New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Stream Direct TV , is this real or scam?

Thread Closed

kendsi

kendsi is on a distinguished road

I keep seeing ads for Stream Direct TV, but cannot find any website I trust to review if it is a scam?
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I cannot find any proper reviews from any legit website either.

They list several best buy awards from sites that also don't seem to exist. They have flooded the net with positive reviews, but none of the main media have reviewed them.

A whois search says they are registered to Godaddy in January 2010 and have registered the domain for 1 year.

At best they are illegally re-streaming content, but for example, I cannot see what specific channels I could stream (BBC for example). I would avoid a 1 month old company offering a service you cannot get specific details about until a trusted source says they are legit.

Avoid for now

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

This is the same old stuff that has been around for several years in a new outer package to draw in more suckers... err... users.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
fedex44

fedex44 is on a distinguished road

I think it's a scam. I signed up for it, paid almost $ 50 for unlimited membership. Although it said it worked for Macs, the software I could download was an .exe file. When I contacted their help center, there was no reply.

All that was in January. At first, the login seemed to work—although it seemed to me that all I got were free peer-to-peer channels that I could have accessed in another way. Then I got ESPN 360, which I still seem to be able to get w/o logging in anywhere.

Today (March) I tried again, and after logging in, I got an error message that the site did not exist. So, I tried contacting their help center, which one can access—BUT once I filled out all the info, I got another error message: the connection timed out—probably because there is no help center.

I will now try to contact my credit card and see if I can get my money back and have the company checked out for fraud.

Please spread the word! Like the writer of the previous post, I could not find any legitimate review, but was stupid enough to try it anyway.
ranger33

ranger33 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Fedex44. I just went through the whole process starting out at their signup sight then entering direct tv in google. All posts had direct tv somewhere in the url and I was looking for an impartial review. deep into page 7 or so of the search I came here. I got that sinking feeling pretty quickly, that the site was not quite right. The card company should give you your money back, if they're still playing by the same rules.
Rafael
tsquez

tsquez is on a distinguished road

Its a scam. if it isnt coming from DTV itself, then you can bank on it being a scamola
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I agree with tsquez. If Direct TV isn't officially advertising it then it has to be a scam.
eweitz

eweitz is on a distinguished road

I just got an e-mail offering this service. When I tried to check it out I found that the reviews seem to be planted by the company itself. I finally found this stream, and thanks to you all, probably saved myself $50 and who knows what other grief.
Manos

Manos is on a distinguished road

I found this on the website, it's the "fine print"

This service entitles you to access the location, evaluation, and or recommendation of software available from the web site and for the installation and technical support provided. www.streamdirect.tv does not host any videos or TV streams on our website. We provide an easier access to these streams which are otherwise freely available on the net. All channel names, content, and trademarks are the property of their respective owners. We are not affiliated and we do not claim to be affiliated with any of the owners or providers of videos and TV streams which are accessible through our website.
The Digital Video Recorder mentioned above is limited to a 30 day trial.
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yep the godaddy ****e has been around and its a scam ....

A friend got caught out by them on another *make you rich* scheme . They never existed and they kept taking increasing amounts out of his Account. The only way for him to save face was too get a re issued credit card ...

Stay away from GoDaddy altogether

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
komputec

komputec is on a distinguished road

The info on Stream Direct fulfilled my search for answers, but I wanted to comment on godaddy.com. When I used to build sites, I used godaddy for my domain name hosting. They also offer site hosting, but I used another host.

Is there something I do not know about this company, or is the point that it is a favorite registrar for scam sites?
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

GoDaddy are obnoxious with upselling, their CEO is a creepy weirdo, and they do not care much about the company they keep, but they are a legitimate company. The streamdirect.tv is a scam for suckers, not GoDaddy.
carnell

carnell is on a distinguished road

I just found this video which shows a walk through of some of the channels. Looks pretty legitimate to me Satellite Direct TV Walk Through
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnell View Post
I just found this video which shows a walk through of some of the channels. Looks pretty legitimate to me Satellite Direct TV Walk Through
Get it then!
proximus

proximus is on a distinguished road

Having my share of "similar" programs, with great certainty I can tell that it is a scam. Site is usually collection of links to already free channels, mostly foreign. By the way, if you look in their description, In Europe they claim that Turkey has 479 channels and in Asia they list Turkey for 45 channels.
Having lived in Europe most of my life i can tell you that not one country has hundreds of channels.
Scam sites will never list channels, just genre: movies, sports etc. Only channels listed are US free on the air channels like ABC, NBC, CBS.
Please do yourself a favor and stay away.

Thread Closed

« Gonna be a Dad!! | Leopard 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6 »