Thread: Back to Panther

Ex_PC_Puke
    Back to Panther
    Its a small bug - but I'm tired of it ---- many many complaints at the apple tiger site about systems not going to sleep - then when you walk in the room to use them they run like syrup on a cold day in february.

I deleted the energy preference .plist and it worked for a day or two - then back to the usual.

So I'll nuke the system tonight and reinstall Panther - I just got caught up in the whole tiger thing ---Don't really know why I had to got to tiger when panther is rock solid -- I value stable and reliable to flashy and flakey

A lesson learned !!!!!! - I've got tiger licenses for my mini and PB --- I'll just wait until 10.4.3 or so to use them

no problems here worth trashing Tiger. Good luck! But I'm not to familiar with panther either only had it a month
    www.idadgraphics.com
    I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
    thank you MacForums and all it's members

That's a shame. Tiger is working great for me.
    DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
    www.wattsupproductions.com

dstyrk
    I'm not all that impressed with Tiger.. I did have a small issue with my start up items.. For whatever reason, when I would login, my mouse wouldn't work. If I came in in safe mode, it worked fine.. I just removed all start up apps. ie Mail, Yahoo etc..

Specs:
    13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
    No Problems with Tiger here either.
    Generally it's 3 party hacks & 3rd party software that hasn't been updated that causes problems with Tiger not the OS itself.
    Cheap ram has been known to cause trouble too.
    The fact that "it" works with Panther doesn't mean it will work with Tiger. Too many changes under the hood to take anything for granted.
    I think Tiger is great.
    ~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

Ex_PC_Puke
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    Try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

Yeah - I could do all that ..... but why ??? Panther runs great and my system sleeps like a baby now. As to 3rd party SW mucking things up - as a mac noobie I hardly have any non-apple SW loaded.

Bottom line is tiger is "nice" - but none of its core features are that critical to my computing experience. My being a hard-core techie for so many years is what made me "want" to jump to tiger ASAP --- but like I said Panther is mature and stable which is more important to me as I move away from being a hard-core techie to a healthcare person.

Its great that a lot of folks move to the latest OS as that helps Apple and gets it debugged - I'm just not one of those folks :dummy:

Thread Information