Thread: Such a deal...

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Thumbs up Such a deal...
    Got an E-Mail at work announcing a M$ Home Users Program deal for the employees where I work. Downaload Office (PC or Mac) for $9.95, backup DVD, $12.00 plus tax (depending on where you live).

I just got the full retail version of M$ Office Professional 2010 AND MacOffice: 2008 for $47.50. Both come as a download AND with a mailed "backup" DVD direct from M$.

Heck of a way to increase market share by M$.

Such a deal...

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    That is a deal.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    My wife was able to get Office 2008 for Macintosh for $20 bucks from where she works (plain brown wrapper, install CD/DVD). Definitely a decent deal...so I upgraded from Office 2004.

-Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    A while back, MS was offering Office Ultimate to students for $50. I thought that was a good deal! As a student though, I'm entitled to access Microsoft's DreamSpark program. While it's all Windows stuff, it's nice knowing I can get it for free.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Same here, although the downloadable version is new. Do bear in mind that the license rides on your employer's license and if you terminate employment, you're supposed to remove the software.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Our purchasing program allows buying the MS Office 2011 Standard version full install (DVD included) for $79.00. (Three installs.) As far as I know the license remains with us. I wish they would do the same for the Mac version but so far it's only for Windows.

Regards.

Specs:
    iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    A while back, MS was offering Office Ultimate to students for $50. I thought that was a good deal! As a student though, I'm entitled to access Microsoft's DreamSpark program. While it's all Windows stuff, it's nice knowing I can get it for free.
    Ditto, dreamspark is wonderful.

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Just an update. Bought Office 2011 for the Mac for $9.95. Downloading now. Something new, 1 License = 2 installs. SWEET!

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    Just an update. Bought Office 2011 for the Mac for $9.95. Downloading now. Something new, 1 License = 2 installs. SWEET!
    Yep - that's how I got mine back in January - tough to beat that deal. I'm still waiting for us to fully switch to Win 7 (they keep delaying the switchover) so I can get an at home copy of that as well.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    Yep - that's how I got mine back in January - tough to beat that deal. I'm still waiting for us to fully switch to Win 7 (they keep delaying the switchover) so I can get an at home copy of that as well.
    Don't hold your breath on that one. Since Vista, M$ now requires an Activation server on corporate networks. So, the volume license version still needs activation, unlike XP. Machines check into that Activation server periodically, and if it doesn't check in, the copy deactivates.

For machines that travel and will never check in, you have to call into Microsoft and get a special activation key, specific to each machine.

Microsoft Volume Licensing - Product Activation
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Don't hold your breath on that one. Since Vista, M$ now requires an Activation server on corporate networks. So, the volume license version still needs activation, unlike XP. Machines check into that Activation server periodically, and if it doesn't check in, the copy deactivates.

For machines that travel and will never check in, you have to call into Microsoft and get a special activation key, specific to each machine.

Microsoft Volume Licensing - Product Activation
    So you don't think MS will do a Win 7 home use program like they've done for Office? That might explain something I observed. Last year - I could follow a link to the MS home use SW (basically we logon to an MS site from the Corporate domain and then they send us a code and link - and you access and download from home) - there was a Win 7 package listed - but it had no pricing and was still greyed out. At the time I just assumed it was because we're still on XP - and that it would change once we went to Win 7 which we're overdue for here.

When I checked back in January to get Office - I didn't see that option anymore.

I guess I'll just continue to wait and see. Hopefully we'll switch soon - but I was hoping to not have to shell out $200 for an OS that I will only be using for a couple of specific things (and no, gaming isn't one of them.)

Specs:
    I think HUP might vary a bit from company to company - mine has never offered Windows, but we do get the same deal on Office.

Now, this varies a bit from EPP, where you can get a "special discount" on just about anything made by M$ - but then again, the prices for M$ products through EPP have always been ridiculous. You could do better going retail.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I think HUP might vary a bit from company to company - mine has never offered Windows, but we do get the same deal on Office.

Now, this varies a bit from EPP, where you can get a "special discount" on just about anything made by M$ - but then again, the prices for M$ products through EPP have always been ridiculous. You could do better going retail.
    I hadn't seen Windows offered previously either - so I was pleasantly surprised and got a little hopeful after seeing Win 7. I just rationalized it that perhaps the idea was to speed the learning curve but maybe that was wishful thinking. But - like I said - it seems to have vanished - and we're still on XP while the rest of the world has moved to Win 7 some time ago (I assume at least). Most of the smaller companies I interface with are all running Win 7.

I haven't looked since January - but I don't remember seeing Win 7 for anything under $200 although I just looked on NewEgg and the prices are a little less than that. I'm in no hurry for it - but sometime in the next few months will probably need to install it for some tools for which I can only find Windows versions.

I actually don't know if we get EPP on other MS items - but we do get EPP for Apple :-) Of course, dummy that I am, I forgot about it for every Apple purchase but one - and even that was negated when I made the exchange for the newer MBP. Oh well.

Thread Information