Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Schweb's Lounge (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/)
-   -   Are Google going too far? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/202676-google-going-too-far.html)

ipodmacfan 05-20-2010 02:58 PM

Are Google going too far?

It seems like Google are now DELIBERATELY trying to compete with Apple...I mean...

Apple - Mac OS X
Google - Chromium OS

Apple - iPhone
Google - Nexus One (and other Android phones)

Apple - iPad
Google - Upcoming Android tablet (probably going to be made with their best friends, Nvidia, Adobe, HTC and the like), plus other Android tablets

Apple - Apple TV
Google - Google TV

Apple - iTunes
Google - Upcoming Web-Based iTunes competitor

I think it was fine right up the TV thing...that was just a blatant attack at the Apple TV's market.
Bear in mind a few years ago (around when the first iPhone came out), a lot of these didn't exist, and Google were good friends of Apple...
Sure, Google are out there to make money, and most of the products they launched are actually pretty good, but all of these products are basically Google clones of Apple products...there's little innovation involved.

What next...a Google MP3 player to compete in the iPod Nano's market?

Kash 05-20-2010 03:03 PM

What's the problem? Competition benefits the consumer. By having to compete, both companies will put out excellent products they otherwise wouldn't have if they were alone in that particular market segment.

bargsbeer 05-20-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kash (Post 1055527)
What's the problem? Competition benefits the consumer. By having to compete, both companies will put out excellent products they otherwise wouldn't have if they were alone in that particular market segment.

Agreed 100% I love the competition it keeps everyone on their toes

Village Idiot 05-20-2010 03:12 PM

Is a company going too far by competing for market share with another company?

Are Google going too far?

... Where's the blank face smiley when you need it?

iWhat 05-20-2010 03:22 PM

I think more options are better as well. Google and Apple are better at some things, and on the flip-side, not so great.

Like… I think Apple TV is a flop, so Google TV may spur some innovation perhaps. I hope.

ipodmacfan 05-20-2010 03:24 PM

You clearly missed my point...they were more ripping off than competing. Note that things like Android phones and the Android tablet were announced only a few months after the iPhone and iPad respectively.

MYmacROX 05-20-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodmacfan (Post 1055534)
You clearly missed my point...they were more ripping off than competing. Note that things like Android phones and the Android tablet were announced only a few months after the iPhone and iPad respectively.

There's a term that I've always liked... "Piggy-backing". Taking an idea and building on it. It's how good things are made great. Like everyone else said, competition is important for advancement in technology. If necessity is the mother of invention, then competition is the landlord knocking on your door looking for the rent check. (did that make sense??) ;D

chuongster 05-20-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Competition benefits the consumer.
I agree with Kash. This is very important to a free market economy. I would not want to see any company dominate the market and charge ridiculous prices for their products.
Competition = Good

Doug b 05-20-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

You don't understanding how technology, technologists, and the companies whom employ them works. You're talking about a "few months", while in the meantime, future iterations of ideas have already been examined and are only awaiting the next wave of products to hit the shelves.

These companies are made up of so many different entities, which have been playing in this field for a long time. Do you really believe that any one company has exclusive rights to an idea ? That is preposterous to think !
And do you honestly think that Apple coined every single one of their product ideas on their very own too ? Did you know that the original iPod GUI was bought and NOT invented by Apple ?

There are a lot of things which work like that, so you'd better start getting used to the idea that if it weren't for collaborative "thinking" innovation would be a sitting duck. Same goes for music, fine art, architecture, sculpting, food recipes, and so on..

Want a great example ? I'll defer to music, since I'm a musician. Can you pinpoint the exact point in time when a particular person or group of people created the necessary ingredients which were able to bring us all of the different types of music which exists today ? Think about that for a while.

Now do you understand how silly what you said sounds ? Hope so.

Doug

EndlessMac 05-20-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

You clearly missed my point...they were more ripping off than competing.

I can kind of understand your point about the copying but usually consumers can tell who is the one innovating and who is the wannabe copycat. That is part of the reason why we all don't buy knockoff copycat products. If it was exactly the same then I can see your point but as others have mentioned part of advancement is trying to improve upon a good idea. The competition makes Apple and it's competitors improve their products.

If Google were releasing exact clones of every Apple product then I can also see your point but Apple products are not perfect and there are things about their products that can be improved upon. You also make it sound as if Google's only projects are the same as Apple's. Some of them happen to be the same as Apple's while their other projects aren't. Google seems to want a piece of every market out there and be this super giant come to me for everything company.

As mentioned by someone else Apple's TV isn't Apple greatest shining moment and if Google can improve upon the idea then so much the better. Also if something is in demand then other companies are going to try to tap into that market and improve upon what is already there. Like I said earlier customers usually can tell who the copycat is and who actually innovates and improves their products.

Kash 05-20-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Tablets were in the market for ten years before iPad came out. You saying Apple copied Microsoft and its hardware partners? There were several MP3 players on the market years before the iPod came out. You saying Apple copied Rio, Creative, etc?

Just because Apple makes a product and other companies come out with similar products doesn't mean they blatantly copied Apple. Apple isn't some magical company 5-10 years ahead of everybody else, they just look like they are.

Eric559 05-21-2010 12:18 AM

This thread is funny. I agree with Kash.

iggibar 05-21-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargsbeer (Post 1055529)
Agreed 100% I love the competition it keeps everyone on their toes

And I agree with this comment 100% We need apple on their toes, not sitting back with nothing to need to put out to stay ahead!

TattooedMac 05-21-2010 05:58 AM

I agree with Eric559 ;)

JUKE179r 05-21-2010 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric559 (Post 1055720)
This thread is funny. I agree with Kash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku (Post 1055725)
And I agree with this comment 100% We need apple on their toes, not sitting back with nothing to need to put out to stay ahead!

:Cool: