New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Buy now or wait for Intel?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aantoine90

aantoine90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM

Should I wait to buy a mac until the ones with Intel chips come out? I have a PB G4 right now, but I was thinking about buying a desktop at the end of the summer, I am saving up my money from my job, and I could get more if I wait even longer, until the ones with Intel chips start rolling around. I was just wondering what all of you thought as well.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Perhaps one of these threads may hold an answer for you
Intel to delay my switch?
Tough decision!!!Should I buy powerbook?
Advice Please - buy Powerbook now or wait
There are others, a search for "buy intel" or something like that should turn them up.
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aantoine90
Should I wait to buy a mac until the ones with Intel chips come out? I have a PB G4 right now, but I was thinking about buying a desktop at the end of the summer, I am saving up my money from my job, and I could get more if I wait even longer, until the ones with Intel chips start rolling around. I was just wondering what all of you thought as well.
I say wait depending on the speed of your Powerbook. What you should do now is go get a bluetooth mouse and Keyboard and a real good LCD monitor. Then use your PB as a desktop while at home.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

I am personally waiting for intel.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

wait for intel mate, u don't wanna be stuck with ppc especially when u know intel is gonna roll out in about a year or so..
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If your system is doing everything you want it to do, with no problems. Then I would wait.

I on the other hand have a Ti powerbook, which I think ti is time to upgrade. I will most likely getting a powermac this fall after I move into my new house.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider
wait for intel mate, u don't wanna be stuck with ppc especially when u know intel is gonna roll out in about a year or so..
I happen to be "stuck" with Power PC. Call me crazy, but I don't think Apple will hang us PPC users out to dry with this Intel switch- they need our business too!

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

Im waiting till the Intel chips start rolling out then, just before they say goodbye to PPC I'll buy the best PPC iMac I can, that will easily last a couple of years until the Intel chips are working flawlessly. Apple have already stated that they're not going to hang PPC out to dry as sevenhelmet said.
I would only change my mind on this if the forst Intel machines run extremely well and exceed everyones expectations.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

If it was a Powermac I'd go PPC cause they are plenty fast enough to keep you kickin tail all the way through the transition..... If it was a PB or a Mini... I'd wait for Intel. A Pentium M Powerbook sounds pretty tasty to me.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
Texasmeat

Texasmeat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

I think that powerpc users will be "left out to dry" but I dont think by Apple directly. Everything that works now will work in a year and even then some. The problems will come by third parties not updating drivers or making new apps to the ppc platform. It's kinda like new classic apps these days. Dont see a whole lot of them do you? This is why some people are upset by the switch.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Why would the powerpc users be left in the cold? If all of your application are working, then they should be working in the near to long term future. Remember you don't have to upgrade. That is why there, those people out there still using OS9 and windows 98.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

If you Powerbook is serving you well, then keep saving the money for a future purchase. Notice I didn't say MacIntel box.

In a year we'll have a better idea how Apple is going to release Intel product lines. From what I've been reading, it looks like Intel will first appear in the low end and laptops. Personnally I expect the laptops to be first. Your desktops will come later and then the towers and servers. So your looking very far out for that desktop you want.

The thing is, if you really need a desktop now, I see no good reason not to buy one. You'll get several years of service from it and when it is time to upgrade, you may be looking at the second or even third generation of MacIntel boxes. Also the software and hardware market for them will be much more developed.
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

BigBear has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel
Im waiting till the Intel chips start rolling out then, just before they say goodbye to PPC I'll buy the best PPC iMac I can, that will easily last a couple of years until the Intel chips are working flawlessly. Apple have already stated that they're not going to hang PPC out to dry as sevenhelmet said.
I would only change my mind on this if the forst Intel machines run extremely well and exceed everyones expectations.
i'm kinda thinking along the same lines.

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmeat
I think that powerpc users will be "left out to dry" but I dont think by Apple directly. Everything that works now will work in a year and even then some. The problems will come by third parties not updating drivers or making new apps to the ppc platform. It's kinda like new classic apps these days. Dont see a whole lot of them do you? This is why some people are upset by the switch.
Wouldn't universal binary help to curb this? It's not like there was ever an option of doing universal OS9/OSX apps... But here there is an alternative....

I just don't see developers walking away from an entire market of PPC users over not wanting to "do a little tweaking and check the PPC and intel boxes." Even if it turns out to be a little more complicated than Steve played it out to be.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

first i would like ta say i dont know crap but this is my theory. ive see it posted that only about 2% of all peole witha puter have a Mac. After Mactel has been released for a hole year, what do you think the % of people witha Mac will have a Mactel? im thinkin like not even 2%. this isnt a big market. when the mactell comes out i bet theres not a lot of mactel only stuff. i think they will be using alot of old software with that app Jobs showed at the keynote (stone or tablet was in the name i cant remember). it might even make it slower ta use um too. so if there isnt a lot of mactel only software, an older machine might be faster making it better. but like i said i dont know crap.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« music review | Free iPod Mini with purchase of Mac (from apple.com website) »