New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Summer Dilemma

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Just wanted to share my summer project with you guys. I was thinking about making a new gaming rig or getting a new iMac. Both my old rig and iMac are starting to show their age so I thought now would be a good time to update.

It this or a 27" iMac. I'm still not sure yet...because two of the important parts of my rig have parts that are sold out and I don't know when they will be in. My budget is $2,100 USD. If I get an iMac it would be under cause I would get student discount.

Feel free to chime in or crit my build. >_>" OCing for sure.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Plus there is a pretty hefty iMac (2.8GHZ i7) in the refurb store right now for about $1850 USD.
I can't weigh in on any of the comparisons, I'm not a gamer. But thought you might want to know about that good deal if you do decide to go with an iMac.

Happy hunting!

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Plus there is a pretty hefty iMac (2.8GHZ i7) in the refurb store right now for about $1850 USD.
I can't weigh in on any of the comparisons, I'm not a gamer. But thought you might want to know about that good deal if you do decide to go with an iMac.

Happy hunting!
Yeah I was looking at the refurbish store last night....and debating on whether or not to get that iMac. Seems like a great deal but I dunno. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The display on the 27 iMac alone makes me want one plus the specs ain't bad either.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
The display on the 27 iMac alone makes me want one plus the specs ain't bad either.
I know right...that's why it is hard to decide. They are in the same price range. The only thing is that you can't upgrade the iMac, the way you can PC gaming rig.

That's why I try to keep them separate.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

This is the build I put together for my friend, although note he already had a cpu cooler (same one you plan on using, and I would strongly suggest it again.)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Come on now, cut all this talk out. You guys are givin me the bug just from reading the two lists. Haven't built an OCing rig in 4 years now, just this cheesy HTPC I've got.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnerants View Post
This is the build I put together for my friend, although note he already had a cpu cooler (same one you plan on using, and I would strongly suggest it again.)

Wow someone loves their gigabyte? Nah joking with ya. That's a pretty good build too. I wanted to save some money so I decided to use a slightly slower processor. I figured I was going to OC it anyways and from what others have done they said they could get it stable around 3.9-4.1 Ghz. That's pretty darn fast. >_>"

How far could you OC that version of the processor?

My build is a little different cause I'm setting up a RAID 10 and crossfire. >_>" Might be overkill for the game that I'm playing but I figured I might as well go all out. Especially since it's for a MMORPG and there is going to be a lot of Map zoning. Managed to get invited to the FFXVI beta. ^-^" YAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Come on now, cut all this talk out. You guys are givin me the bug just from reading the two lists. Haven't built an OCing rig in 4 years now, just this cheesy HTPC I've got.
It's actually been almost that long for me too. 5 years for me actually. >_>" What brand of thermal compound do you guys recommend?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
How far could you OC that version of the processor?

My build is a little different cause I'm setting up a RAID 10 and crossfire. >_>" Might be overkill for the game that I'm playing but I figured I might as well go all out. Especially since it's for a MMORPG and there is going to be a lot of Map zoning. Managed to get invited to the FFXVI beta. ^-^" YAY.
For OCing, I say dig around tom's hardware a bit or what ever tech forum you like.

Secondly for getting into FFXVI..... I hate you
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnerants View Post
For OCing, I say dig around tom's hardware a bit or what ever tech forum you like.

Secondly for getting into FFXVI..... I hate you
Oh yeah how could I ever forget Tom's Hardware. >_>" I haven't been their in ages cause my Macs keep me busy. ^-^"

I know it's the jealously talking, deep down you love me.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« as excited as I was for the iphone to go CDMA... | I know im nobody »