New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Are Google going too far?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ipodmacfan

ipodmacfan is on a distinguished road

It seems like Google are now DELIBERATELY trying to compete with Apple...I mean...

Apple - Mac OS X
Google - Chromium OS

Apple - iPhone
Google - Nexus One (and other Android phones)

Apple - iPad
Google - Upcoming Android tablet (probably going to be made with their best friends, Nvidia, Adobe, HTC and the like), plus other Android tablets

Apple - Apple TV
Google - Google TV

Apple - iTunes
Google - Upcoming Web-Based iTunes competitor

I think it was fine right up the TV thing...that was just a blatant attack at the Apple TV's market.
Bear in mind a few years ago (around when the first iPhone came out), a lot of these didn't exist, and Google were good friends of Apple...
Sure, Google are out there to make money, and most of the products they launched are actually pretty good, but all of these products are basically Google clones of Apple products...there's little innovation involved.

What next...a Google MP3 player to compete in the iPod Nano's market?

Currently Own: iPhone 4 16GB/iPod Nano 5G 16GB/Macbook Pro 2010 13"/iPad 64GB 3G
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

What's the problem? Competition benefits the consumer. By having to compete, both companies will put out excellent products they otherwise wouldn't have if they were alone in that particular market segment.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
What's the problem? Competition benefits the consumer. By having to compete, both companies will put out excellent products they otherwise wouldn't have if they were alone in that particular market segment.
Agreed 100% I love the competition it keeps everyone on their toes
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Is a company going too far by competing for market share with another company?

Are Google going too far?

... Where's the blank face smiley when you need it?

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I think more options are better as well. Google and Apple are better at some things, and on the flip-side, not so great.

Like… I think Apple TV is a flop, so Google TV may spur some innovation perhaps. I hope.
QUOTE Thanks
ipodmacfan

ipodmacfan is on a distinguished road

You clearly missed my point...they were more ripping off than competing. Note that things like Android phones and the Android tablet were announced only a few months after the iPhone and iPad respectively.

Currently Own: iPhone 4 16GB/iPod Nano 5G 16GB/Macbook Pro 2010 13"/iPad 64GB 3G
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodmacfan View Post
You clearly missed my point...they were more ripping off than competing. Note that things like Android phones and the Android tablet were announced only a few months after the iPhone and iPad respectively.
There's a term that I've always liked... "Piggy-backing". Taking an idea and building on it. It's how good things are made great. Like everyone else said, competition is important for advancement in technology. If necessity is the mother of invention, then competition is the landlord knocking on your door looking for the rent check. (did that make sense??)

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chuongster

chuongster is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Competition benefits the consumer.
I agree with Kash. This is very important to a free market economy. I would not want to see any company dominate the market and charge ridiculous prices for their products.
Competition = Good
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
You don't understanding how technology, technologists, and the companies whom employ them works. You're talking about a "few months", while in the meantime, future iterations of ideas have already been examined and are only awaiting the next wave of products to hit the shelves.

These companies are made up of so many different entities, which have been playing in this field for a long time. Do you really believe that any one company has exclusive rights to an idea ? That is preposterous to think !
And do you honestly think that Apple coined every single one of their product ideas on their very own too ? Did you know that the original iPod GUI was bought and NOT invented by Apple ?

There are a lot of things which work like that, so you'd better start getting used to the idea that if it weren't for collaborative "thinking" innovation would be a sitting duck. Same goes for music, fine art, architecture, sculpting, food recipes, and so on..

Want a great example ? I'll defer to music, since I'm a musician. Can you pinpoint the exact point in time when a particular person or group of people created the necessary ingredients which were able to bring us all of the different types of music which exists today ? Think about that for a while.

Now do you understand how silly what you said sounds ? Hope so.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
You clearly missed my point...they were more ripping off than competing.
I can kind of understand your point about the copying but usually consumers can tell who is the one innovating and who is the wannabe copycat. That is part of the reason why we all don't buy knockoff copycat products. If it was exactly the same then I can see your point but as others have mentioned part of advancement is trying to improve upon a good idea. The competition makes Apple and it's competitors improve their products.

If Google were releasing exact clones of every Apple product then I can also see your point but Apple products are not perfect and there are things about their products that can be improved upon. You also make it sound as if Google's only projects are the same as Apple's. Some of them happen to be the same as Apple's while their other projects aren't. Google seems to want a piece of every market out there and be this super giant come to me for everything company.

As mentioned by someone else Apple's TV isn't Apple greatest shining moment and if Google can improve upon the idea then so much the better. Also if something is in demand then other companies are going to try to tap into that market and improve upon what is already there. Like I said earlier customers usually can tell who the copycat is and who actually innovates and improves their products.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Tablets were in the market for ten years before iPad came out. You saying Apple copied Microsoft and its hardware partners? There were several MP3 players on the market years before the iPod came out. You saying Apple copied Rio, Creative, etc?

Just because Apple makes a product and other companies come out with similar products doesn't mean they blatantly copied Apple. Apple isn't some magical company 5-10 years ahead of everybody else, they just look like they are.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

This thread is funny. I agree with Kash.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
Agreed 100% I love the competition it keeps everyone on their toes
And I agree with this comment 100% We need apple on their toes, not sitting back with nothing to need to put out to stay ahead!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I agree with Eric559

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
This thread is funny. I agree with Kash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
And I agree with this comment 100% We need apple on their toes, not sitting back with nothing to need to put out to stay ahead!

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« " Can I borrow your iPod....again ?" | So I'm traveling to China »