dell was a well respected computer company, putting out quality products and offering great customer service. My first Dell lasted forever.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    John, BTW, a friend found a Dell Optiplex workstation by the side of the road and thought I would like to mess with it. GX270 with SATA and a lot of nice stuff. Issue was many caps buldging and leaking. Powered on but then smoke started around the CPU area. Shorted caps!!

I got a board on Ebay with the newer caps for $20 and it works great again! 3.06Ghz HT. Still quite useable but my first Dell with the cap issue. Most of the other Dells that are dead I have worked with are blown power supplies. The cheaper Dells seem (at least at one point) to have a very wimpy and underrated power supply. I have seen so many Dells die due to the PS. I wonder if that is the issue or some other components?

Edit: don't want to do another post so will say, it was the 200 Series! Good guess!

Specs:
    -->
    I did get one board from eBay as well and never had an issue again. It was in the Optiplex GX260 SFF desktop. The bad one that I have right now still could be very useable, but just never got online to get a new board.

I seem to remember some of the power supplies in the 200 range, which IMO is sub-par especially in a tower case where one can add another hard drive and CD/DVD drive.

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    I think Michael Dell needs to shut the company down and give all the money back to the shareholders...

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    I think Michael Dell needs to shut the company down and give all the money back to the shareholders...
    Yes, indeed

Specs:
    Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.1
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    Yep! It seems the tables have turned, indeed. Who's the chump, NOW? Looks like Jobs is a having the last laugh as Apple is now worth more than MS and Dell combined...

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I have seen capacitor damage in a lot of electronics especially some brands of power supplies for a few name brand flat panels all for saving a few pennies.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by osxx View Post
    I have seen capacitor damage in a lot of electronics especially some brands of power supplies for a few name brand flat panels all for saving a few pennies.
    I just took apart the external power supply for WD Firewire hard drive. Two Bulging capacitors, one on the 5 Volt and the other on the 12 volt rail. That is what caused the Power Supply to die.

Specs:
    Late 2008 MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by osxx View Post
    Yep, I had to replace capacitor in my LCD TV... the TV had a total of 17 capacitors in it and when I opened it up 8 were bad. Fortunately a capacitor is less than a dollar a piece, so it wasn't a huge cost. In fact I now keep my eye out for someone trying to sell their dead TV, maybe I'll be able to find someone selling a bigger set that will only cost 10 or 20 to fix.... If that happens, I'll be glad for the batch of bad capacitors.

Thread Information