New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

apple store hiring -

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beaniegirl

beaniegirl is on a distinguished road

hi all,

this is actually my first post here, so bear with me. :-) i have read around the site off and on over the years, just for general info about the mac products that i use.

earlier this month, i was contacted by apple to come in for a hiring seminar. after searching around this site, i have assumed that this is pretty common. it was around 30 people with a few employees and some videos / speeches. pretty interesting stuff. lasted about two hours. felt good about the whole thing. admittedly, i'm not a total "mac geek" (mean that lovingly, of course) so the whole hype and aura of the store didn't really psych me out. i felt pretty comfortable and am just looking for some interesting part time work and saw that apple was hiring. long-story-short, a few days later, i received a request to come in for an additional interview. did that. went very well -- was pretty encouraged by the asst manager's feedback. about a week later i got another request to come in for a third (and final) interview with the top manager. went in, was comfortable, went as well as the second. very encouraged. upon leaving i was told i'd be contacted via HR concerning the next step.

about an hour after i got home, i was sent a message directing me on how to start / approve / complete my background check. this was through hireright (the third party that does all of apple's background checks, from what i've gathered). on their website, i punched in the appropriate information and checked the option to receive a copy of my approval signature as well as a copy of the report that they generate on me. this upcoming wednesday will mark two weeks since i've submitted that information. my question is less about "what does apple think of me?! are they not interested?!" and more about protocol: has anyone had similar wait times in hearing back from background screenings, especially those with apple / hireright? i know that most sites say it takes around a week, maybe longer. i have a clean record, not even a parking ticket, and good credit. i don't want to e-mail my point of contact at apple if it would look premature or overzealous, but would it be acceptable, in your opinion, to maybe check in on the process on wednesday? two weeks seems like an acceptable window of time.

this is mainly because i've gotten two previous job offers that need to hear back by the end of next week and i don't want to blow those and hold out for apple.

thanks for reading and for any input!

- bg
QUOTE Thanks
Zanthe

Zanthe is on a distinguished road

Follow up immediately with your contact at the Apple Store by email.

These things take time with Apple BUT you have to be assertive and show your continued interest.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Yes/no... that's a little too assertive. You're basically hired. They're running your background check. You've had your final interview. Email them maybe in a day or two just to ask when they are usually completed by. To do it now would come off as desperate.

Jealous, by the way. I'm still waiting for my Best Buy to get Macs in. :-\
QUOTE Thanks
beaniegirl

thanks for the responses.

darkestritual - yes, i thought to wait until wednesday. that will mark two weeks officially since i've submitted my info and completed my final interview. i certainly don't want to appear desperate, mainly because i'm not. i simply wanted to check in and see how the process was coming along. like i said, i have two other offers that need an answer by the end of the week and, from what i've been told, there's nothing left to do with apple except hear the final word after the background check. i just didn't know if my experience was atypical and needed a follow - up, or if this is just how they do their hiring.

sadly, i also never received (nor inquired about) a solid decision date, so i really have no idea how to gauge how long this may take. i know a lot of people in my position would be saying, "who cares? it's apple!" but i don't want to pass up any more potential opportunities waiting for this one that, for whatever reason, seems to be taking forever. and there's always the risk that it may not pan out, even though i was pretty much told that if i made it to the final interview with the top manager, i was in. i'm not one for putting all my eggs in one basket, even if it is apple! :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Zanthe

Quote:
i simply wanted to check in and see how the process was coming along.
Absolutely noting wrong with that. It's how people get employer's attention and get jobs. In this market being assertive should not be confused with being desperate. You want the job? Let them know you want it!

I agree that you're pretty much hired if they went through the whole HireRight thing but it never hurts to let them know you're totally interested.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

If you do get hired on,Can you please not turn into one of these people?

The 14 People you meet in the Apple Store.

Black Holes and Snowy Mountains The 14 People You Meet in the Apple Store
QUOTE Thanks
beaniegirl

thanks, zanthe. i agree. besides that, one would have to assume that if you're applying for a job, you're not just applying at one particular place. you'd be applying many places and, if the process takes an extended amount of time like this one, it's not too much of a stretch to assume a person might want a more timely answer.

more than anything, from what i've gleaned from other forums/sites is that the apple hiring process is unlike any other and takes a considerable amount of time in proportion to the position (i.e. retail -- though it is unlike any other typical retail position). i just wanted to know if my situation was atypical, or if others had an extended wait between final interview and a decision (and even moreso concerning the background checks).

~ bg
QUOTE Thanks
beaniegirl

bargs - ha! duly noted and not a problem. i actually had a long discussion in my second-phase interview about the stereotypes of apple employees. got a good laugh out of the hiring manager, but considering i don't wear glasses, am an introvert, not going to be demoing or geniusing, and am not asian, i don't think you have to worry.

a lot of people troll forums like this before interviews trying to see if they can absorb anything about the "culture" or "style" of an apple employee beforehand, thinking it will improve their chances. i have to tell you, given my experience in the whole thing, this is a very egregious error and a horrifically overblown stereotype. given the nature of the store and the level of hype surrounding it and its products, naturally there's going to be archetypes that emerge, just due to the sheer visibility. this is also carried on by the fact that there's a current "hipster trend" and people are breaking their necks to fit these molds because they think this will help them out. the truth is, it won't. at my seminar, i was surrounded by a handful of what i would consider "natural" people. everyone else seemed way too enthusiastic and apple-happy to feel comfortable around them. at every turn in the interview process, i was encouraged to *not* talk about apple at all. it wasn't hard. i believe most of why they liked me was because i wasn't passing out in their presence, treating them like kings and also because i have very extensive high-level retail experience, serving the highest clientele. that doesn't make me a fantastic person or someone worth having an ego, it's just the truth. i can handle myself in very high-pressure, high-expectation retail environments. it had very little to do with my "apple culture" or my "apple knowledge". in fact, i flat out told them i use a dell at home and a macbook for the documentaries / albums i self-produce. they're not impressed by flattery.

~ bg
QUOTE Thanks
beaniegirl

oops, forgot about this posting! since many of you were kind enough to reply / message me on this topic, thought i'd let you all know i didn't have to contact them after all. apple called me last week with a formal offer. slow pokes. ;-)

thanks for all the input. i shall now disappear into the anonymity in which i began. peace!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniegirl View Post
apple called me last week with a formal offer. slow pokes. ;-)

thanks for all the input. i shall now disappear into the anonymity in which i began. peace!
Does this mean you are accepting the Apple offer?

And why are you disappearing...you're welcome here!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
beaniegirl

i'm definitely taking the offer. too good to pass up! but i've never been a forum person or a poster of any kind, so i just figure i'll revert back to that naturally.

thank you for the welcome. i'm sure if i have any other questions or concerns, i'll know just where to go!

~ bg
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Sweet! Congrats on your new job!
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Congrats on the job offer. This does mean that you will provide all forum members with your employee discount right?
QUOTE Thanks
Zanthe

Nice going!

Kinda sickening what they pay huh? But it's the Apple Experience that's important.

Have fun with the new job.
QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

roeiboot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB061LL/B & iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthe View Post
Nice going!

Kinda sickening what they pay huh? But it's the Apple Experience that's important.

Have fun with the new job.
how much do they make ?

~rb
iPhone 4 /16GB MacBook3,1 iPad my blog
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will be gone for a while. . . | Rec'd a "buddylist" friend request from this forum »