New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Starbucks to bring free Wi-Fi to all its stores

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Starbucks to bring free Wi-Fi to all its stores
Starbucks to bring free Wi-Fi to all its stores | Electronista
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

That's pretty awesome, considering the fact that since there's a Starbucks on practically every corner in NYC, that means free wifi everywhere !

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

roeiboot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB061LL/B & iPhone4

i haven't used it often but i thought it was free before ?.. i know Panera & McDonalds in my area has free WiFi.

~rb
iPhone 4 /16GB MacBook3,1 iPad my blog
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roeiboot View Post
i haven't used it often but i thought it was free before ?.. i know Panera & McDonalds in my area has free WiFi.
I was just about to say the same thing. WIFI at Starbuck's was free up to about 12-24 months ago (at least in the United States)...that's when Starbuck's went to some sort of "non-free" wifi.

I'm guessing that the "non-free" Starbuck's wifi program never worked out...and probably ticked off a lot of their loyal customers who used to appreciate the free wifi.

With McDonald's launching a line of "Coffee House" like coffees (at much lower prices than Starbuck's), and probably stealing a bunch of Starbuck's business (plus McDonald's having free wifi)...Starbucks had to cave-in and go back to free wifi.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Starbucks is not exactly doing good right now closing stores all over the country it's no surprise they went with free wifi,Although I never go to Starbucks I guess is good if your one those people who sit outside starbucks with your Macbook Pro drinking a $8 coffee.
QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

yup, they have to do something to attract business...

~rb
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I was just about to say the same thing. WIFI at Starbuck's was free up to about 12-24 months ago (at least in the United States)...that's when Starbuck's went to some sort of "non-free" wifi.
That's not true. Starbucks used T-mobile for hotspot access previously, that wasn't free. They swtiched to AT&T for hotspots, that was only free for 2 hours or if you had an iPhone. It was never free, unless your local store decided to give it away for free which is definitely different than the norm.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

we/i must be living in a good area..

~rb
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Yeah, Starbucks wi-fi was never free where I live (Phx, AZ) and neither was McDonald's until recently.
I read a similar story on this and it looks like Starbucks will have specific ads tailored to local business (i.e. an ad for a dealership down the street) somehow show up when you connect to their wi-fi. Probably some sort of banner that you can't remove/ignore.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Took them long enough

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Took them long enough

I 2nd that, Look how many stores they have closed.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Actually, Starbucks changed their policy on WiFi when they switched from T-Mobile to AT&T. During the T-Mobile days it was not free, however, upon switching over to Ma Bell around 18 months ago they began to offer free WiFi if you purchased a Starbucks card. Any denomination. All you had to do was register the card on their web site with a log on ID and password and from then on WiFi was free at their stores.

I've used up my card long ago but can still access WiFi at any of their stores where they have it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can you please take one minute to help me... | Hello Everyone! »