New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Ps3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LogicBox

LogicBox is on a distinguished road

So I am thinking of buying a PS3, but it seems that they are only selling the slim models now, which I think these things are kinda fugly I think its the matte top that does it. Well though it looks like sams club is got a better deal around then anyone else eg. Crapbuy, Target, Gamestop. They have a PS3 slim 399.99 comes with MW2 2 controllers, and the tv style remote control for it.
What are yours guys thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Put it this way, my 120gb Slim was $300 CDN with only ONE controller, no games or anything else.

EB Games also didn't give me my discount of $100 which I still have to fight them for, but yeah, coming with another controller, TV Remote, and MW2 for $400 is a good deal.

Considering an extra SixAxis controller is about $60, MW2 is about $60-$70, and the TV remote is probably about the same.

Just make sure you buy an HDMI cable if you don't already have one, as the PS3 does NOT come with ANY kind of HD-connectivity medium.
QUOTE Thanks
LogicBox

Ya, I thought it was a really good deal considering all that extra would have been like way more then an extra 100 bucks. Does the HDMI cord on that thing handle the sound too? Or will I need to get or does it come with the audio cables?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Do you need backwards compatibility with PS2 games? If so...the newest PS3's are not backwards compatible.

Otherwise...the basic PS3 system sells for around $299 (with one controller).

Official PS3 controllers sell for about $50-$55 each...and the PS3 remote sells for about $22 bucks. So add the cost of a 2nd controller ($55) and the PS3 remote ($22) to the basic PS3 system price ($299):

$299 + $55 + $22 = $376

Also the price of the PS3 depends on what size hard drive comes with it...you didn't mention the HD size of the PS3 system you're considering.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Do you need backwards compatibility with PS2 games? If so...the newest PS3's are not backwards compatible.

Otherwise...the basic PS3 system sells for around $299 (with one controller).

Official PS3 controllers sell for about $50-$55 each...and the PS3 remote sells for about $22 bucks. So add the cost of a 2nd controller ($55) and the PS3 remote ($22) to the basic PS3 system price ($299):

$299 + $55 + $22 = $376

Also the price of the PS3 depends on what size hard drive comes with it...you didn't mention the HD size of the PS3 system you're considering.

- Nick
You forgot to factor in the cost of the game as well. MW2 new, is about $70 CDN, and used about $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicBox View Post
Ya, I thought it was a really good deal considering all that extra would have been like way more then an extra 100 bucks. Does the HDMI cord on that thing handle the sound too? Or will I need to get or does it come with the audio cables?
Yes, HDMI stands for "High Definition Multimedia Interface." That being said "multimedia" means that it transfers multiple types of media, in the case, both audio and video at the same time. Make sure you get a high bandwidth cable, one of the 10.2gbps cables, as it will help reduce motion blur and let the console/TV transfer more multimedia data between each other.

Another thing I'm kind of angry about the PS3, is that when you're using HDMI, the only way to run sound to a separate receiver/set of speakers is by using the digital optical audio port, which I do not have a receiver for.

Unless, of course, there is a cable (like the x360), where you can simultaneously run HDMI and a separate analog (RCA) cable for sound.

When I had the x360 setup, I had the HDMI running video, but the audio ran from the typical A/V port to my Logitech X-530 speakers (connected from RCA cables to Logitech's adapter to plug in the black/orange/green 1/8" plugs on the speakers.)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArt View Post
You forgot to factor in the cost of the game as well. MW2 new, is about $70 CDN, and used about $50.
I guess I was confused. I thought that the OP mentioned that the PS3 came with two of the special MW2 controllers vs. the MW2 game itself.

After rereading the OP's original post...you're probably right that it's the MW2 game.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:

Yes, HDMI stands for "High Definition Multimedia Interface." That being said "multimedia" means that it transfers multiple types of media, in the case, both audio and video at the same time. Make sure you get a high bandwidth cable, one of the 10.2gbps cables, as it will help reduce motion blur and let the console/TV transfer more multimedia data between each other.

Another thing I'm kind of angry about the PS3, is that when you're using HDMI, the only way to run sound to a separate receiver/set of speakers is by using the digital optical audio port, which I do not have a receiver for.

Unless, of course, there is a cable (like the x360), where you can simultaneously run HDMI and a separate analog (RCA) cable for sound.

When I had the x360 setup, I had the HDMI running video, but the audio ran from the typical A/V port to my Logitech X-530 speakers (connected from RCA cables to Logitech's adapter to plug in the black/orange/green 1/8" plugs on the speakers.)
Can't you run audio out of the TV? Most everything is going to optical audio cables now though.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
LogicBox

not to worried about backwards compatibility, and ya its the MW2 game that comes with it. I thought it was a sweet deal. and the HDMI cable that good that it does sound too so much neater install on the tv stand, I just know that back in the day there were some things that didnt transfer the sound accross HDMI cable and you had to have a seperate white red rca's
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I thought it was a sweet deal. and the HDMI cable that good that it does sound too so much neater install on the tv stand, I just know that back in the day there were some things that didnt transfer the sound accross HDMI cable and you had to have a seperate white red rca's
My experience connecting my PS3 to my HDTV was I wasn't able (or easily able) to get HD quality from the PS3 to the HDTV with the "RCA" connector cable. When I used an HDMI cable...I had no problem getting HD quality PS3 output to my HDTV.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Can't you run audio out of the TV? Most everything is going to optical audio cables now though.
I could, but I HATE watching TV with surround sound, so that'd require me to constantly unplug my surround speakers, as my TV only has one RCA output for audio.

With the x360, I was going HDMI for video, then in the standard output, using the red/white audio cables running to my speakers which has three 1/8" plugs. The gap between the two RCA cables and the 1/8" plugs was bridged by Logitech's "video game adapter." It's not a "traditional" surround setup.

Quote:
not to worried about backwards compatibility, and ya its the MW2 game that comes with it. I thought it was a sweet deal. and the HDMI cable that good that it does sound too so much neater install on the tv stand, I just know that back in the day there were some things that didnt transfer the sound across HDMI cable and you had to have a separate white red rca's
I can guarantee it transfers both audio and video, as this is how my PS3 is setup to my TV (Sharp Aquos 40").

I'd check your TV's spec sheet/manual for further info regarding this.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
My experience connecting my PS3 to my HDTV was I wasn't able (or easily able) to get HD quality from the PS3 to the HDTV with the "RCA" connector cable. When I used an HDMI cable...I had no problem getting HD quality PS3 output to my HDTV.

- Nick
That's because the RCA or "composite" cables transfer the data in an analogue signal, whereas HDMI is digital, so it's just straight digital signal. There's no A/D conversion.

You'll never get HD quality with an analogue signal, even with component HD cables (which IMO, are just an, upgraded version, if you will, of RCA/composite cables.)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
That's because the RCA or "composite" cables transfer the data in an analogue signal, whereas HDMI is digital, so it's just straight digital signal. There's no A/D conversion.

You'll never get HD quality with an analogue signal, even with component HD cables (which IMO, are just an, upgraded version, if you will, of RCA/composite cables.)
Well then I guess that answers it! If this is the case...I personally wouldn't want to use a PS3 without the HDMI cable...since the HD picture is so much clearer & detailed.

I bought my PS3 used...and I did play a couple of games on my it (connected to my HDTV) with the RCA connector cable in 480p mode. The picture was really "crappy" and I thought that something was wrong/broken with the PS3 since I purchased it used.

But then I hooked it up with the HDMI cable...and everything looked GREAT!

I highly recommend the HDMI cable to anyone not using one (and has their PS3 connected to an HDTV)!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Oh how I wish I had a PS3! I bought a brand new 360 because I have like 30 some odd games I still had, and I missed them all. Maybe in the future I'll get one, but for now I'll just have to live without one

QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Haha dude, I sold, well traded-in my x360 to get the PS3.. The only games I'm missing are Gears of War. I have my original Xbox still which feeds my Halo fixes.

Which reminds me, I have to get on EB Game's case again about my $100 discount. When I traded in, the deal was trade in 4 games (min. $8 trade-in value), and you'd get $100 off the purchase of a new PS3.

After looking at the receipt after a few weeks of owning it, I noticed that there was no discount. So yeah, that's like 2 decent titles right there for me.
QUOTE Thanks
LogicBox

Haha Nice Dark, I still have my Launch Xbox 360 (no RROD either knock on wood).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Go canada!!!!!!! | Force Quit »